Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The superiority of one's beliefs

Jodie.Lynne

It's a very good question.  I can honestly say that I've never consciously made a determination that I am better than anyone.  I've been guilty of the kinds of shallow comparisons of place, position, wealth and so on that anyone is subject to but that has never been a focus for me.  When I speak of what I believe I try to make it clear that it's what I believe not what I expect from anyone else.  It is impossible to compel people to believe a thing, they must come to it from within themselves, in their own time, if they are ever to come to it at all.  

That said, I do tend to get ruffled at times when I feel that others are playing that "I'm better than the primitives" game.  I shouldn't do so but occasionally it gets under my skin.  Ultimately we all are headed to the same place that's common to all living things.  After that, we'll each see what's waiting or we'll never know we were deluded.  

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, and then said:

That said, I do tend to get ruffled at times when I feel that others are playing that "I'm better than the primitives" game.  I shouldn't do so but occasionally it gets under my skin.  Ultimately we all are headed to the same place that's common to all living things.  After that, we'll each see what's waiting or we'll never know we were deluded.  

I can understand your irritation, it is akin to what I feel when believers say "Wait until you are in front of god and have to explain..."

None of us KNOW what happens after death, we only have a set of beliefs, but we all know that at some point, our lives will end. As to what happens after that... your guess is as good as mine. :)

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

So my question is.....

Does you belief, or lack thereof, make you feel one up on those who think differently?

In my case, one up, as I feel I have put more time, effort and fairness into forming my beliefs than 99% of the people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

In my case, one up, as I feel I have put more time, effort and fairness into forming my beliefs than 99% of the people. 

Just curious, papageorge.  Your system of belief, is it built on self awareness and the accumulation of knowledge or is there any component of belief in anything you can't quantify or measure?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

No, but I do get annoyed at obvious lies, bias's and superstitions that other's can't see.

Things like Falun Gong, Creationists, the Book of Mormon and Urantia. I think- "WTF  people it's the 21st century!"

Same, it is a no for me too, and I don’t like the liar’s who spread BS either, not every person who is religious lies, but some do and I know who they are. 
I am about being driven by integrity and humbleness and if a person is gonna tout themselves s a role model to be followed it should be obvious in their behavior. 

I personally do not offer myself or my spiritual path up as anything more than what works for me. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, and then said:

Just curious, papageorge.  Your system of belief, is it built on self awareness and the accumulation of knowledge or is there any component of belief in anything you can't quantify or measure?

Actually, my ultimate beliefs are based on Advaita Vedanta (Hindu) philosophy. That Brahman is the source of all can not be quantified or measured. It is the direct experience of the masters/rishis brought as best as possible down to human words and concepts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Often on these boards, we see an attitude of superiority, from both the believers and the non believers in religion, spirituality, or deity.

I see a lot of signs of smug satisfaction on the part of believers, with a strong dose of sympathy thrown in. 

And on the part of non-believers, I also see an intellectual smugness, being that those folk are 'smarter than the primitives'. ( yes, I have been guilty of this myself, but I am trying to be better)

For the record, I don't believe in any of the religions that man has concocted. Nor do I embrace 'spirituality', because it sounds just like religion, without the structure. Kind of like saying something isn't 'red', it's 'cinnamon'. Or "It's not a 'used car', it's 'pre-owned'." No offense is intended to anyone, just my own POV on the subject that changing the nomenclature, doesn't change the subject matter.

In my life, I really don't care what anyone believes, as long as it doesn't harm or impinge on others. If a person wants to believe that they are better than others, because of their faith, or their skin colour, or who they identify as, or who they love, then that is their prerogative. AS LONG AS... they do not try to impose those views on others. 

So my question is.....

Does you belief, or lack thereof, make you feel one up on those who think differently?

Jodie, personally I walk my path because it serves me and is an opportunity for me to grow in ways I choose to. 

it isn’t about anyone else it is about me, for me, between me, myself and I.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I'm a just gonna go get myself another cuppa coffee...

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I can understand your irritation, it is akin to what I feel when believers say "Wait until you are in front of god and have to explain..."

None of us KNOW what happens after death, we only have a set of beliefs, but we all know that at some point, our lives will end. As to what happens after that... your guess is as good as mine. :)

Hi Jodie

You know You impress me as a human being that lives being in the world. Not that long ago while I was out galavanting you were subject to what I would consider abuse and here you are showing that you are a loving and compassionate person that I am proud to call my friend so kudos to you.

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I'm a just gonna go get myself another cuppa coffee...

~

Large dark roast with 3 sugar if your getting one anyway. Please:D

jmccr8

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

So my question is.....

Those who think differently are unequal. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Jodie

You know You impress me as a human being that lives being in the world. Not that long ago while I was out galavanting you were subject to what I would consider abuse and here you are showing that you are a loving and compassionate person that I am proud to call my friend so kudos to you.

jmccr8

I second this, Jodie has stood with honor and grace regardless of the abuse she has had to dealt with. 
Love ya girl :wub:

Great thread. 

• Like 4

Those who think differently are unequal. 

Inequality must be eliminated.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

That's what inquisitions are for.

14 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Hi Will 

you are a homophobic and part of the lynching crowd how serious do think I will take you?

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Elevator up

second floor men's wear flash lights and ladies wear

ding

jmccr8

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Elevator up

Can you imagine the Urantia followers trying to pull off a inquisition? 

They'd be wiped out by 3 rednecks in 5 minutes. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

That's what inquisitions are for.

Ask questions. Then burn them for thinking different. What hypocrisy. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Piney said:

Can you imagine the Urantia followers trying to pull off a inquisition? 

They'd be wiped out by 3 rednecks in 5 minutes. :whistle:

Hi Piney

To me you are a man that means not of means not so unlike myself and in private have told you that I respect you so when I thank you for standing up for what we see a family I thank you and would stand side with you to make sure that that was how things go. You and have Jodie represented law and fair justice and we stood in different places at different times and both of you have my respect and support. Next time someone dogs Jodie I know you will stand with me. and thanks.

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
well maybe im impaired
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Will, What do you mean by inequality must be eliminated? Do you mean we should all think the same or be eliminated?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Will, What do you mean by inequality must be eliminated? Do you mean we should all think the same or be eliminated?

No two people have ever thought the same about anything. It's impossible. 

Yet today there's a movement towards eliminating "those who think differently" by those who think alike.

• Like 1