Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

74 years on - was General Patton murdered ?

UM-Bot

If Patton would have lived. I often wonder if he would have committed suicide due to his condition. He was a proud soldier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UM-Bot said:

General George S. Patton, who died in 1945, was one of the most celebrated military leaders of World War II.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/333185/74-years-on--was-general-patton-murdered

If the US military were given orders to off someone then why would they use a car accident? A car accident which I might add didnt kill him outright but left him unable to talk for 12 days. He died in hospital from heart failure 12 days later due to his respiratory system no longer functioning properly.

What about his wife? She was allowed to visit him yet they didnt pop her off? There was absolutely no evidence of fowl play or even the suggestion of it back then. This is history revisionists trying to create new conspiracy theories.

• Like 3

There's strong grounds for suspicion, as he was almost fanatical about carrying on the fight, this time against the Russians.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

What about his wife? She was allowed to visit him yet they didnt pop her off? There was absolutely no evidence of fowl play or even the suggestion of it back then. This is history revisionists trying to create new conspiracy theories.

It's actually a old conspiracy theory dredged back up. Many of his soldiers, my grandfather included, thought he was murdered. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

There's strong grounds for suspicion, as he was almost fanatical about carrying on the fight, this time against the Russians.

Big time!! He was talking to his Native scouts about it. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

If the US military were given orders to off someone then why would they use a car accident? A car accident which I might add didnt kill him outright but left him unable to talk for 12 days. He died in hospital from heart failure 12 days later due to his respiratory system no longer functioning properly.

well, if he'd been shot that would surely have looked suspicious. Who could he have been shot by without it looking suspicious? Some Private who just happened to have his rifle loaded and cocked and ready just as he was inspecting the troops? Some mystery sniper that they could blame on the Germans? The British helped Hitler discreetly get rid of Rommel after his involvement (if on the periphery) of the July 20 plot by shooting up his car, so giving Hitler the chance to announce that he'd died of his injuries, but now that the war was over they'd have had to be more careful getting rid of Patton.  

1 hour ago, Hawken said:

If Patton would have lived. I often wonder if he would have committed suicide due to his condition. He was a proud soldier.

I think he was to proud to have done that, he definitely was not a coward and hard times didnt ruffle his feathers.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

well, if he'd been shot that would surely have looked suspicious. Who could he have been shot by without it looking suspicious? Some Private who just happened to have his rifle loaded and cocked and ready just as he was inspecting the troops? Some mystery sniper that they could blame on the Germans? The British helped Hitler discreetly get rid of Rommel after his involvement (if on the periphery) of the July 20 plot by shooting up his car, so giving Hitler the chance to announce that he'd died of his injuries, but now that the war was over they'd have had to be more careful getting rid of Patton.  

What kind of parallel universe are you living in?

Rommel committed suicide via cyanide pill for his part in a plot to kill Adolf Hitler. As he was a war hero the German people were told he had died of a heart attack instead.

There is no evidence that Patton was assassinated and if he was I would have expected the guilty military to have been far more competent at it than they were. As it was he cracked his head on the glass window inside his car damaging his neck and spinal cord. He was left alive for 12 days until his heart finally failed but during that time was talking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Piney said:

It's actually a old conspiracy theory dredged back up. Many of his soldiers, my grandfather included, thought he was murdered. 

Yeah, his enemies were world wide. He did his job extremely well and a lot of people dont like it when others do good or have certain authority'sthey think someone shouldn't. 

I am surprised that an accident took place to begin with, you can dodge bullets, tanks, bombs and war debris for years on end and survive but a parked vehicle on the side of the road disables you. Yeah somethings strange there with this event.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Debra F. II said:

Yeah, his enemies were world wide. He did his job extremely well and a lot of people dont like it when others do good or have certain authority'sthey think someone shouldn't. 

I am surprised that an accident took place to begin with, you can dodge bullets, tanks, bombs and war debris for years on end and survive but a parked vehicle on the side of the road disables you. Yeah somethings strange there with this event.

He scared a lot of American politicians to death. He would of won anything he ran for, including president. 

One of my Native grandfather's, Wilbur Gould, was one of his scouts and worshiped him. 

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

What kind of parallel universe are you living in?

Rommel committed suicide via cyanide pill for his part in a plot to kill Adolf Hitler. As he was a war hero the German people were told he had died of a heart attack instead.

There is no evidence that Patton was assassinated and if he was I would have expected the guilty military to have been far more competent at it than they were. As it was he cracked his head on the glass window inside his car damaging his neck and spinal cord. He was left alive for 12 days until his heart finally failed but during that time was talking.

What are you arguing about? Hitler may have wanted his revenge on the perpetrators of the July 20 plot (and can you blame him), but out of recognition of Rommel's status as a national hero he preferred to do it discreetly, and the injuries he sustained when the RAF shot up his car was just the opportunity he needed. Similarly, to have obviously bumped off Patton, or in some circumstances that might have made people go <_<, would have aroused fury wouldn't it. They couldn't have been sure that a staged accident would have been fatal of course, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't have looked unduly suspicious, and it would at least have gotten him out of the way for a while while they thought of some other way of keeping him quiet. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hawken said:

He was a staunch believer in reincarnation and that suicide put you in a worse situation in the next life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

What are you arguing about? Hitler may have wanted his revenge on the perpetrators of the July 20 plot (and can you blame him), but out of recognition of Rommel's status as a national hero he preferred to do it discreetly, and the injuries he sustained when the RAF shot up his car was just the opportunity he needed. Similarly, to have obviously bumped off Patton, or in some circumstances that might have made people go <_<, would have aroused fury wouldn't it. They couldn't have been sure that a staged accident would have been fatal of course, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't have looked unduly suspicious, and it would at least have gotten him out of the way for a while while they thought of some other way of keeping him quiet. 

