Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US diplomat's wife Anne Sacoolas charged with

ExpandMyMind

3 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Looks like we'll be starting the extradition process for this cowardly woman. I'll be glad when she's finally in a prison cell.

:nw:

With other murderers. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

The US has already rejected it.

We'll see. 

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

She can't claim diplomatic immunity, she isn't married to a diplomat and she is not a diplomat.  I hope they can extradite her or at least get her U.S. drivers license revoked.

Even if she did have diplomatic immunity in the first place, it doesn't protect someone from crimes in perpetuity. It only exists to prevent blackmail and corruption for foreign diplomats while they are working in a country and once they leave any immunity they had is voided.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

That's bull. She should be extradited back to the UK to face her charges. And Desertrat is right. She can't claim diplomatic immunity.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, susieice said:

That's bull. She should be extradited back to the UK to face her charges. And Desertrat is right. She can't claim diplomatic immunity.

https://news.sky.com/story/anne-sacoolas-us-says-extraditing-diplomats-wife-would-be-egregious-abuse-11891575

The US has said it will refuse an extradition request because deporting the wife of a diplomatic is egregious abuse that sets a extraordinarily troubling precedent. She is covered by diplomatic immunity in the eyes of the USA.

Obviously, my sympathy is for the family that lost their son. Not the woman who was dangerous driving. But if the US wont extradite her then nothing can be done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, RabidMongoose said:

https://news.sky.com/story/anne-sacoolas-us-says-extraditing-diplomats-wife-would-be-egregious-abuse-11891575

The US has said it will refuse an extradition request because deporting the wife of a diplomatic is egregious abuse that sets a extraordinarily troubling precedent. She is covered by diplomatic immunity in the eyes of the USA.

Obviously, my sympathy is for the family that lost their son. Not the woman who was dangerous driving. But if the US wont extradite her then nothing can be done.

My sympathy is for the family also. I can't see why the US would give her diplomatic immunity. She's probably just as dangerous over here.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, susieice said:

My sympathy is for the family also. I can't see why the US would give her diplomatic immunity. She's probably just as dangerous over here.

I've been driving abroad and lost my concentration for a second (everyone should drive on the left) and found myself on the wrong side of the road, but luckily there wasn't any other vehicles around at the time, saying that she needs to return to the UK and explain what happened and  face the consequences.  

Edited by hetrodoxly
  • Like 3

The legal conflict to come is... between her having Diplomatic Immunity at the time of the incident, and not having it now.

Edited by acute
  • Like 3

Hang about, I thought diplomatic immunity was protection from being punished by the local laws for conducting your diplomatic duties (ie you cannot be forced to reveal what you do or do not know about something) not “not get sent to gaol for free”.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Ah, the special relationship in action. 

Not sure this speech has ever been more appropriate:

I love that word relationship. Covers all manners of sins, doesn’t it? I fear that this has become a bad relationship.

A relationship based on the President taking exactly what he wants, and casually ignoring all those things that really matter to Britain.

We may be a small country, but we’re a great one too.

• Like 1

She should have just faced the music from the start she'd never had been sent to jail anyway. accidents happen all the time. in 2001 my uncle was killed crossing the road, nothing happened to the Driver, he was arrested charged with dangerous driving but then was found not guilty, misadventure was the official verdict, ("death caused by a person accidentally while performing a legal act without negligence or intent to harm")

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

She should have just faced the music from the start she'd never had been sent to jail anyway. accidents happen all the time. in 2001 my uncle was killed crossing the road, nothing happened to the Driver, he was arrested charged with dangerous driving but then was found not guilty, misadventure was the official verdict, ("death caused by a person accidentally while performing a legal act without negligence or intent to harm")

true she should have stayed - probably would have been charged with the lesser charge of careless driving - being an American on the wrong side of the road would probably, probably have been a mitigating factor.

But now that there's talk of extradition, I assume if extradited she would have to spend some time at HM Pleasure at least while the proceedings are enacted and judgement delivered?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RAyMO said:

true she should have stayed - probably would have been charged with the lesser charge of careless driving - being an American on the wrong side of the road would probably, probably have been a mitigating factor.

But now that there's talk of extradition, I assume if extradited she would have to spend some time at HM Pleasure at least while the proceedings are enacted and judgement delivered?

She drove on the wrong side of the road?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

In a statement released through her lawyers she admitted to driving on the wrong side of the road and said she had "no time to react" when Harry's bike approached her.

Well its not intentional or down to something like alcohol, so I dont know why she is afraid of getting 14 years.

It would be more like 2 and as it isn't a violent offence she would be out after a year.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Well its not intentional or down to something like alcohol, so I dont know why she is afraid of getting 14 years.

It would be more like 2 and as it isn't a violent offence she would be out after a year.

she wont even go to jail, even now after all this.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Piney said:

:nw:

With other murderers. 

She is not a murderer ,the death was accidental ,caused through dangerous driving , without due care and attention on a public road ,so the sentence should relate to the circumstances . if she drove on the wrong side of the road it was obviously that she forgot which side is correct in the U.K.  but she should not have fled to avoid punishment ,she has to live with this forever ,  and so have the boys family . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

She is not a murderer ,the death was accidental ,caused through dangerous driving , without due care and attention on a public road ,so the sentence should relate to the circumstances . if she drove on the wrong side of the road it was obviously that she forgot which side is correct in the U.K.  but she should not have fled to avoid punishment ,she has to live with this forever ,  and so have the boys family . 

It was criminal stupidity and the fact that she was a coward and fled made it more criminal.

Then the fact that she thinks she's above the law. If she felt so guilty she would of stayed on the scene. 

Stick her in with the murderers.  It's the parents who suffer. Not her. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Piney said:

It was criminal stupidity and the fact that she was a coward and fled made it more criminal.

Then the fact that she thinks she's above the law. If she felt so guilty she would of stayed on the scene. 

Stick her in with the murderers.  It's the parents who suffer. Not her. 

She is not a criminal , Yet , but if she doesn't face her responsibility's ,a warrant will be issued for her arrest on the charges incurred , the least the U.S.A. can do is ban her from driving for life . I guess she just panicked and ran for it with out realising the trouble she is now in.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:13 AM, spud the mackem said:

She is not a criminal

She would not be a criminal if she had not lied to the police then fled the country. A tragic but unintentional mishaps gets worse when the the person flees to avoid responsibility.  

Did she apologize to the parents. admit responsibility or express regret?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2019 at 4:59 PM, hetrodoxly said:

I've been driving abroad and lost my concentration for a second (everyone should drive on the left) and found myself on the wrong side of the road, but luckily there wasn't any other vehicles around at the time, saying that she needs to return to the UK and explain what happened and  face the consequences.  

My husband was amazing driving around Ireland a couple of years ago except for one thing....right hand turns....I had to say "all the way across!!, all the way across!!, all the way across!!....every time...some kind of brain glitch....maybe because he's left handed.

42 minutes ago, skliss said:

My husband was amazing driving around Ireland a couple of years ago except for one thing....right hand turns....I had to say "all the way across!!, all the way across!!, all the way across!!....every time...some kind of brain glitch....maybe because he's left handed.

It does take some getting used to, i don't understand why other countries drive on the right, what if you're trotting along on your horse and a Robbin Hood type or Highwayman accosts you in the road, you draw your sword and run them through, but if your on the right hand side of the road your sword is facing away from them, the reason we drive on the left.

• Haha 1