Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Uri Geller claims he helped Boris win

Still Waters

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Besides any "psychic or medium" can claim success after the fact. Even if they have to lie or manipulate a half-truth to do so. Geller's probably looking for 15 minutes in the spotlight.

He is an ex-Israeli solider who bayonetted 2 enemy combatants during the 5 day war.

He has claimed psychic abilities ever since. He may well have had a spiritual experience during that war, but he cannot bend spoons on demand as claimed. He has been caught on camera before physically bending them using slight of hand movements he didnt think anybody would see.

Perhaps he might, Uri hopes, feel that it would be a powerful asset having such a formidable mind as an ally. Perhaps he could use it in Brexit Negotiations. "Be careful, Jean-Claude, I have a powerful ally who can bend spoons by the sheer power of his mind." :mellow:

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

He is an ex-Israeli solider who bayonetted 2 enemy combatants during the 5 day war.

Six-Day War, and his record just says he was wounded. No confirmed kills. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Piney said:

Six-Day War, and his record just says he was wounded. No confirmed kills. 

Ok 6 day war, no he tells people it himself in one of his documentaries.

I watched it about 10 years back so dont remember its title or I would link it for you.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Peterk505 said:

Why do these 'magicians' never do anything useful - like cure cancer?

Because they are all talk and tricks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ok, lets just believe him this time. Charge him with election fraud and interference and send him to jail based on his own admission. Then we will see if he can bend the bars and escape.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, joc said:

To be fair...the facts are as outlined below:

More facts:

"The Geller method of breaking is unlike anything described in the (metallurgical) literature, from fatigue fractures at-195 degrees to brittle fractures at +600 degrees C. Why is metal bending important? Simply because we do not understand it."
Prof. John Hasted (Professorof Physics Birkbeck College, University of London, England)

"The bends in metal objects (made by Geller) could not have been made by ordinary manual means."
Dr Albert Ducrocq (Telemetry Laboratory, Foch Hospital Suren, France)

"The evidence based on metallurgical analysis of fractured surfaces (produced by Geller) indicates that a paranormal influence must have been operative in the formation of the fractures."
Dr Wilbur Franklin (Physics Department, Kent State University - U.S.A.)

"As a magician, I believe that the tests we did (with Geller) could not be duplicated in any way by a magician's methods."
Abb Dickson (Professional magician - U.S.A. and President of the International Brotherhood of Magicians 1997-9

Spoiler

My fair appraisal is some people will just never accept the paranormal because they have staked their ego against the believers.

Papageorge1  Unexplained Mysteries Forum

7 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

I always thought that magic spoons is what made people fat.

Dark side of the spoon 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

My fair appraisal is some people will just never accept the paranormal because they have staked their ego against the believers.

My fair appraisal is that charlatans are charlatans.  If he can bend a spoon with his mind....then he can also levitate a feather with his mind.

Waiting for the video....

• Like 5

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, joc said:

My fair appraisal is that charlatans are charlatans.  If he can bend a spoon with his mind....then he can also levitate a feather with his mind.

Waiting for the video....

Like you’d accept THAT video? Haha

But maybe he can and maybe bending metal is a different ability.

2 minutes ago, joc said:

Seen that 100 times. If he claimed to always be mentally prepared to perform this would be more significant.

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Hey...it was your guy ....  james Randi that told Johnny...don't let him bring his own props....Papameter should be 100% fraud...but no...you are so hooked into your own falafa that you can't recognize truth from fiction....charlatans from actual paranormal 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

It only goes to reason that if a person had the power over his own mind to bend a spoon...then he could also levitate a feather...you are a fraud yourself! End....................of discussion...............

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is really getting old being so blissful......................

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, joc said:

Hey...it was your guy ....  james Randi that told Johnny...don't let him bring his own props....Papameter should be 100% fraud...but no...you are so hooked into your own falafa that you can't recognize truth from fiction....charlatans from actual paranormal 

So, if I produced a dozen successful videos under controlled conditions your video is the only one that matters? He needs a 100% success rate to not be a fraud? How does that logic work?

If I showed you a video of a great baseball hitter striking out, that would show you....?

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

There is no spoon 

This is exactly what I thought of.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

"The Geller method of breaking is unlike anything described in the (metallurgical) literature, from fatigue fractures at-195 degrees to brittle fractures at +600 degrees C. Why is metal bending important? Simply because we do not understand it."
Prof. John Hasted (Professorof Physics Birkbeck College, University of London, England)

"The bends in metal objects (made by Geller) could not have been made by ordinary manual means."
Dr Albert Ducrocq (Telemetry Laboratory, Foch Hospital Suren, France)

"The evidence based on metallurgical analysis of fractured surfaces (produced by Geller) indicates that a paranormal influence must have been operative in the formation of the fractures."
Dr Wilbur Franklin (Physics Department, Kent State University - U.S.A.)

Hi papageorge1.  I don't want to dispute evidence of the paranormal when it appears, we would probably like  some proof that we can believe.

Yet, These quotes by supposed physicists do not seem to ring very true.  We know a pretty good deal about metal properties, especially garden variety everyday metals.  We know how they fatigue and fail, we do all kinds of testing for that. In many industries including the aerospace plant that I worked in, we test on every metal lot we use to make aircraft parts.  Tests would include stress testing at a range of temperatures, long cycle fatigue (millions of cycles to simulate stress in flight) creep at high temperatures, common things like stress , and tensile fractures. Every tensile bar we break is examined under a microscope and photographed to document results.

Crystal structure in metals is largely determined by the alloy it is composed of and how it is melted and cooled. Crystal size and orientation is very important to us.

What I am trying to say is that if these samples were unlike anything described in literature, it would have gotten a lot of notice in the academic and technical world.

There are only a limited number of way crystals can form in cooling metal .  If these bends displayed abnormal characteristics, it would far overshadow any stage act.  I am not saying I am anything more than a common engineer, but I do try to keep abreast of developments.  It would have been all over metallurgical papers and journals, and people would be scrambling to find out if the metal was stronger, or more brittle or showed any other unique features.    So far, there has been no commotion. 

When you bend a spoon at room temperature it behaves in a certain way, same with very cold and hot up to the melting transition.  As far as anybody knows, it does not matter how it is bent, by machine or by hand.  I would expect a Uri bent spoon to look the same as one bent by wrenches or on a tensile machine.

When one proclaims that the metal structure is actually different, that is a big deal and better be peer reviewed and backed up by a lot of micrographs.

I am not saying it is not out there papageorge, just that this may not be it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

When one proclaims that the metal structure is actually different, that is a big deal and better be peer reviewed and backed up by a lot of micrographs.

:nw:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@papageorge1 would you prefer to ignorantly still believe when you pass away, or be realistic?

Whatever’s more comfortable for you is fine. 

If you produce measurable and repeatable evidence, then we’ve got something to work with. 

It’s simple.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Timothy said:

@papageorge1 would you prefer to ignorantly still believe when you pass away, or be realistic?

I prefer 'Realistic' meaning believing what is most reasonable from the evidence and argumentation.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Haha 1

• The topic was locked