Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Robert Rines Footage

Dradan

Is the robert rines footage genuine?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is the robert rines footage genuine?

• Yes, its genuine.
    • No, its probably fake.

59 minutes ago, Ultimatium said:

Well, you raise some interesting questions. :) As for the plesiosaur theory, there's a few problems. First of all, it would have had to come up to the surface to breath every once in a while. So if a family of pleasiosaurs lived in the lake, we would had seen them more often, thus we would had gotten better pictures and films. If it's just one plesiosaur who survived in loch ness, it would explain some of the sightings, but not all of them. Also, as i said previously, there's underwater caves in loch ness which would be a suitable hiding spot. I think a really good candidate for the loch ness monster is a sturgeon, altough it doesn't explain some of the pictures taken by robert rines.

Thanks for the info, if I remember rightly there are some very large eels in the area too? 

• Like 1

Yes, but although they can grow fairly big, they don't quite reach the size of the cryptid that people seem to descripe in some of the reports. I think it's plausible to say though, that groups of eels are responsible for some of the sightings.

Edited by Ultimatium
  • Like 1

Nothing but more fakery on Unexplained Mysteries.  Why does this site continue to post this crap?

16 hours ago, Ultimatium said:

Yes, but although they can grow fairly big, they don't quite reach the size of the cryptid that people seem to descripe in some of the reports. I think it's plausible to say though, that groups of eels are responsible for some of the sightings.

I would guess some people aren't good at estimating size too and could exaggerate a couple 5ft eels to be 10ft each, suddenly they've seen a 20ft "creature". 

This is really common with giant snake sightings actually (sorry, going a little off topic here), people estimate them to be 40ft and when captured most turn out to be 18-21ft or so. 

• Like 1

The (in)famous ‘flipper’ photo has been computer enhanced. I think I saw the original once - a murky image that could be anything. 

The other pic (supposedly a body, neck & head) is more interesting. Again, could be anything. Drifting debris?

The final one - the ‘head’ - is perhaps a rotten tree log? Also speculated as that of a figurehead from a Viking ship.

Yes, i have also read somewhere that the picture of nessie's flipper was manipulated, but i never found anything to verify the claims.

Dick Raynor has a good overview of the enhancements done to the "flipper" photo. I think it's pretty clear that it was heavily retouched to make it appear like something that was not really there.

http://www.lochnessinvestigation.com/flipper.html

The original "flipper" photographs do not differ significantly from test shots of the loch bottom, except for the rhomboidal mark which is consistent with a scrape or trough caused by the camera rig being dragged across a shallow ridge.

The enhanced "flipper" photographs show incongruous shadow features which I cannot explain other than as deliberate artistic improvement, i.e. "retouching".

These considerations lead me to conclude that the photographs previously described as showing the flipper of an unknown animal actually show the scrape mark and disturbed sediment created as the camera unit came into contact with the bottom of the loch.

Original:

LNIAAS721.jpg.758307fe54626892d63cc53efddd4cf8.jpg

Enhanced:

LNIAAS722.jpg.8fc10d31632969843e4fc48bbaad1836.jpg

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/26/2019 at 11:48 PM, ocpaul20 said:

There are loads of mystery areas which have consistently had people reporting odd things over the years. The Skinwalker, Parker, Stardust Ranches are perhaps examples. This might be because it is an area which has magnetic anomalies or some other kind of anomaly which have an effect on the area.

I dont think you can suppose that anything real would be proven within a few years of it rising to the top of the pile of strange sightings. Bigfoot sightings have been in the news for years, large cats and other lake monsters (not just Nessie) too. You would need repeatability for science to be able to prove these things and that unfortunately is not likely.

The odd events in an area are usually caused by other people telling tales. Pretty soon you have the bandwagon effect in full swing. All it takes is a story and that leads to a story and then more stories.

The Skinwalker ranch even had NIDS there and they produced nothing.

On 12/27/2019 at 6:36 AM, Ultimatium said:

Science has already spent a lot of money investigating the loch ness mystery. So far, what we found is a few sonar contacts during a sweep of the lake, as well as various films and pictures. Some of them has been debunked, but some of them still remains controversial. I personally believe that the robert rines footage is genuine, whether it shows nessie is debatable of course.

I think that the Rines images have been "retouched" to the point where I would consider them fake.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/photos-of-the-loch-ness-monster-revisited/

Originally mooted by some as compelling evidence for the biological reality of the Loch Ness Monster (Dinsdale 1973a, b, Witchell 1974, Mackal 1976, Scott & Rines 1975), the famous Rines-Egerton flippers photos (there are two) are undoubted fakes. We now know that genuine photos of the muddy bottom of Loch Ness were ‘enhanced’ in order to create the impressions of fin-shaped objects. This was suggested by Binns (1984) but has since been confirmed by Adrian Shine (respected long-time investigator of the Loch Ness Monster phenomenon) and Dick Raynor (go here for more).

