Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

New Mexico teen gets 30-days for murder

149 posts in this topic

Eldorado

"A New Mexico teen who allegedly fatally shot a man — and told him he deserved it — will serve just 30 days behind bars for murder, according to officials.

"Santiago Armijo, 17, is one of two teens involved in the murder of Larry DeSantiago, 25, at a park in Albuquerque in March 2018. Witnesses told investigators they saw DeSantiago chase Armijo and his friend, Jeremiah De La Pena, 16, toward the top of a hill before Armijo shot him in the chest."

Full report at Fox: https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-mexico-teen-30-days-jail-murder

"Armijo also pleaded guilty to tampering with evidence, unlawful possession of a handgun and conspiracy to commit armed robbery."

Full monty at the AP: https://apnews.com/ee505c423a09ed23970ad0a8b0045850

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

susieice

:angry: This is bull!

• Like 5

and then

I wonder who his next victim will be?  Lawlessness is like a disease and it is now spreading in this country.

• Like 4

freetoroam

I no longer wonder why law abiding Americans want to own a gun. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

RabidMongoose

Can the victims family not appeal to the state governor.

This is clearly wrong, the kid should be on 20 years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Scholar4Truth

30 days? that's a simple slap on the wrist and an insult to the victims family. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Desertrat56
1 hour ago, Scholar4Truth said:

30 days? that's a simple slap on the wrist and an insult to the victims family. 

He must be related to someone, that is how judges work in this area.  That is why I always vote against keeping a sitting judge when they have to put their name on the ballot.  We need to clean house over and over until the old boys club has died off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

and then
On 12/24/2019 at 12:32 PM, freetoroam said:

I no longer wonder why law abiding Americans want to own a gun. 

I've carried a 9MM or a .45 handgun for years.  I walk dark, mostly deserted rural county roads under the stars, usually, and on occasion I have met individuals who I felt the need to be able to "plead my case" with when they began acting like angry jerks.  There's just something about young, drunk males that makes them want to see how far they can push someone when they feel that person is vulnerable.  Then there are the meth freaks.  THEY are truly dangerous if you pop up on their "radar" when they're 2 or 3 days into a binge.  

Thankfully those occasions have been very few and far between.  I've never yet had to actually draw the weapon, thank God.  But if the day comes when my choice is a beat down or worse... OR, using deadly force, I would do it.  I think it would be a horrible thing but every person has a right to defend their life, especially when they're minding their own business :yes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

and then
5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

He must be related to someone, that is how judges work in this area.  That is why I always vote against keeping a sitting judge when they have to put their name on the ballot.  We need to clean house over and over until the old boys club has died off.

I agree.  I also would like the law to hold some consequences for judges that casually turn these violent offenders loose and then they kill or rape again.  If a judge's decision could be revisited in those cases and reviewed by a higher court or independent body and that judge lose their seat or even do time behind it, that might make them a little more careful about playing around with the safety of the public.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Farmer77

The problem with this case is the law itself

Prosecutors had asked the judge to hand down the maximum sentence of four years behind bars. A spokesman for the 2nd Judicial District said the office plans to ask the judge to reconsider the sentence.

When you look at 4 years being the maximum 30 days in jail makes sense based on good behavior, time served etc. due to precedent. Not that it actually makes sense.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

and then
On 12/24/2019 at 1:01 PM, RabidMongoose said:

Can the victims family not appeal to the state governor.

This is clearly wrong, the kid should be on 20 years.

That's a good question.  There SHOULD be some way to review cases that are obviously a gross miscarriage of justice.  The problem over here is that judges have tremendous power and very little if any consequences for negligent rulings.  The worst that happens to them is that IF they are on a bench where they have to stand for re-election, they may lose.  Beyond that, I think lifetime appointees can only be removed through Impeachment and that is RARE.

and then
18 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

When you look at 4 years being the maximum 30 days in jail makes sense based on good behavior, time served etc. due to precedent. Not that it actually makes sense.

