Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The superiority of one's beliefs

Jodie.Lynne

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

I am such a villain ! Needless to say, if people have "beliefs" on any subject, it is assumed they think their belief is superior, people don't want to identify with what they consider inferior. You could say as much about arguments about which is the best beer, but if you are like me and don't drink beer, then it really isn't something to get too excited about. If people become annoyed by someone sounding superior, it can only be because it is undermining, even in a very small way, your own belief.  If you have a belief that is rock-solid, or no belief on the subject, you could not care less. I once say an old guy chase two young Mormons all the way to his front gate, they were on their way out anyway, so there was no need for such hostility. Unless they had rattled him, by reminding him of something he wasn't that settled about, in his own mind.

Much like music? Some ONLY listen to country nothing else. Others this, that or another kind and then there's others who enjoy listening to it all...

34 minutes ago, Debra F. II said:

Much like music? Some ONLY listen to country nothing else. Others this, that or another kind and then there's others who enjoy listening to it all...

• Haha 3

On 12/23/2019 at 7:44 PM, XenoFish said:

No idea what you're going on about. My comment is more about personal experimentation than anything. Basically saying that shaking up beliefs from time to time is a good thing. Shifts one's reality tunnel. Might notice something different. 

Many moons ago we had a thread like you are suggesting, on the thread (only) we could only post as a believer if we were not one and vice versa. 

Jodie, and Eighty probably remember, what struck the two sisters that started it was how gracious, humble and inclusive the non believers were as believers. 

They actually posted their reasons for starting the thread and how they had intended to start the thread for other reasons and came away seeing the non believers a lot more favorably.

It has been years why not start a similar thread.

Ask a question: why do you follow the path you do? Title it “Walking in Another’s Shoes”

You can only post and respond in the thread as a non believer if you are a believer and if you are a believer you can only respond and post as a non believer. 

And since you are great at monitoring you keep it on track. 

It will be fun. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Jodie, and Eighty probably remember,

I think I do remember that. It asked people to 'switch sides', IIRC. Believers take the part of non-believers, and vice versa.

Is that the one?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

I think I do remember that. It asked people to 'switch sides', IIRC. Believers take the part of non-believers, and vice versa.

Is that the one?

Yes! Robbie was there too. 

• Like 1

Do we get to reality through role play ? I doubt it.

16 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Do we get to reality through role play ? I doubt it.

No, but as a rational being, I think it is helpful to try to think like those you disagree with.

In some ways, it is empathic. "Oh, I see, she thinks this because..."

In my old line of work, you sometimes had to try to see what the other person saw/felt/was thinking, in order to piece together the events that transpired.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Many moons ago we had a thread like you are suggesting, on the thread (only) we could only post as a believer if we were not one and vice versa. 

Jodie, and Eighty probably remember, what struck the two sisters that started it was how gracious, humble and inclusive the non believers were as believers. 

They actually posted their reasons for starting the thread and how they had intended to start the thread for other reasons and came away seeing the non believers a lot more favorably.

Ask a question: why do you follow the path you do? Title it “Walking in Another’s Shoes”

You can only post and respond in the thread as a non believer if you are a believer and if you are a believer you can only respond and post as a non believer. 

It will be fun. 

It's a nice idea but I can see it devolving swiftly. It would either be hijacked or belittling would start. Like it always does. I think that some people hate religion because of what believers have done to them. Maybe they think of god as a holy vending machine. Even my adventures into the occult have been mocked due to me not having a "mystical experience". 

I appreciate the idea though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Yes! Robbie was there too. 

I think that was my thread :lol:  It's not a completely new idea, maybe someone else began a similar thread possibly, too. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Are you sure? I would swear it was in the first, but I have to admit that I've not seen either J 1 or J 2 in decades.

I'm positive although they have similar scenes so easy to confuse.  In Jaws there's a scene on the beach on the 4th of July and there are several boats patrolling and Brody is on the beach, and 2 kids cause a panic with a fake shark fin (while the real shark slips into 'the pond' where a few other people including Brody's son are).  In Jaws 2 there is a similar scene on the beach with Brody (whom some people in the town think is just paranoid when he says that there is another giant shark around), and they see a large shadow in the water and Brody freaks out and starts shooting into it and it turns out to be a school of bluefish.  Brody then is replaced as Sheriff after this incident but luckily for Amity Island, Martin Brody don't need no stinkin badges in order to lay a smackdown on another shark.

