Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Samsung teases reveal of 'artificial human'

UM-Bot

Oh good lord.  Another way for Samsung to set your house on fire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I wonder if it will tell depressed people to kill themselves like Alexa recently did?  Call me an old coot, but I don't trust this tech nor the people who create it.  I rarely even sit in front of a TV any longer.  At least the time I spend online, I make clear what I believe.  I don't have to worry as much that snippets of spoken conversations will be used to arrest me for thought crime.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, and then said:

I wonder if it will tell depressed people to kill themselves like Alexa recently did?  Call me an old coot, but I don't trust this tech nor the people who create it.  I rarely even sit in front of a TV any longer.  At least the time I spend online, I make clear what I believe.  I don't have to worry as much that snippets of spoken conversations will be used to arrest me for thought crime.

Alexa was reading from a hacked wiki page.  It did not think about what it was saying.

• Like 2

I would like to have an artificial dog, a companion without all the disgusting stuff with peeing, pooing, licking etc. Would be great :-) .

Edited by fred_mc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fred_mc said:

I would like to have an artificial dog, a companion without all the disgusting stuff with peeing, pooing, licking etc. Would be great :-) .

Why don't you just name your toaster and be happy with that?

• Haha 2

On 1/5/2020 at 6:03 PM, Desertrat56 said:

Why don't you just name your toaster and be happy with that?

That was a pretty silly comment I think. You can't play with/interact with a toaster, it doesn't give you the feeling of having a companion.

19 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

That was a pretty silly comment I think. You can't play with/interact with a toaster, it doesn't give you the feeling of having a companion.

We are a long way from having interactive robots.  If you use Siri or Alexa you know how far we need to go to get one that might seem like a companion if you have a really good imagination and are in need of that.  The closest you are going to get now is an iRobot vacum with Alexa riding around on it.  You can't have a conversation with either of those, much less feel less alone because they exist.

26 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

We are a long way from having interactive robots.  If you use Siri or Alexa you know how far we need to go to get one that might seem like a companion if you have a really good imagination and are in need of that.  The closest you are going to get now is an iRobot vacum with Alexa riding around on it.  You can't have a conversation with either of those, much less feel less alone because they exist.

I agree that we are quite far away from a human-like companion but I don't think we are so far away from a dog-like companion. I think I for example would like the latest version of Sony Aibo. However, I think it is too expensive, and I think I read that you also need a subscription for updates and maintenance, which is something I wouldn't want eiher (although people have insurances for dogs so it wouldn't be that different).

Edited by fred_mc

3 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

I agree that we are quite far away from a human-like companion but I don't think we are so far away from a dog-like companion. I think I for example would like the latest version of Sony Aibo. However, I think it is too expensive, and I think I read that you also need a subscription for updates and maintenance, which is something I wouldn't want eiher (although people have insurances for dogs so it wouldn't be that different).

It just seems weird that you want a dog without the responsibilities of a dog.  I don't see how a robot dog could be the same kind of companion as a real dog.  Sometimes it is healthy to have to take care of a pet, like walking, grooming, feeding, and you have someone to talk to that will at least look at you while you talk.  A dog understands as much as a 2 or 3 year old (depending on the breed).

On 12/30/2019 at 1:26 PM, Desertrat56 said:

Alexa was reading from a hacked wiki page.  It did not think about what it was saying.

I'll take your word for that but if it was your child or family member would it MATTER why the AI malfunctioned?  If it can be hacked to do such horrible things then it has no place in our homes, JMO.

Just now, and then said:

I'll take your word for that but if it was your child or family member would it MATTER why the AI malfunctioned?  If it can be hacked to do such horrible things then it has no place in our homes, JMO.

It does matter because Alexa did not malfunction, it was asked to read information from the internet, not to give advice.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:18 PM, Desertrat56 said:

Oh good lord.  Another way for Samsung to set your house on fire.

Computer says no

• Haha 1

The problem a lot of these AI speaking apps like Alexa and Siri, etc all have is the lack of actual interaction with the real human. You have to talk to it (often subconsciously) as if you are giving a simple command for it to follow, much like trying to command a dog. 

What developers need to do is look at how we use them and mimic how that should work on a human level. 
As most of the time we ask it to do tasks for us, we are therefore looking to Alexa  as a personal assistant, but it doesn't always understand what we need it to do like a personal assistant (with training and experience) would know, and therefore our need to "command it" rather than ask it to do something is obvious. 
What developers should be looking at is the customer service industry, such as retail or hospitality and how they interact with customers. And that is that the employee (and therefore Alexa) should ask lots of questions on what it needs to know or doesn't understand. 