Often overlooked is the extraordinary size of the ‘fins’: each was estimated to be about 2 m long.

BTW, the article is authored by Darren Naish.

• Like 1

I do think the flipper looks good, both in the original posted above and in the enhanced version. For interest, I downloaded the original and tried to enhance it and could not get anything nearly as good as the enhanced image shown below the original.

As far as eels and  some of the images of heads sticking out of the water go, I do not think eels are going to do that, but maybe these are dead trees or bits of flotsam.

Not sure if the eels - however large - would produce humps which actually stick out of the water either. Anything that large would have to have a snake like body to be able to do that and snakes do not swim like that. The large disturbances in the water may well be playing seals, and a seal head in the middle of that momentarily sticking out can look like a strange thing perhaps.

Disregarding the 'heads' sticking out of the water for a moment. From the images I have seen, there seems to be at least two different things which need to be accounted for if we are considering animals of some kind.

a) An eel/snake/dragon like thing which has a long thin body which loops like a sine wave in and out of the water. Nothing else swims like that.

b) A large wide 'something' not like the above eel/snake/dragon-thing at all. That could be a whale or large seal or other large sea animal which swims breaking the surface, or under the boat, etc.

Before this whatever-it-is can be finally found and the mystery put to bed, I think we need some serious money thrown at the whole thing.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:22 AM, tortugabob said:

Nothing but more fakery on Unexplained Mysteries.  Why does this site continue to post this crap?

The members post it.

When we look at the original and the enhanced image of the flipper we see that there are parts of the original that go away and parts that seem to appear out of of nowhere.

Efforts to replicate the enhancement reveal that the image was doctored and not enhanced.

As Darren Naish pointed out

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/photos-of-the-loch-ness-monster-revisited/

the famous Rines-Egerton flippers photos (there are two) are undoubted fakes. We now know that genuine photos of the muddy bottom of Loch Ness were ‘enhanced’ in order to create the impressions of fin-shaped objects.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ocpaul20 said:

I do think the flipper looks good, both in the original posted above and in the enhanced version. For interest, I downloaded the original and tried to enhance it and could not get anything nearly as good as the enhanced image shown below the original.

As far as eels and  some of the images of heads sticking out of the water go, I do not think eels are going to do that, but maybe these are dead trees or bits of flotsam.

Not sure if the eels - however large - would produce humps which actually stick out of the water either. Anything that large would have to have a snake like body to be able to do that and snakes do not swim like that. The large disturbances in the water may well be playing seals, and a seal head in the middle of that momentarily sticking out can look like a strange thing perhaps.

Disregarding the 'heads' sticking out of the water for a moment. From the images I have seen, there seems to be at least two different things which need to be accounted for if we are considering animals of some kind.

a) An eel/snake/dragon like thing which has a long thin body which loops like a sine wave in and out of the water. Nothing else swims like that.

b) A large wide 'something' not like the above eel/snake/dragon-thing at all. That could be a whale or large seal or other large sea animal which swims breaking the surface, or under the boat, etc.

Before this whatever-it-is can be finally found and the mystery put to bed, I think we need some serious money thrown at the whole thing.

Some good observations. As i said previously, eels may be responsible for some of the sightings, but they probably won't explain some of the sightings of humps sticking out of the water. I don't think it's completely out of the question though, that small groups of eels may be responsible for some of the sightings, especially if people visits loch ness with the expactation of seeing the loch ness monster.

On 12/26/2019 at 6:48 PM, ocpaul20 said:

It seems to me that no-one wants to throw money at the the mysteries on Earth, they prefer to throw money at the supposed mysteries in space. Why would that be I wonder?

Anyone with half a brain could figure that out.

If we cannot find Nessie life in Loch Ness, then how can we find life on Mars? Maybe because no-one really wants to find life on Mars and no-one really wants to find answers to Nessie life in Loch Ness either.

WTF?  What the hell does Nessie have to do with life on Mars?

There are plenty of rich people with so much money they can never spend it all and it makes more interest in a minute than most people make in a year. Maybe they just prefer to spend their money increasing their power and controlling their world?

I didn't realise people had to spend their money on dead end myths that you gullibly believe.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 1:06 AM, ocpaul20 said:

Not necessarily. They just happened across the coelacanth.