Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

267 million (US) Facebook ID's compromised

Eldorado

"Personal information belonging to hundreds of millions of Facebook users has been exposed online, it has emerged.

"The IDs, phone numbers and full names of 267 million users, most of which reside in the US, were discovered on an unsecured database on the dark web.

"Although it is not yet clear how the sensitive information was exposed, experts  speculate the database was compiled through an illegal process called 'scraping' – where automated bots copy public information from Facebook profiles."

Full report at the UK Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7811595/267-million-Facebook-users-IDs-names-phone-numbers-exposed-online-unsecured-database.html

At "Comparitech": https://www.comparitech.com/blog/information-security/267-million-phone-numbers-exposed-online/

• Haha 3

see, it pays to have been a paranoid intel type after all. 

I have zero real data on facebook to worry about. 

is it paranoia when they really ARE out to get you?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

"Personal information belonging to hundreds of millions of Facebook users has been exposed online, it has emerged.

"The IDs, phone numbers and full names of 267 million users, most of which reside in the US, were discovered on an unsecured database on the dark web.

"Although it is not yet clear how the sensitive information was exposed, experts  speculate the database was compiled through an illegal process called 'scraping' – where automated bots copy public information from Facebook profiles."

Full report at the UK Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7811595/267-million-Facebook-users-IDs-names-phone-numbers-exposed-online-unsecured-database.html

At "Comparitech": https://www.comparitech.com/blog/information-security/267-million-phone-numbers-exposed-online/

Yeah, anyone who gives google or facebook their phone number is just making it easier for the thieves.  They should at least have to pay for the info like the rest of us when we are searching for someone.

I don't use facebook anymore, but I never did give them my phone number even though they asked every time I logged in. 

I even gave the personnel director at work grief over making me link my cell phone number to our security so that when we log in the system sends us a text with a code that we need in order to log in.  How is that more secure?

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I even gave the personnel director at work grief over making me link my cell phone number to our security so that when we log in the system sends us a text with a code that we need in order to log in.  How is that more secure?

High Desertrat

Personally in that case I would buy a cheap flip phone and use it for just that, I was working out of province for over a year and bought a second phone for that city that way anyone from home didn't pay long distance and I could just tell people that I've just been busy and that's why they hadn't seen me around and not let anyone know that I was not in town.

Many of our cars are factory bugged they know where you are can hear what you are saying and phone you if your car gets stolen just so you know it didn't leave on it's own.:lol: I bought a vehicle one time and when I was playing with the buttons to see what they did and one of them had recorded several conversations that I found quite hilarious as it was mostly some teens out partying with grampa's wheels.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

High Desertrat

Personally in that case I would buy a cheap flip phone and use it for just that, I was working out of province for over a year and bought a second phone for that city that way anyone from home didn't pay long distance and I could just tell people that I've just been busy and that's why they hadn't seen me around and not let anyone know that I was not in town.

Many of our cars are factory bugged they know where you are can hear what you are saying and phone you if your car gets stolen just so you know it didn't leave on it's own.:lol: I bought a vehicle one time and when I was playing with the buttons to see what they did and one of them had recorded several conversations that I found quite hilarious as it was mostly some teens out partying with grampa's wheels.:lol:

jmccr8

Yes, Any cars that have blue tooth have that.  And the tracking devices were put in in the 80s when they introduced computerized parts to replace regulators and such. 

• Like 1