That doesn't even begin to be justice.  I wouldn't feel the need to crucify the boy but letting him walk with no real consequences, after he felt entitled to END some guy who was chasing him, is nearly a guarantee that he'll reoffend at some point.  Had he been caught burning a property for insurance, he'd probably go away for several years.  You don't screw around with defrauding insurance companies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Farmer77
7 minutes ago, and then said:

That doesn't even begin to be justice.  I wouldn't feel the need to crucify the boy but letting him walk with no real consequences, after he felt entitled to END some guy who was chasing him, is nearly a guarantee that he'll reoffend at some point.  Had he been caught burning a property for insurance, he'd probably go away for several years.  You don't screw around with defrauding insurance companies.

Agreed.

• Like 1

Booth
On 1/10/2020 at 6:35 PM, Farmer77 said:

Thank you for pointing that out, for those who didn't bother to read the article. Don't blame the Hispanic female judge(hardly a good ol' boy); blame the legislature. Her hands were tied. The most she could've given him was 4 years in juvie. Is that justice? Of course not, but that's what the law allows. 

Real Americans ought to be asking the larger question: Should this juvenile have even been in our country at all? 

Desertrat56
10 minutes ago, Booth said:

Real Americans ought to be asking the larger question: Should this juvenile have even been in our country at all? 

What the hell does that mean?  Do you know something that was not in the article?  What are you suggesting, sending juvenile offenders to other countries so that you don't have to think about them?  What makes you think he doesn't belong in the U.S at all?  I didn't see anything that said he was an illegal immigrant.  If you did, please post it.  I already know your views on who should and should not be in the U.S.

• Like 4

Farmer77
1 hour ago, Booth said:

Thank you for pointing that out, for those who didn't bother to read the article. Don't blame the Hispanic female judge(hardly a good ol' boy); blame the legislature. Her hands were tied. The most she could've given him was 4 years in juvie. Is that justice? Of course not, but that's what the law allows. 

Damn man I was all set to give you a like and then I read the last sentence. There is nothing in the article that intimates he is even an immigrant let alone an illegal immigrant.

So im curious do you have the cajones to say out loud why you think we should be asking if he should be here at all?

• Thanks 2

Farmer77

@Booth Ya know what while we're at it why dont you go ahead and explain what makes up a real American for us.

• Thanks 2

and then
36 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

The most she could've given him was 4 years in juvie. Is that justice? Of course not, but that's what the law allows. 

Her options may have been limited but his behavior screams for consequences and an attempt to help him see how civilized people deal with anger or fear or aggression from others.  She could have given him the 4 years but she chose to add insult to the grieving family by making his sentence a slap in the face.

As to whether he should have been here at all, I am VERY pro-Trump's Wall, but I have to agree with the others here, unless you have a source that explains your remark, it just sounds like anger against all people of his ethnicity.  That doesn't help anyone.  JMO.

• Like 1

Farmer77

@and then You got me instead of Booth on that last one.

• Sad 1

and then
38 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

@Booth Ya know what while we're at it why dont you go ahead and explain what makes up a real American for us.

If I may?  A "real" American is a person who was either born here or was born in a foreign country to American parents or adopted by same, or is someone who has made a CHOICE to go through a legal process to be naturalized and become a citizen.  There isn't any rocket science involved.  Those who come here for opportunity to better their lives are welcome so long as they do it legally.  

What Progressive movement politics is giving us is a welfare state with open borders.  There was a time when rational thinkers would do the math on that combination and call it out for the insanity it is.  These days, most people who vote Democrat don't seem to care if their desire to "help" may destroy this country.  In New York, the government is planning to issue driver's licenses to illegals.  ANY ID is going to make it possible for them to vote in elections.  Not just those who are here working and maybe paying taxes, oh no.  ALL of them who can drive.  That law will basically disenfranchise legal citizens by diluting their votes.  

Sticking it to political opponents may seem like good sport now.  It won't seem so satisfying in the future.  

Farmer77
11 minutes ago, and then said:

If I may?  A "real" American is a person who was either born here or was born in a foreign country to American parents or adopted by same, or is someone who has made a CHOICE to go through a legal process to be naturalized and become a citizen.  There isn't any rocket science involved.  Those who come here for opportunity to better their lives are welcome so long as they do it legally.  

Agreed. I just wanted to hear from Mr. Booth's own mouth how the thread article led him to talk about real Americans.

