Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kindness

LightAngel

Just now, Helen of Annoy said:

Thank you @XenoFish and if you're interested in my opinion on God not being a vending machine, here it is up there in my reply to Desertrat.  

It's a miracle. We had a decent conversation. Little late for it to be a Christmas miracle though...

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It's a miracle. We had a decent conversation. Little late for it to be a Christmas miracle though...

We were a little forgotten by God, so our miracle came a little late. It still counts! :lol: 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

We were a little forgotten by God, so our miracle came a little late. It still counts! :lol: 

Better late than never.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

I believe we're all quite telepathic, only it's considered impossible because science hasn't explained it yet ( :lol: ) so sometimes it's telepathy, not the higher power. It seems to me that more often than not, there's no need for higher power interventions, we can do surprisingly much just by our own powers. Who knows, of course. I certainly don't, but I also don't want to hide my thoughts on this. 

I was in quite serious medical condition once and people prayed for me. I would feel the change in the atmosphere around me at the precise time they prayed, before I knew they're doing it. They're not reading this, but still, I want to thank them again. By the way, their understanding of faith and religion was much different than mine, but the good intentions are apparently very universal. Or I'm a stubborn idiot and their interpretation of religion is the correct one, who knows. 

Ha, that black magic is a little harsh label, but I remember my grandmother always informing the kids that it's wrong to nag dear God with our petty desires. Not really sinful, but totally inappropriate. God knows what you need and want and are afraid of, you don't have to send him a wish list or specify what you rather wouldn't have. Of course, who wouldn't pray specifically for a survival of a friend? Some things are so important we simply can't resist reminding God about it. I think that, what we call God, understands that perfectly. 

All in all, prayer is an act of kindness, definitely, in my opinion. Maybe it doesn't do instant miracles - miracles wouldn't be called miracles if we could have them just like that - but it is felt. And if it's felt, it does something. And it's always... no, wait, it made you angry... so, mostly good. 

I almost feel like apologizing to you for your siblings praying made you angry, because I'd totally pray with them if I was around so yeah, guilty, me too :lol: 

You understand them today, don't you? 

I agree with you about us all being telepathic.  We are taught that it is not real, or a sin, or the work of the devil, or not scientifically proven, but there are reasons to keep the masses separated and believing they are just lowly humans with no abilities.  A lot of magick is dependent on the telepathic and other awareness that we are not supposed to have.  It is not really magick, it is our natural state.

Prayer is not always an act of kindness.  It depends on what you pray for and how.  A lot of people are taught to pray for the "salvation" of people they think are going to burn in hell for not agreeing about religion.  That is disrespectful, arrogant and ignorant.

I doubt you would pray with my siblings to make me do something I am not meant to do.  That is what made me angry.  Using prayer to control others, to beg some deity to change something about someone else that is no one else's business instead of praying for understanding or love.  That is the "black magic" of prayer.  I was not talking about prayer for healing or peace or some other benign, non specific ideal.  The more specific the more like black magic a prayer is.  I believe prayer was originally taught to send love, warm feelings of support for someone, not words specific to someone and I was taught that the person receiving the healing energy or thoughts is the one who actually does the healing, not the prayers or thoughts of others, that is just the support needed to heal.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I agree with you about us all being telepathic.  We are taught that it is not real, or a sin, or the work of the devil, or not scientifically proven, but there are reasons to keep the masses separated and believing they are just lowly humans with no abilities.  A lot of magick is dependent on the telepathic and other awareness that we are not supposed to have.  It is not really magick, it is our natural state.

Our natural state, exactly. Nothing dark about it. Unless a particular person chooses to use own hands or mind for dark purposes, of course. 

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Prayer is not always an act of kindness.  It depends on what you pray for and how.  A lot of people are taught to pray for the "salvation" of people they think are going to burn in hell for not agreeing about religion.  That is disrespectful, arrogant and ignorant.

