Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

JK Rowling accused of "transphobia"

Eldorado

"J.K. Rowling sparked controversy on Thursday morning over a Twitter post defending a researcher who was fired for “stating that sex is real.”

"The Harry Potter author was tweeting in support of Maya Forstater, a researcher who was fired after posting that a person cannot change their biological sex.

"“Dress however you please. Call yourself whatever you like. Sleep with any consenting adult who’ll have you. Live your best life in peace and security. But force women out of their jobs for stating that sex is real? #IStandWithMaya #ThisIsNotADrill,” she posted."

Full monty at The Hill: https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/475312-jk-rowling-sparks-controversy-for-defending-stating-that-sex-is

At CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/20/uk/jk-rowling-transgender-tweets-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

If that's transphobic then I am a 12 foot tall, yellow crab.  With small purple spots on my underbelly.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, Essan said:

If that's transphobic then I am a 12 foot tall, yellow crab.  With small purple spots on my underbelly.

Anything that doesn't agree with the narrative is something phobic or ist. 

• Like 5

If you actually read what she said, it's fully supportive of transgenders and the like.  Just also pointing out the biological reality - which presumably they want to suppress cos it's not fair!!!!!!!!!

• Like 7

Ricky Gervais is in trouble now.

"“Those awful biological women can never understand what it must be like for you becoming a lovely lady so late in life,” Gervais tweeted.

“They take their girly privileges for granted. Winning at female sports and having their own toilets. Well, enough is enough.”"

Full monty at People dot com: https://people.com/movies/ricky-gervais-backlash-tweets-deemed-transphobic/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2019 at 1:36 PM, Eldorado said:

"J.K. Rowling sparked controversy on Thursday morning over a Twitter post defending a researcher who was fired for “stating that sex is real.”

"The Harry Potter author was tweeting in support of Maya Forstater, a researcher who was fired after posting that a person cannot change their biological sex.

"“Dress however you please. Call yourself whatever you like. Sleep with any consenting adult who’ll have you. Live your best life in peace and security. But force women out of their jobs for stating that sex is real? #IStandWithMaya #ThisIsNotADrill,” she posted."

Full monty at The Hill: https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/475312-jk-rowling-sparks-controversy-for-defending-stating-that-sex-is

At CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/20/uk/jk-rowling-transgender-tweets-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

The political left are out of control.

The latest lie coming from them is that sexual preference is biological sex.

• Like 2

I'm gonna say it again.

Employers do not pay people so they can use the work place as their own personal soap box.

They pay people to do a job and cause as little drama as possible while doing it.

If you want to share your deep inner views on human sexuality, do it on your own time.

It's not beliefs that get people fired...it's the fact that they feel they need to inflict them on their coworkers while they're on the clock.

Edited by GlitterRose
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

I'm gonna say it again.

Employers do not pay people so they can use the work place as their own personal soap box.

They pay people to do a job and cause as little drama as possible while doing it.

If you want to share your deep inner views on human sexuality, do it on your own time.

It's not beliefs that get people fired...it's the fact that they feel they need to inflict them on their coworkers while they're on the clock.

Twitter is not the workplace.

And no wrong doing occurred.

Edited by RabidMongoose

Just now, RabidMongoose said:

Twitter is not the workplace.

I'm not talking about Rowling...I'm talking about the person she's defending.

9 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

I'm not talking about Rowling...I'm talking about the person she's defending.

She is defending the twitter post of the women in question.

The women was sacked for stating sexual preference is not biological sex on twitter. Not only is that true, but its not in the workplace so what does it have to do with the employer?

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 8:43 AM, Essan said:

If you actually read what she said, it's fully supportive of transgenders and the like.  Just also pointing out the biological reality - which presumably they want to suppress cos it's not fair!!!!!!!!!

Her tweet sucks and blows, as she's trying to play on both sides of the fence. I wouldn't call that being FULLY supportive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

She is defending the twitter post of the women in question.

The women was sacked for stating sexual preference is not biological sex on twitter. Not only is that true, but its not in the workplace so what does it have to do with the employer?

I knew Rowling did this on Twitter, but I thought the woman said something at work that got her fired.

If she just shared her personal views on Twitter, I don't see why that has anything to do with her employment. 

