Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Pro's and Con's of Religion/Spirituality

XenoFish

28 minutes ago, simplybill said:

Xenofish: First off: It’s good to be back, and it’s good to see old friends.

Secondly: thank you for the great topic. I’ve been thinking about it all day, hoping to come up with a way to pinpoint my personal experience. I think I got it:

Remember the days when you’d walk into a restaurant and the hostess would smile and ask “Smoking or Non-Smoking?” Jesus had a similar approach. He once responded to a question with:  “The stone the builders rejected   has become the cornerstone. Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces; anyone on whom it falls will be crushed.”  Or to put it simply, “Broken or Crushed?”

There’s a story about Michelangelo that may or may not be true. He supposedly was asked how it was possible to turn a huge, rough chunk of granite into the magnificent statue of David. Michelangelo replied, “I take away everything that doesn’t look like David.” That’s been my experience with being a Christian. At first it took a hydraulic concrete crusher to break the granite of my abusive, self-centered, delusional personality. Fortunately, at this point in my walk with Jesus, my still-stubborn rebelliousness only requires a sledgehammer and a sturdy chisel. The goal, of course, is “More of Him, and less of me.” 

There are times when I’m sort of flabbergasted to see that progress is being made. It almost feels like an out-of-body experience. I’ll be in a difficult situation, and I want to respond with the anger and intimidation that I used in the past, but instead I respond with kindness, or gentleness. It’s as though I’m standing outside of myself thinking, “Who are you, and what did you do with Bill?” 

The goal of following Jesus isn’t to become a magnificent statue of Bill, because there’s really no reward in becoming a better “Me”. The reward, to put it simply, is being given the opportunity to become more like the Hero who saved me from myself.

And, spoken only in the way simply Bill could speak it.

That the path of Christianity was an opportunity for you to be your best you. And, it is going well.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I don't believe we have interacted before, but I already think I like you. :)

I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

Bill has been around a long time and I have missed his input we only spoke a few times but he is a good guy in my world because of how he engaged people. Jodie not that it means much but he is one of the good guys.:D

jmccr8

• Like 3

2 hours ago, simplybill said:

Secondly: thank you for the great topic. I’ve been thinking about it all day, hoping to come up with a way to pinpoint my personal experience. I think I got it:

Hi Bill

Welcome back it has been some time and always glad to see you here  You and I have only had casual exchanges but you are well formed in my mind and glad to see you back.

jmccr8

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Bill

Welcome back it has been some time and always glad to see you here  You and I have only had casual exchanges but you are well formed in my mind and glad to see you back.

jmccr8

Thank you, jmccr8. It’s good to be back and good to hear from you.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 2:44 PM, Hammerclaw said:

lol probably my all time favourite piece of music.

I still sing it often to lift my spirits   (and sometimes add "lily the pink" and "i am woman" into the mix :)  

The Seekers remain, after all these years, my favourite band, for the purity of their music and clarity of Judith's voice