Kind of a Jaws dork, was one of those movies that whenever I'd catch it on TV I'd end up watching to the end yet again.  The original has one of my favorite scenes from any movie, where Quint talks about being on the USS Indianapolis (dialogue that actor Robert Shaw co-wrote); it's amazing that in such a violent and gory movie that one of the darkest scenes occurs when the shark isn't even around.  I agree with this reviewer at https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2017/08/the-uss-indianapolis-and-quints-monologue/ : "There are rather too many films out there that achieve less characterization in two hours than this scene manages in four minutes." 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

I think that was my thread :lol:  It's not a completely new idea, maybe someone else began a similar thread possibly, too. 

I thought it was the two sisters that used to be on here, could be wrong could have been yours. Anyways thank you for the idea. :wub:

On 12/22/2019 at 12:07 AM, Jodie.Lynne said:

Often on these boards, we see an attitude of superiority, from both the believers and the non believers in religion, spirituality, or deity.

I see a lot of signs of smug satisfaction on the part of believers, with a strong dose of sympathy thrown in. 

And on the part of non-believers, I also see an intellectual smugness, being that those folk are 'smarter than the primitives'. ( yes, I have been guilty of this myself, but I am trying to be better)

For the record, I don't believe in any of the religions that man has concocted. Nor do I embrace 'spirituality', because it sounds just like religion, without the structure. Kind of like saying something isn't 'red', it's 'cinnamon'. Or "It's not a 'used car', it's 'pre-owned'." No offense is intended to anyone, just my own POV on the subject that changing the nomenclature, doesn't change the subject matter.

In my life, I really don't care what anyone believes, as long as it doesn't harm or impinge on others. If a person wants to believe that they are better than others, because of their faith, or their skin colour, or who they identify as, or who they love, then that is their prerogative. AS LONG AS... they do not try to impose those views on others. 

So my question is.....

Does you belief, or lack thereof, make you feel one up on those who think differently?

I believe in spirituality although I dont think what organised religion has to say about it is quite right.

To me I`m indifferent if someone else does or doesnt believe in anything. I do look down on some when they are debating a topic, but that occurs when they are making factually inaccurate statements while ignoring what science actually says. The type of person who claims science says this or that to support their stances when it doesnt.

Also most views arent original, they are just people passing on ideas they have picked up off society or reasoned to be right. Therefore I do like it when someone appears with truly original thinking, even if I dont agree with it. They are the best people to debate with as you actually get to learn something then.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sherapy said:

It will be fun. 

(Oh, sounds sinister! lol

Just asking but isn't that kind of like imposing? Just in a different sense.

I'm sure it was very intetesting, as I am finding this one to be, I am enjoying both sides, but most likely wouldn't partake.)

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Debra F. II said:

(Oh, sounds sinister! lol

I'm sure it was very intetesting, as I am finding this one to be, I am enjoying both sides, but most likely wouldn't partake.)

You should partake. I hope you do. It is to be expected to be shy at first, most don’t consider any other side but their own. 

Thank you Jodie Girl for starting this. 

I took Philosophy a few years ago and my first assignment was to argue for Reincarnation with facts. I thought this is not possible, but I did it and it was invaluable how much it taught me.

It is good to challenge ourselves the best avenue to be a quality critical thinker is to posit from sides that aren’t ours. 

I will be posting shorty to @eight bits, I am getting my ducks in a row at the moment. I choose him because he will bring a challenge and in it I get an awesome opportunity to grow. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

You should partake. I hope you do. It is to be expected to be shy at first, most don’t consider any other side but their own. 

I took Philosophy a few years ago and my first assignment was to argue for Reincarnation with facts. I thought this is not possible, but I did it and it was invaluable how much it taught me.

It is good to challenge ourselves the best avenue to be a quality critical thinker is to posit from sides that aren’t ours. 

I will be posting shorty to @eight bits, I am getting my ducks in a row at the moment. I choose him because he will bring a challenge and in it I get an awesome opportunity to grow. 

Thank you but I wouldn't allow myself to roleplay, it would be wrong for me to do so in that manner; by doing so I would have to say and think thoughts that were not in my own beliefs, therefore doing harm toward myself and doing wrong toward my God. 

That is sweet, thanks but by no means am I shy ; )

It doesnt mean I wont learn less 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

The rest of my response...

Hope no one takes this wrong...

It also doesnt mean that I wont grow. I most likely will be following it and throwing out some ranks of the thanks, sad's, confused and likes.

You are so correct, putting yourself in roles, are great ways to learn (more people really should try it).

I have also taken many classes on the subject, I took three years back to back of physical classes to become an ordained minister (not that on line stuff you see today) and I learned a lot there, (only because I didnt want someone else I knew, that was attended to drive long distances alone but...) i paid my way, did my homework and studied endlessly because I found it absolutely fasinating.

I was not ordained, I refuse to carry that title! That part I had no interest in & I had a lot of people mad and wondering why! 

