Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Inventor builds working prototype lightsaber

UM-Bot

Great, now there can work on inventing a Darth Vader... 

~

• Like 2

I'm not that convinced about it's lethalness after seeing it struggle with polystyrene. I want to see a video of it being tested out on Kanye West's torso just to be sure. Make it so.

• Thanks 2

So, 41 pound battery pack, tungston & titanium rod.  Yeah, this is useless, unless you want to burn down your barn, but I guess it will encourage someone else to do better. 

just a big heating element. big deal

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would rather they try to build a teleporter than a light saber, which this one is not, it is a large hot iron.

• Like 1

Test it out on J.J. Abrams.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

True.. it IS just a large heater element. 

Nonetheless, I must admit to being impressed :D

Edited by RoofGardener

17 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

True.. it IS just a large heater element. 

Nonetheless, I must admit to being impressed :D

I'm impressed with his shop and all the equipment he has.

• Like 1

How awesome!

I dearly appreciate creative, motivated people!

The really interesting problem with a light saber is that the blade is made of light. How do you get light, even a laser, or some such, to project outward about one meter, and then just stop?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I'm impressed with his shop and all the equipment he has.

It's a shame that shop is wasted on a pack of idiots making a huge heating element for You Tube clicks and EA game advertising.

Edited by Seti42
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bison said:

The really interesting problem with a light saber is that the blade is made of light. How do you get light, even a laser, or some such, to project outward about one meter, and then just stop?

It's either impossible (like anti-gravity, teleportation, FTL travel, time travel, etc.)...Or we need at least few hundred more years of physics and materials/engineering knowledge.

All of those technical problems you mentioned may eventually be solvable, though I have my doubts about time travel! Thinking about any of these, and  just why we can't do these things now, may help us to find the answers. 

1 hour ago, Seti42 said:

It's either impossible (like anti-gravity, teleportation, FTL travel, time travel, etc.)...Or we need at least few hundred more years of physics and materials/engineering knowledge.

Wait, doctors use laser cutters to do surgery.  If the light did not stop they couldn't use it as it would cut right through, instead they are able to cut smaller  places more accurately than with a normal blade.  Maybe do some research on the kinds of lasers doctors use for surgery.

https://ethw.org/Laser_Surgery

https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitting-products/surgical-and-therapeutic-products/medical-lasers#d

In laser surgery, the laser beam is reportedly absorbed by the tissue, or by some substance injected to absorb it. The laser, it's said, is of very low power, and typically pulsed on and off so as not to do damage to other tissues. This information does not appear to be applicable to a high power laser operating through the air.

Some very advanced technology might someday make it possible to control a beam of light in the manner suggested by the idea of a light saber. Perhaps the long-sought unification of gravity with the other forces of nature, including electromagnetism, which includes light, an so, lasers.  

Edited by bison
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Bed of chaos said:

Test it out on J.J. Abrams.

and Rian Johnson. 

1 hour ago, bison said:

In laser surgery, the laser beam is reportedly absorbed by the tissue, or by some substance injected to absorb it. The laser, it's said, is of very low power, and typically pulsed on and off so as not to do damage to other tissues. This information does not appear to be applicable to a high power laser operating through the air.

It's pulsed, so damage to the surrounding tissue is minimal. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stiff said:

I'm not that convinced about it's lethalness after seeing it struggle with polystyrene. I want to see a video of it being tested out on Kanye West's torso just to be sure. Make it so.

After watching the video I was hoping he fell face first on on it. But Kanye would make a good test dummy. :yes:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, bison said:

Some very advanced technology might someday make it possible to control a beam of light in the manner suggested by the idea of a light saber. Perhaps the long-sought unification of gravity with the other forces of nature, including electromagnetism, which includes light, an so, lasers.  

Another crucial difference is - light is only detected when it hits something.  A laser beam passing through air cannot be seen unless it hits grains of dust floating in the air.  Air itself is transparent to 'visible' light (the colours the human eye can see).  That's why these colours penetrate the atmosphere and reach our built-in optical detectors (eyes).

afterglow

e.g. This image - there is no 'characteristic' green line between the emitter and the detector (the screen) because there is not enough reflective material in between them to scatter the beam.

Tied to this - in the vacuum of space there is even less material so 'laser blasts' of pure light fired from a weapon would never create a pretty red line to the target.  And they would travel at the speed of... really fast, so there's no chance for dodging it at the last split-second.

SO - how does this affect our lightsaber?  The first thing I read during my minutes of research is that the weapon is actually a plasma blade.  Plasmas are ionised gases at (usually) very high temperatures.  Like the Sun's outer layers.  These can be contained in a tight space by powerful magnetic fields so I'm guessing that as the plasma emerges from the hilt there's also a metal rod that reaches to the end; it's this rod that generates the magnetic field and holds the plasma in its tight shape.  If any Jedi out there are reading this and would like to contradict me now I'll shut up and stop speculating further about the science behind imaginary weapons.  

• Like 1

Actually, I thought it was pretty cool..once you fast-forward past the adverts, that is.

However I do think something like a light saber could be possible once our technology and understanding of radiation spectrums is understood better.

In short someday you won't need a huge cable, or transformer (no, not the robots)  that gives out mega joules of electricity to have such a device.