It would be like firing any one of us here for saying something controversial.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

People are so sensetive today 

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. A kinder, more understanding society where people can live without fear of censure, ridicule, or harm is what we should strive for. And whilst I am all for people having the right to express their opinions, I'm also cognisant that some of those opinions can be harmful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

A kinder, more understanding society where people can live without fear of censure, ridicule, or harm is what we should strive for.

Even if that "kinder, more understanding society" is at the threat of loss of employment or other benefits within the society?  I agree that people should be more polite and considerate but now we have people in authority ruining lives because a person differs in opinion about a controversial issue.  That is wrong on so many levels that it can't be defended.

3 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. A kinder, more understanding society where people can live without fear of censure, ridicule, or harm is what we should strive for. And whilst I am all for people having the right to express their opinions, I'm also cognisant that some of those opinions can be harmful. 

The mother was a casual friend who came into the general store for her hoagies.

The most horrible thing about it was members' kids of the local Assemblies of God and Truth Bible Church was damning him to Hell. 

https://www.thedailyjournal.com/story/news/2019/11/16/new-jersey-parents-sue-upper-deerfield-school-over-bullying-death/4206237002/

It's one of the reasons I've been sooo damn p***ed at Evangelicals for the past year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Piney said:

The most horrible thing about it was members' kids of the local Assemblies of God and Truth Bible Church was damning him to Hell. 

Then they're despicable human beings.  The bottom line is that no child should be driven to suicide because adults who are responsible for them failed to take action.  I hope the parents win the lawsuit and the system changes for the sake of the NEXT Tristan.  If it takes mass expulsions to get the message across or even criminal complaints being filed then so be it.  That includes the cowardly behavior that goes on in social media.  Bullying is true hate speech and it attacks the most vulnerable among us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

Even if that "kinder, more understanding society" is at the threat of loss of employment or other benefits within the society?  I agree that people should be more polite and considerate but now we have people in authority ruining lives because a person differs in opinion about a controversial issue.  That is wrong on so many levels that it can't be defended.

It can indeed be defended. It's quite understandable that an organisation would not want to be represented by employees whose public views they find abhorrent, especially when those views are potentially harmful. It's not just a matter of a difference in opinion; it's a matter of an opinion that violates the dignity of others. If there was something wrong on so many levels, it would be that, and not the efforts to take punitive action against it. Furthermore, there is no controversy on the issue. It's 'controversial' only because there are far too many ignorant and bigoted people out there who just can't deal with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

It's 'controversial' only because there are far too many ignorant and bigoted people out there who just can't deal with it.

Who gets to make that determination?  If the speech was on social media and not referenced to the employer, what then?  Let's be honest, what we're seeing now is retribution against differing opinions.  No doubt of that.  If you're okay with that then hopefully you never find yourself afoul of the Speech Nazis.  They have a way of changing and targeting new "hate".  Simply disagreeing with the beliefs of others is not bigotry.  Bigotry is taking action to HARM them because you disagree with them.

1 minute ago, and then said:

Who gets to make that determination?  If the speech was on social media and not referenced to the employer, what then?  Let's be honest, what we're seeing now is retribution against differing opinions.  No doubt of that.  If you're okay with that then hopefully you never find yourself afoul of the Speech Nazis.  They have a way of changing and targeting new "hate".  Simply disagreeing with the beliefs of others is not bigotry.  Bigotry is taking action to HARM them because you disagree with them.

You've got it all backwards.

It's not retribution against differing opinions. There are a number of ways that woman could have expressed her opinion without being stupid about it. If you read further about her, you will learn that she has a history of offensive, transphobic tweets and was even confronted by colleagues about them just last year. It's one thing to debate the distinction between sex and gender, another to use fear mongering and offensive, exclusionary language. If that's not bigotry, then tell me what is.

*comment removed*

Edited by jypsijemini

In a related story ....

A transgender woman is facing disciplinary action for wearing a t-shirt proclaiming that she is biologically a man.

Debbie Hayton, 51, a physics teacher in the Midlands, changed her gender from male to female in 2012.

She is now potentially facing expulsion from the LGBT+ committee of the Trades Union Congress (TUC) after wearing a t-shirt saying 'Trans women are men. Get over it.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7820423/Transgender-woman-faces-thrown-LGBT-committee.html