History revision doesnt work on me.

The state funeral of Rommel is there on YouTube for everyone to watch and the official COD is heart failure. His wife and two sons present at the funeral know he had taken a cyanide pill, but play along with it for the best interests of Germany.

Rommel had 3 choices:

Public trial followed by execution (which would have harmed his image and German moral).

Suicide (the SS would come collect him by car and take him someone where he would swallow a cyanide capsule).

Visit Hitler and give a defence (while not good for our side of the conflict, maybe he should have had the balls to go tell Hitler why he did it and tell him he would cost Germany the war).

Edited by RabidMongoose

• 1 month later...

Don't know if my dad  had heard anything about Patton  being assinated,He was in Italy at the time  of the famous  incident where Patton slapped a soldier. Didn't see it  happen, but i guess heard about it through the grapevine.Rommel was a war hero to the german people, so Hitler  gave him the choice of suicide by  cyanide.One of the Garmisch cousins had been an officer and in North Africa as the same time as Rommel, but he wasn;t part of the Afrika Corps, and later wound up on the eastern Front.Dad did a TDY to germany and England in 1958,59 for Security Service out at Kelly AF Base, san Antonio. He too had been in North Africa.So he and his cousin had  that much in common.

What a load of nonsense.

If you wanted to assassinate someone, then you have to KILL them, not leave them injured and hope that they die.

If the US military wanted to kill him then it would have been easy to get a local German demobbed soldier - preferably a Nazi, SS would be perfect - and equip them with a weapon (remember that there were still lots of small arms around, both Allied and German).

They'd be the sniper, with the 'public' motivation of killing Patton as revenge for the defeat of Germany.

No need for elaborate plans that have a small chance of success.

Sheesh - you people would be terrible as covert operatives.

56 minutes ago, Obviousman said:

If the US military wanted to kill him then it would have been easy to get a local German demobbed soldier - preferably a Nazi, SS would be perfect - and equip them with a weapon (remember that there were still lots of small arms around, both Allied and German).

Yes, but how many documented cases were there of disaffected former Nazis assassinating senior Allied figures? None at all. The fanatical Nazi remaining holed up after the surrender is a figure of fiction. To have one of your highest profile senior generals suddenly bumped off by one would have looked so fishy that even Comrade Stalin wouldn't have thought he could get away with something so obviously faked,. 

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome

23 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Yes, but how many documented cases were there of disaffected former Nazis assassinating senior Allied figures? None at all. The fanatical Nazi remaining holed up after the surrender is a figure of fiction. To have one of your highest profile senior generals suddenly bumped off by one would have looked so fishy that even Comrade Stalin wouldn't have thought he could get away with something so obviously faked,. 

Yeah, sorry about that. There have never been any instances of disaffected people murdering famous figures.

• Martin Luther King (killed by James Earl Ray, who hated African Americans)
  • Abraham Lincoln (killed by John Wilkes Booth, who supported the Confederacy)
  • Archduke Franz Ferdinand (killed by Gavrilo Princip, a Serbian nationalist though admittedly he said he was aiming for GEN Potiorek)

etc

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:34 AM, Debra F. II said:

An old friend, a Master Sergeant with three combat tours died unexpectedly of heart failure. No foul play, no signs of heart disease. Another, had collapsed and died of walking pneumonia. Unfortunately, war sometimes is not as dangerous as everyday life back home.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trelane said:

An old friend, a Master Sergeant with three combat tours died unexpectedly of heart failure. No foul play, no signs of heart disease. Another, had collapsed and died of walking pneumonia. Unfortunately, war sometimes is not as dangerous as everyday life back home.

Absolutely. I had a semi-girlfriend who went home on Xmas leave. Died suddenly, kinda natural causes. She did Navy physicals every year, was fit, etc. No-one saw it coming.

On 12/22/2019 at 9:24 AM, Debra F. II said:

I think he was to proud to have done that, he definitely was not a coward and hard times didnt ruffle his feathers.

Suicide has nothing to do with cowardice...

• Like 2

Bill O'Reilly wrote a good book on this topic:  KILLING PATTON

There had been several close calls on his life after the combat ceased but prior to his vehicle smash up.  The other near misses were very odd in their nature.  In one, an allied pilot in a Mustang tried to shoot down the plane he was riding in.  I think the guy was a force of nature at that point and his enemies were scared spitless of what he might do, politically, post war.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, and then said:

The other near misses were very odd in their nature.  In one, an allied pilot in a Mustang tried to shoot down the plane he was riding in.

Sadly, in wartime blue-on-blue incidents are far more common than we'd like.

In this instance, the L-5 does bear a resemblance to the Fi156 Storch. Reports also indicate that the attacking aircraft could have been a Polish Spitfire but this is not confirmed. Apparently it crashed (CFIT) whilst the L-5 was 'hedge hopping' trying to avoid the attacking aircraft.

Edited by Obviousman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Obviousman said:

Sadly, in wartime blue-on-blue incidents are far more common than we'd like.

In this instance, the L-5 does bear a resemblance to the Fi156 Storch. Reports also indicate that the attacking aircraft could have been a Polish Spitfire but this is not confirmed. Apparently it crashed (CFIT) whilst the L-5 was 'hedge hopping' trying to avoid the attacking aircraft.

You're right, my bad.  It was a Spitfire, not a Mustang.  I guess it was the total number of close calls that raised suspicion.