I doubt you would pray with my siblings to make me do something I am not meant to do.  That is what made me angry.  Using prayer to control others, to beg some deity to change something about someone else that is no one else's business instead of praying for understanding or love.  That is the "black magic" of prayer.  I was not talking about prayer for healing or peace or some other benign, non specific ideal.  The more specific the more like black magic a prayer is.  I believe prayer was originally taught to send love, warm feelings of support for someone, not words specific to someone and I was taught that the person receiving the healing energy or thoughts is the one who actually does the healing, not the prayers or thoughts of others, that is just the support needed to heal.

Oh, I understand now. Religious people that I know are not into 'saving', not even praying for conversion of others, because that's not even how it works in their understanding. It's simply offensive to wish for your perfectly good neighbour to abandon own tradition or intuition. Of course, it is perfectly acceptable to pray for someone to have their mind clarified by God, but it doesn't have to include conversions, it is meant to keep people away from harmful actions. Like, your child wants to go bungee-jumping or something so you pray God to bring clarity to kid's mind. It doesn't work. You can't bring clarity to young mind. Except... but I digress.   

So you're right, I wouldn't pray with them. My first thought was that you were unhappy or hurt and they prayed for strength for you or something logical and loving like that. 

Theologically speaking, I'd say people are not reading the New Testament with understanding. And it's so spectacularly easy to understand. *sigh* 

On a lighter note: my grandma wouldn't nag God with petty requests, but since she was a petite woman, she couldn't resist praying for her children and grandchildren to be tall, if that doesn't interfere with God's plan. The result is that all the trousers I buy are either too wide for me, either too short. I'm built like an utility pole. So each time I'd reach for something on the high shelves for my grandma, she would smile and thank God for my height. Sure, it's genome, but my genes could've been shuffled in billions of other ways. 

If only everybody had a grandma like my grandma was. This would be a better world, more tolerant and logical. By every other influence, I'd be a total crap of a person. But she was kind. I'd never betray her kindness with forgetting to be kind myself.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I don't care what habitat thinks nor says. His opinion literally means nothing to me. That's a kindness I give myself. 

Must mean something to you, or you would not have replied ! :tu:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

I'm not so lucky. I doubt almost everything. I doubt my own self the most. 

As do most people of any substance, or intelligence. Those that tend to be chronically self-assured, have had a little saying coined for them...…"Seldom unsure, often wrong".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Delving into the subject of kindness, though, I think benefits from a close examination of the word. "Kind" as we know, also refers to that which is alike, as in, "of the same kind." That must also be like "kin", people who are closely related. We "like" that which is alike to us, we are "kind" to those we are akin to. We become more kind by, widening the circle we identify with. An act of kindness, signals that we have that person (or animal) within the orbit of our concerns. The avowed nationalist, obviously  does not have all humankind within his circle of identity. Thus the "unkindness" of war. Taken to the extreme, "kindness" is the recognition of the unity of all being, but to live this truth, is a severe strain on the mortal frame.

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I would not be worrying too much about what people are praying for. After all, we don't show much faith in the entity that is supposedly vetting those prayers, if we do !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

I'd never betray her kindness with forgetting to be kind myself.  

pink-kitty-purring-hug-smiley-emoticon.g

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 1:08 PM, openozy said:

I like how you label people when we are all a combination of these,get off your high horse.

Alternatively, do some self reflection about why the labels sub-human and superior-human provokes a reaction from you.

Your reaction is about you, not about me. So dont take it out on me.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

Alternatively, do some self reflection about why the labels sub-human and superior-human provokes a reaction from you.

Your reaction is about you, not about me. So dont take it out on me.

By the negativity of most of your posts you must be unhappy where you sit on your judgement scale.But hey,at least you know up is the only direction you can head. :tu:

Edited by openozy
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, openozy said:

By the negativity of most of your posts you must be unhappy where you sit on your judgement scale.But hey,at least you know up is the only direction you can head. :tu:

Sorry, but I dont know what you are going on about.

Looking at my original post then thats me discussing the negative side of human nature in human relationships. Jealousy and envy are common negative emotions amongst the population so its better to take that into consideration when dealing with people rather than living in a fantasy world. Especially, mentally unstable people with their out of control negative emotions that are underpinned by whatever trauma it is that they have suffered.

