Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The superiority of one's beliefs

Jodie.Lynne

Just now, Piney said:

Congratulations Hank! Your now a member of "The Team".

@third_eye  has to give you 10 shots with a paddle and pour a bottle of sake over your head though. :yes:

I'll be waiting with a funnel. Can you imagine how ancient South Americans might have fared with the Spaniards if they had not been suppressed by their religion. An intelligent, technologically advanced, critical thinking South America? Pick a country, any country, and you could use the same argument.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

How ridiculous to saY Turing was persecuted because he was a scientist, it is all too obvious it was because of his homosexuality, like that non-scientist Oscar Wilde !

You're gurgling in your poison well logic pool, shallow as it is... 

Good luck with that burden of denial... 

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Oh, I think you are just guessing with that one. The realistic appraisal would be, we just don't have enough examples of a civilization without a strong religious culture to compare against. It is like saying if some famous author hadn't been a boozer, he'd have been a much better writer, when in fact it isn't possible to re-run history with the bloke taking the pledge, and sticking to it. He might have been flat-out writing a message on a post-it note, for all we know.

Hi Habitat

I think your just saying that because you want to start a war other than match sticks and knocking sounds what have you offered as evidence for your position?

jmccr8

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hankenhunter said:

I'll be waiting with a funnel. Can you imagine how ancient South Americans might have fared with the Spaniards if they had not been suppressed by their religion. An intelligent, technologically advanced, critical thinking South America? Pick a country, any country, and you could use the same argument.

The Maya understood fossils and plate tectonics prior to Europeans. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

Did you forget about Asia? India prior to the Muslim Crusade against books?

He was only special to you Gaijin.  Not to my ethnic group.

Science and liberal democracy both reached the greatest progress is societies with a strong religious tradition. Go figure.

2 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Habitat

I think your just saying that because you want to start a war other than match sticks and knocking sounds what have you offered as evidence for your position?

jmccr8

Position ? Nothing to do with me, that science progress exploded in the presence of a religious culture much stronger than the present.

Just now, Habitat said:

Science and liberal democracy both reached the greatest progress is societies with a strong religious tradition. Go figure.

Like the 6 Nations one the U.S. was based on?  Our religious tradition was "personal and private" with no doctrine. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

what have you offered as evidence for your position?

That's the kind of question they asked "those who think different" during the Inquisition. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

When "alien"  cultures clashed, it was invariably the one with superior technology that prevailed, and that as much by happenstance as anything else.

3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Position ? Nothing to do with me, that science progress exploded in the presence of a religious culture much stronger than the present.

okay thank for lettimg me know what an upstanding friend you are:lol: YOU DO NOT HAVE A LEG TO STAND ON AND TJANK YOU FOR BEING TJE NUMBLED KIND OF MAN YOU ARE mERRY cRASTMANAA TO YOU TOO

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Habitat said:

When "alien"  cultures clashed, it was invariably the one with superior technology that prevailed, and that as much by happenstance as anything else.

The only "superior technology" had to do with weapons and it was diseases that got 80 percent of us. The Aztecs were kicking Spanish ass prior to that.  

So it was your bacteria and viruses. Not superiority. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

Like the 6 Nations one the U.S. was based on?  Our religious tradition was "personal and private" with no doctrine. 

I am not personally attracted to organized "religion" of any kind, but I can see that if it was a nett negative for a society in the past, that society would likely have gone under, in a competitive world. 

Just now, Habitat said:

I am not personally attracted to organized "religion" of any kind, but I can see that if it was a nett negative for a society in the past, that society would likely have gone under, in a competitive world. 

It comes down to the most warlike who thrive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

The only "superior technology" had to do with weapons and it was diseases that got 80 percent of us. The Aztecs were kicking Spanish ass prior to that.  

So it was your bacteria and viruses. Not superiority. 

I would imagine that once they got on the trail of gold, eventually the military technology would have prevailed, with more numbers employed, those Spaniards were in quite small numbers.

1b88ec3004d2072c83a13a03cf7a8d05.png

I asked fr 2 teen burgers and 4 double buddies so what i8s you point?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Habitat said:

I would imagine that once they got on the trail of gold, eventually the military technology would have prevailed, with more numbers employed, those Spaniards were in quite small numbers.

Prior to the "die off" Ships were afraid to stop on the East Coast of North America. Colonists didn't come until the land was "widowed". 

• Like 6

Just now, jmccr8 said:

I asked fr 2 teen burgers and 4 double buddies so what i8s you point?

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gold/:huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Gold/:huh:

That was their goal.

1 minute ago, Piney said:

The Maya understood fossils and plate tectonics prior to Europeans. 

Agreed. But, and it's a big one, if their thoughts and behaviours weren't directed by the priests,  what more marvels would they have accomplished if they'd been allowed free thought?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hankenhunter said:

Agreed. But, and it's a big one, if their thoughts and behaviours weren't directed by the priests,  what more marvels would they have accomplished if they'd been allowed free thought?

You are privy to their thoughts, and how the priests influenced them ? Needless to say, it was de rigeur for colonizing powers to ridicule the religious "superstitions" of those conquered, and proclaim it had "held them back", when their own beliefs were no less "strange" to outsiders.

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

No two people have ever thought the same about anything. It's impossible. 

Yet today there's a movement towards eliminating "those who think differently" by those who think alike.

Who thinks alike? Who is in danger of being eliminated? 
Are you referring to yourself? If so what is it you even think so far you only quote the UB? 
I think you need to think for yourself or at least include your thoughts when you quote the UB.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You are privy to their thoughts, and how the priests influenced them ? Needless to say, it was de rigeur for colonizing powers to ridicule the religious "superstitions" of those conquered, and proclaim it had "held them back", when their own beliefs were no less "strange" to outsiders.

They're religion was pounded into the rocks for all to see. Try to keep up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I wonder what else they might have accomplished if their best artisans hadn't spent all their time chiseling out fantastically shaped gods all òver the temples dedicated to their gods. Boom shakalaka! 

• Like 1