Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Calling someone a "geek" is a hate crime

Eldorado

"Branding somebody a "brainbox" or "geek" ought to be made a hate crime, to protect people with high IQs, according to an academic.

"Dr Sonja Falck, of the University of East London, said: “Insulting slurs about age, disability, religion and gender identity remained in widespread use until relatively recently.

"“Society at the time turned a blind eye to their impact by passing them off as harmless banter.

"“It is only with the benefit of hindsight that we realise how wrong we were."

Full monty at LBC (UK radio): https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/uk-news/geek-and-nerd-should-be-hate-crimes-high-iq/

• Haha 8

Calling someone a "geek" is a hate crime

Is it a hate crime to say whoever thinks that has a head filled with

30cwbl5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It might be easier if these hyper-sensitive, offended by everything people just publish a list a words we are allowed to use, when we are allowed to use them and in what context...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Both racism and hate crime have lost all actually meaning. The first is a blanket accusation and a 'hate' crime has come to mean anything emotionally displeasing. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

These academics, I'm convinced, hold a competition between themselves as to who can come up with the silliest thing-to-be-offended-about. I'm sure it's all an enormous private joke really. Anyway, surely Dr. Flack knows about GEEK PRIDE?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This is what always happens. Some geek makes an outlandish statement and they everyone loses their minds, complaining about pc culture or everyone being too sensitive. It's just one moron, like always. 

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I dont think I could ever find myself proactively in favor of such a law in America, the way we're going I do fear there will come a day when I wish I had been.

I refer to myself as a geek often. Perhaps I should sue myself?

If calling someone a geek ,because of high intelligence,  were ruled a hate crime.....then calling someone an idiot should be ruled a hate crime too. ?   Fair is fair?

12 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I refer to myself as a geek often. Perhaps I should sue myself?

Heck ya!  Sue yourself for everything you got ! 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

While I dont think I could ever find myself proactively in favor of such a law in America, the way we're going I do fear there will come a day when I wish I had been.

You fear that one day there'll be an uprising against the Geeks?

• Haha 2

Geeks are nothing to mess with !   Remember when 300 geeks held off 10,000 Persians at Thermopylae?

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, lightly said:

Geeks are nothing to mess with !   Remember when 300 geeks held off 10,000 Persians at Thermopylae?

I'm not worried about the geeks. The nerds will get their revenge. 

• Haha 2

On 12/24/2019 at 6:50 PM, Taun said:

It might be easier if these hyper-sensitive, offended by everything people just publish a list a words we are allowed to use, when we are allowed to use them and in what context...

How about instead, we just ignore them?  Why give them so much attention.

P.S.  Geek actually is the word for a side show person who bites the heads off of chickens or snakes as entertainment.  It became a word that meant "weirdo" later and I have no clue how it ended up replacing the word nerd.  I am a nerd and have been proud to be a nerd since the 70's when someone first called me that instead of "weirdo".   If someone doesn't like being called a geek all they have to do is say so to the person calling them a geek in the moment, OR they could just say thank you and walk away.  (that works better than anything).

On 12/25/2019 at 12:07 AM, Eldorado said:

"Branding somebody a "brainbox" or "geek" ought to be made a hate crime, to protect people with high IQs, according to an academic.

where's the hate? what hate? i don't get it...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

You fear that one day there'll be an uprising against the Geeks?

LOL kinda......I was feeling all serious yesterday but yeah the anti intellectual furor currently gripping America does have me somewhat concerned in a big picture long term kind of way.  Its been building in intensity and efficacy for decades now and seems to only be accelerating.

But ive made a career out of emergency response and disaster management so I admit I am always looking at the worse case possibilities and how to remedy them if they come to fruition. Just ignore me

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

:st

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome

Now, for me, nerd means someone so intense about their interests that they become boring about it.  A geek is someone so intense in their interests that they enthuse others to be interested.

Why these two words have those definitions to me I have no idea, but if by explaining someone’s attitude to this or that subject is a hate crime then surely words like 'enthusiast' or 'expert' or 'novice' or 'unskilled' would be open to accusations of hate?

Oh, dear me, whatever happened to the attitude portrayed in the old saying, 'Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me'.  Perhaps not strictly true but the inference is plain.  I was brought up with this saying ringing in my ears and learned to grow a thicker skin and ignore the bullies and trouble makers.  Were it the same for today’s younger generation.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dejarma said:

where's the hate? what hate? i don't get it...

What I don't get is how Geek is misunderstood to mean "brainbox" or someone with a high IQ.  AND anyone who worries that people don't notice they have a high IQ don't have a high enough IQ to realize that number is meaningless when it comes down to survival, getting along with others, success in your endeavors etc.

Attempted malicious attack on your computer...

oh who the heck did I tick off n...

uh oh.

On 12/26/2019 at 7:52 PM, Farmer77 said:

LOL kinda......I was feeling all serious yesterday but yeah the anti intellectual furor currently gripping America does have me somewhat concerned in a big picture long term kind of way.  Its been building in intensity and efficacy for decades now and seems to only be accelerating.

But ive made a career out of emergency response and disaster management so I admit I am always looking at the worse case possibilities and how to remedy them if they come to fruition. Just ignore me

There might not be a remedy.  That movie "Idocracy" may be prophetic. 

Is it still acceptable to eat Nerds in public?  :P

nerds.png

Will the Simpsons have to be censored?

One more for the cutting room floor?

• Haha 3

It's funny :D 

But let's try to be real here and apply the same standards - geeks are people too :D I support this.