Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Super Bowl python hunt 'glorifies' slaughter

Still Waters

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) wants the Miami Super Bowl Host Committee to cancel the 2020 Python Bowl, saying the hunt glorifies "the slaughter of snakes."

In a letter to Rodney Barreto, chair of the Host Committee, and to all committee members, PETA President Ingrid Newkirk said the event could potentially upset animal-friendly football fans because it's disrespectful to the Burmese pythons, which are an invasive species. She also said that footballs made of python skin, which the committee is planning to produce on a small scale as gifts to guests, "trivialize the animals' deaths."

"The NFL should play no part in Florida's war on wildlife. When inexperienced and untrained individuals go barging about in forests and swamps on a macho mission to kill, things don't end well," Newkirk wrote in the letter.

https://phys.org/news/2019-12-super-bowl-python-glorifies-slaughter.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree whole heartedly. PETA started out with the best of intentions, but like any organization, the more people that join, the quicker it goes wahoonie shaped. If I lived in Florida, my crossbow and I would be very busy with pythons, hogs, iguanas, and any other invasive species. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Agree whole heartedly. They started out with the best of intentions, but like any organization, the more people that join, the quicker it goes wahoonie shaped. If I lived in Florida, my crossbow and I would be very busy with pythons, hogs, iguanas, and any other invasive species. 

peta never had the best of intentions. Newkirk has always been delusional and supported eco-terrorist groups and "animal liberation" groups that have ALWAYS done more harm then good. That pathetic woman has killed more animals than she will have ever aided in her worthless life. 

The state of animal rights will take a GIGANTIC leap forward when that disgusting woman finally croaks. I hope they use her cadaver for unethical medical research. 

Edited by Imaginarynumber1