I've studied Buddhist and buddhism, many of the Indian God's, Satanism and the occult which I did a class report on. I was an active Wiccan practitioner - group and solitary. Had a close Shamman friend that filled me in there, participated in countless native American sweats, which I missed tremendously! 

I've studied the Torah, the Bible, reiki, feng shui, looked into scientology;  cant leave out the study of kamasutra ; ) did the required studies and classes for full submersion baptism; just to name a few and I am not done yet : ) i have a list of future studies to fulfill.

By no means am I saying it makes me superior or that I may know more about religion than anyone else! I would never claim that! 

I'm just saying the beliefs I have now are strong and I am not ignorant!

I have challenged myself to the fullest, I have no reasons to impress, or prove anything to anyone.

"Quality critical thinker" sorry but I don't care to be one... & have no desire to gain someone's else views especially through this kind of role playing.

And my growth continues today and always will, reguardless : )

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Debra F. II said:

It also doesnt mean that I wont grow. I most likely will be following it and throwing out some ranks of the thanks, sad's, confused and likes.

You are so correct, putting yourself in roles, are great ways to learn (more people really should try it).

I have also taken many classes on the subject, I took three years back to back of physical classes to become an ordained minister (not that on line stuff you see today) and I learned a lot there, (only because I didnt want someone else I knew, that was attended to drive long distances alone but...) i paid my way, did my homework and studied endlessly because I found it absolutely fasinating.

I was not ordained, I refuse to carry that title! That part I had no interest in & I had a lot of people mad and wondering why! 

I've studied Buddhist and buddhism, many of the Indian God's, Satanism and the occult which I did a class report on. I was an active Wiccan practitioner - group and solitary. Had a close Shamman friend that filled me in there, participated in countless native American sweats, which I missed tremendously! 

I've studied the Torah, the Bible, reiki, feng shui, looked into scientology;  cant leave out the study of kamasutra ; ) did the required studies and classes for full submersion baptism; just to name a few and I am not done yet : ) i have a list of future studies to fulfill.

By no means am I saying it makes me superior or that I may know more about religion than anyone else! I would never claim that! 

I have challenged myself to the fullest, I have no reasons to impress, or prove anything to anyone.

"Quality critical thinker" sorry but I don't care to be one... & have no desire to gain someone's else views especially through this kind of role playing.

I get it you have a path that suits you, no worries. All the best. 

24 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I get it you have a path that suits you, no worries. All the best. 

Thanks, I forgot these ones, Numerology, Metaphysics, Cards of your Destiny, Zen, and A course in Miracles, I'm probably forgetting a few others. I've gone as far as cross referencing and comparing such as Catholic vs Baptist, Lutheran vs Methodist, etc.

I find it all very interesting & thanks for understanding.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Debra F. II said:

Thank you but I wouldn't allow myself to roleplay,

Of course, you will or won't participate in Jodie's thread, just as you see fit. Also, I take Habbie's point that developing the case for opposing viewpoints could involve role play (and for some people that's a good way to approach the task).

But it is not necessarily role play. Our ideas exist independently of us, and they have the relaitionships they have among themselves, regardless of the paths we happen to trace as we explore them.

The task can be approached in that spirit. What we know for sure when we encounter an opposing viewpoint from a thoughtful advocate is that there is some other path through the field besides the one we happen to have taken. So what about that path? What's it like? Where does it lead that my path doesn't? What does the world look like from over there? Can we still be friends? ...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Debra F. II said:

How so? Is anyone forcing you to participate? Has anyone threatened you with dire consequences if you don't? I don't understand your statement.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Debra F. II said:

What did you learn from all the hoping around?

On 12/26/2019 at 11:24 PM, Jodie.Lynne said:

No, but as a rational being, I think it is helpful to try to think like those you disagree with.

In some ways, it is empathic. "Oh, I see, she thinks this because..."

In my old line of work, you sometimes had to try to see what the other person saw/felt/was thinking, in order to piece together the events that transpired.

Yes agreed, placing myself in other people's shoes is very helpful in my current line of work. I find myself doing it all the time as well as asking others to. It helps me to understand certain outcomes, responses and it relieves a lot of workplace stress and yes it has at times resolved workplace conficts.

But that's workplace issues not the subject of religion. Religion is a delicate matter for most, obviously : )

When a person has walked the life of a non believer, they've already wore those shoes. It's just my feeling on it but I know I'd rather not revisit that time in my life.

5 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

How so? Is anyone forcing you to participate? Has anyone threatened you with dire consequences if you don't? I don't understand your statement.

Of course not! It was a matter of speaking and a thought on a prior response...