11 minutes ago, and then said:

hat Progressive movement politics is giving us is a welfare state with open borders.  There was a time when rational thinkers would do the math on that combination and call it out for the insanity it is.  These days, most people who vote Democrat don't seem to care if their desire to "help" may destroy this country.  In New York, the government is planning to issue driver's licenses to illegals.  ANY ID is going to make it possible for them to vote in elections.  Not just those who are here working and maybe paying taxes, oh no.  ALL of them who can drive.  That law will basically disenfranchise legal citizens by diluting their votes.  

The fearmongering you guys are bombarded with is so extreme and constant im starting to feel bad for you. Tell me andthen can you get on an airplane with any drivers license? (sadly IMO) no you cant because each state has different forms of identification and each are labeled accordingly.  California's literally say "not for federal use" hell if i remember correctly my sons identification card in Arizona said the same thing because he didnt take all the proper paperwork with him.

Not to mention that after October 1st 2020 citizens must have the federally approved real ID drivers licenses in  order to do anything with the federal government. You know they arent able to give those out to illegals even if they wanted to.

Honestly very very few if any actually want open borders, illegals voting or illegals receiving US benefits beyond emergency care. This is one of those issues where you seem to be constantly having an argument against things that no one has said on the forum.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gromdor
15 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Agreed. I just wanted to hear from Mr. Booth's own mouth how the thread article led him to talk about real Americans.

The fearmongering you guys are bombarded with is so extreme and constant im starting to feel bad for you. Tell me andthen can you get on an airplane with any drivers license? (sadly IMO) no you cant because each state has different forms of identification and each are labeled accordingly.  California's literally say "not for federal use" hell if i remember correctly my sons identification card in Arizona said the same thing because he didnt take all the proper paperwork with him.

Not to mention that after October 1st 2020 citizens must have the federally approved real ID drivers licenses in  order to do anything with the federal government. You know they arent able to give those out to illegals even if they wanted to.

Honestly very very few if any actually want open borders, illegals voting or illegals receiving US benefits beyond emergency care. This is one of those issues where you seem to be constantly having an argument against things that no one has said on the forum.

Yeah, I thought it weird that we have to get a drivers license with a gold star on it for it to be federally accepted.  Pretty bad choice of symbology considering the last time gold/yellow stars were used.

The whole concept of federal drivers license/voter ID thing made me chuckle when a co-worker of mine said that the feds would never get his face for facial recognition and invade his privacy- yet he was totally pro-voter photo ID/special licensing just for citizens.  (I didn't have the heart to explain to him how he was volunteering to have everyone's face in a database.)

Edit to add: Obama did it, btw.  Not Trump.

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 2

and then
6 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I'm aware of that new law.  If a state agrees to issue those to illegals then that hurdle is behind them.

7 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

This is one of those issues where you seem to be constantly having an argument against things that no one has said on the forum.

I hear this rhetoric from Progressives and I reject it based on the numbers of people coming to this country.  When 110+ thousand people were coming across that border, do you actually believe they all had work promised to them?  Do you believe that the communities they land in refuse to educate those children?  It's just ridiculous to cite legal issues and say "see?"  no way they get help.  Cali has made it law that they receive free medical.  In fact, they are soon going to expand that to seniors.  

You can stay in denial about the plans of the Left/Globalists but don't bother trying to explain it all away for me.  I'm a reasonably well educated and thoughtful person.  My community has a booming Hispanic population and it is RARE to hear English being spoken.  Those I meet are generally friendly and civil but there are others that definitely aren't.  Those people and their families are in our schools, hospitals and community businesses.  LOTS of them.  They have no right to break our laws and when governments ignore their crimes and Americans suffer or die, YES, I will speak out.  We don't have problems (yet) in south Alabama with illegals who shoot people or kill people repetitively by driving drunk.  Down here it has long been customary that people modulate their impulses when dealing with strangers.  

That attitude and behavior explains why you've never seen an ANTIFA rally down here.  I guess that having a reputation for being ignorant AND violent may actually be a bonus occasionally.  Hey, whatever works.

and then
4 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Yeah, I thought it weird that we have to get a drivers license with a gold star on it for it to be federally accepted. 

I hadn't heard about a gold star.  The license is supposed to be state of the art tech that can't easily be forged.  I think it has something to do with the facial image.  I've heard that no one can fly commercially without it.

• Like 2