Maybe you are an idealist who likes to distort the world that you live in?

You know, on these very forums there are plenty of members who hate rich successful people. They convince themselves the rich successful person got there by being greedy and corrupt. It is jealousy hidden behind the need to bring others down to preserve their egos. And a perfect example of why rich successful people benefit from hiding it when around others until they know what sort of person they are dealing with. Especially from the vilest of mentally unstable people.

People are not equals. Some are thin, some are fat. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are intelligent, some are dumb. Some are rich, some are poor. People come in all shapes and sizes, with all kinds of traits and characteristics, we are not perfectly identical clones of each other. It is a snowflake that cannot accept that people arent equals. Its caused by them being wrapped up in too much cotton wool preventing them learning how to cope when they fail at something in life or arent the best at something.

When someone has envious qualities about them then they really do need to hide it from mentally unstable people. They need to hide it from regular people too, but the mentally unstable ones have a habit of trying to destroy them over it. Thats what happens when someone has rampant out of control negative emotions underpinned by traumatic experiences.

And no, being kind to them doesnt work. If you behave morally towards a mentally unstable person then it makes it worse because then you have another envious quality - moral superiority over them.

47 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

You know, on these very forums there are plenty of members who hate rich successful people.

Do you know being rich doesn't make you a success at life,being happy does.And not labelling people to make yourself feel better may help lead you on this path.And yes we are all equal,we all eat,s--- and die.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

And no, being kind to them doesnt work. If you behave morally towards a mentally unstable person then it makes it worse because then you have another envious quality - moral superiority over them.

You are hilarious talking about morals when you label people.What would you recommend for unstable people Adolf,execution.

1 hour ago, openozy said:

Do you know being rich doesn't make you a success at life,being happy does.And not labelling people to make yourself feel better may help lead you on this path.And yes we are all equal,we all eat,s--- and die.

Your hyper-sensitivity to labels has nothing to do with me.

Not everyone in life is having a go at you, in my case thats just how I framed my answer. I am happy in myself thanks and dont need to be mean to others to feel good.

Edited by RabidMongoose

51 minutes ago, iridescence said:

I also agree with LightAngel that sometimes unfortunate situations could lead to personal growth, help you become wiser and more aware of many things. That doesn't mean you should let others abuse you, but being a positive example to others might play an important role in their development as well.

Personal growth can be a painful process, and many people aren't strong enough to go through that!

And when I talk about personal growth, then it's not about how much money we have, etc.

It's about how strong we are on an individual level - are we brave enough to be honest to ourselves!?

Are we strong enough to follow our own truth?

What are your thoughts here @iridescence.

• Like 1

Kindness doesn't cost a penny--but it's worth is without measure.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, iridescence said:

I can only talk from my own experience/perspective, so my views are just a reflection of who i am and I don't expect these to apply to every person or situation. But from what I've learned, difficulties can help someone to overcome their fears and fix their own flaws by becoming aware of the different facets of reality. We cannot learn anything if everything is a perfect copy of itself, so anything that diverges from our truths may actually help us expand our consciousness a little bit further - if we are open to learn more.

Maybe toxic people can learn from others by the power of example and if we pay them back in their own coin, it's pretty unlikely that they will treat others differently. So while education begins in family, I don't agree that it ends at a certain age. Society is also responsible for the way someone behaves and we could say that we're like a second family for others around us. I also feel like we have the duty to provide others the necessary tools for their personal growth even though this will prove to be a long term battle.

So I encourage kindness no matter the outcome. To me, some adults are just grown up children with traumas and treating them like monsters may do more harm than good.

In essence, that's how Martin Luther King and Gandhi worked

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Does that mean I have to be nice to some of you???

No.  You don't have to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Your hyper-sensitivity to labels has nothing to do with me.

Not everyone in life is having a go at you, in my case thats just how I framed my answer. I am happy in myself thanks and dont need to be mean to others to feel good.

I'm glad your happy with yourself as no one else seems too happy with your posts.Imagine how good you would feel if you were nice and kind to others,without your materialistic greed and judgement.

• Like 3