For example, You ask a waiter for a glass of wine, the waiter asks the type of wine, you answer, it asks the size, and then asks if you want to taste it first, etc. 
A McDonalds employee will ask you if you would like that as a Meal or on its own, they ask if you would like to go Large. 
A Taxi driver will ask you where you need to go, he will check with you if he has the right place, he will sometimes ask if you would like to stop anywhere on the way. 

Alexa is starting to break into this sort of "questioning" method on some of its skills, but overall developers need to make their voice assistants more questioning and looking for responses from the humans in a more human exchange, than to simply expect us to know how to command it to do something and hope it fully understands. 

It needs to be more like: "Alexa, set an alarm", "Okay, would you like the alarm for today?" "No, tomorrow morning", "Okay, what time in the morning?", "8am please", "Okay, would you like me to repeat the alarm every morning, or just for tomorrow?" "Just tomorrow", "Okay, a one-off alarm has been set for tomorrow morning at 8am, would you like me to play a sound, music, or a voice reminder as the alarm?" "Music, play me Queen, We Will Rock You", "Okay, I will play Queen's, We Will Rock You as your 8am alarm, Is there anything else I can help you with?" "No thank you", "Thank you."

For me, Voice Assistants will always be a novelty rather than a really useful tool that makes life easier until we have these kinds of proper conversational interactions where we ask it to do a task and it asks how that task has to be done with a series of questions. Once we have the confidence that it is not only going to do the task, but it has asked the right questions about the task to make sure it is done correctly, we will begin to automate our lives far more with much more confidence. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

It just seems weird that you want a dog without the responsibilities of a dog.  I don't see how a robot dog could be the same kind of companion as a real dog.  Sometimes it is healthy to have to take care of a pet, like walking, grooming, feeding, and you have someone to talk to that will at least look at you while you talk.  A dog understands as much as a 2 or 3 year old (depending on the breed).

Right... And i think its creepy and a really bad idea for people to seek companionship from robots. There are more than enough people in the world this is only an enabler to the lack of value and empathy people are placing on each other, and the degradation of the human relation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like Rommie and Cortana or the Doctor on ST Voyager.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Sounds like Rommie and Cortana or the Doctor on ST Voyager.

Cortana?  What sci fi show is that from?  That is the name google calls it's equivalent to Alexa, which neither are AI, they are search engines with voice activation and vocal response programs.

25 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Right... And i think its creepy and a really bad idea for people to seek companionship from robots. There are more than enough people in the world this is only an enabler to the lack of value and empathy people are placing on each other, and the degradation of the human relation.

Wisdom here.

People need to get over control issues and learn to interact with fellow humans in ways other then texting and Twitter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

Wisdom here.

People need to get over control issues and learn to interact with fellow humans in ways other then texting and Twitter. 

Most people need other people (desperately). They'd never settle with AI's. So there's nothing to fear.
But we are a few people who are anti-social, and who get annoyed by other people. We look forward to artificial no-BS companions, or servants, if you will.
There should be something for everybody. Technology should not be dictated by PC.

Well in Japan more men under the age of 35 said they'd prefer a robot girlfriend then a real one so....

Japan is indicative of the urban future of the industrialized world, IMHO. Europe and the US have to a degree paralleled the same trends.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Well in Japan more men under the age of 35 said they'd prefer a robot girlfriend then a real one so....

Japan is indicative of the urban future of the industrialized world, IMHO. Europe and the US have to a degree paralleled the same trends.

That sounds like some young men can't cope with interacting with another human being.  I hope that is not the trend, if it is, then that episode of Sea Quest where they accidentally find themselves in the future and there are only two people left on the planet, a teenage boy and a teenage girl who have robots to take care of them and spend their days playing a war game, not knowing that they are fighting each other.  I think the human race will perish before anything like that happens if we are headed that direction.

6 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

It depends if the robot is good looking and cheap,and  can cook and clean :-) 

On 1/6/2020 at 7:37 PM, fred_mc said:

I`m sure there are at least 5 persons on Earth who married her/his toaster.

• Haha 2

On 1/7/2020 at 4:36 PM, Desertrat56 said:

Cortana?  What sci fi show is that from?  That is the name google calls it's equivalent to Alexa, which neither are AI, they are search engines with voice activation and vocal response programs.

Cortana is the AI in the Halo universe. Microsoft named their mobile voice assistant on the xbox Cortana then moved it to the phones. Great example of life imitating art.

• Like 2