Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

You don't have a soul

zep73

Just now, UFO_Monster said:

Well, if I did that, then what's the point of having a folder named "Spirituality vs Skepticism"? People debate here all the time. That's what it's for. 

Probably because there are plenty who are non-committal on such subjects, I really don't have a firm idea what it would boil down to, if there was such a thing as a soul. It is a quite nebulous idea, and how people can be totally dismissive of something that can't be satisfactorily defined, let alone "proven", smacks of premature judgement to say the least.

2 hours ago, UFO_Monster said:

Well, if I did that, then what's the point of having a folder named "Spirituality vs Skepticism"? People debate here all the time. That's what it's for. 

Wasting your time. That poster doesn't seem to get that, nor the incredibly hypocritical fact that he is accusing others of what he is doing. He chases skeptics around like flies to a doggy doo, yet claims they are wasting their time on guesses.

I know right. Pathetic, mindless, irrational.

Just an oxygen their here to make loud noises and annoy others. I wish he had bought a Harley instead. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2020 at 2:53 PM, Mr Walker said:

Nup I am compelled to correct error and educate ignorance. :) 

Quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever read on this site!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :rofl:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, iridescence said:

I've never heard anyone saying that bees or cats have souls, can't see why humans would be so special to live in a spiritual realm. Our existence doesn't seem to be that meaningful, we just live and die like any other biological organism, no matter how complex and smart we are.

Bees don't have souls...but certain wasps do.  Cats don't have souls...but dogs do.  Snakes don't have souls...but lizards do.  Sparrows don't have souls...but Eagles do.

Fish don't have souls ...but Whales do.  Dolphins have souls...but sharks don't.   Porcupines have souls...but not skunks.  Great Apes have souls...but Humans do not.

• Haha 1

Just now, iridescence said:

Also, we tend to be more compassionate towards animals, especially those fluffy and nice to us. Flies and maggots are disgusting hence they have no soul.

maggots are baby flies...and they have no soul.  Butterflies have souls...some moths do...but not locusts.

• Haha 1

If we go by soul meaning consciousness then pretty much every living thing has it in some way. It's the immortal soul part that's tricky.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

If we go by soul meaning consciousness then pretty much every living thing has it in some way. It's the immortal soul part that's tricky.

It is tricky...

so  you gotta be careful...don't want to offend you know...but nonetheless...

Some weeds have immortal souls ...but, alas, Roses do not.

Cockroaches have immortal souls...but not so much for the Earth Worm.

Biscuits have immortal souls...but not stale white bread.

• Haha 1

@joc, your last few posts have actually used the methods that the whacky spiritual proponents use to create their own philosophy.

Funny because it's true :lol:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, iridescence said:

I've never heard anyone saying that bees or cats have souls, can't see why humans would be so special to live in a spiritual realm. Our existence doesn't seem to be that meaningful, we just live and die like any other biological organism, no matter how complex and smart we are.

here's one for you ! 

9 minutes ago, joc said:

Cockroaches have immortal souls..

They are immortal, I have treated the place twice this summer, and they are still running around.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Habitat said:

They are immortal, I have treated the place twice this summer, and they are still running around.

Boric acid. No more roaches. 

15 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever read on this site!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :rofl:

giphy.gif

Well, I do try.  Indeed, my wife says i can be exceptionally trying . :) 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Nup.  It requires a similar level of SELF AWARE consciousness to that of a human being,   involving the abilty think in symbolic and abstract terms, to  have a soul.

Thus some humans do not have souls, including those with severe brain damage , the very young and those in final stages of dementia or alzheimer's  

There is no evidence for any other life form having an equivalent level of slef aware consciousness to that of an adult human being, although a few individual animals, in a very few species, come close to a childlike level of awareness. (ie around the age of 3/4 in a human child )

Most of these have had long exposure to human beings, so it is hard to determine if their behaviours come from mimicry or self awareness.  As far as i know NOTHING, including humans, have an immortal soul, because soul is a function of mind and mind is a function of a living brain. (so far) 

11 hours ago, iridescence said:

Only humans have the capacity to create a spiritual realm in their minds, and thus only the y can live in one, and be motivated to behave as if one exists.

Ever seen another animal  pray ? (or write poetry) 

And indeed this is why we are unique and NOT "just like any other biological organism" There exists nothing else on this planet which  is like us, for better or for worse. 

What is the difference? We don't just live and die.  We KNOW that we live and  die,  and the difference  in those states of existence,  and this shapes who we are, and how we behave 

Edited by Mr Walker

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Boric acid. No more roaches. 

I tried that at one time, borax and icing sugar, they came back for second helpings ! :angry:

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

here's one for you ! 

Oops. Misread that.

Bee-Gees_l_4711.jpg

• Haha 1

The Bee Gees lived just down the road when I was a kid. I heard a story that the young lads had written some song lyrics on a bedroom wall, and the land-lord cursed them when they vacated the house. Should have cut those panels out and framed them ! Very sad with their early demise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

The Bee Gees lived just down the road when I was a kid. I heard a story that the young lads had written some song lyrics on a bedroom wall, and the land-lord cursed them when they vacated the house. Should have cut those panels out and framed them ! Very sad with their early demise.

When they died, or the early '80s when they were shunned and vilified?

11 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Some even have more soul than others.

Ella-Fitzgerald.jpg

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

When they died, or the early '80s when they were shunned and vilified?

I think they were always highly regarded over here, and in England. As well they should. There is an outdoor monument to them not that far from me, in a kind of outdoor arcade setting, that covers quite a few exhibits, it is open all hours and I saw no evidence of vandalism, which says something.

See the source image

On 1/6/2020 at 9:36 PM, iridescence said:

Most animals can dream so we could say that they create a spiritual realm in their minds since they have some level of creativity.

If we're talking about belief in an afterlife, then their brains are not so evolved and we are indeed more complex. But knowledge doesn't change anything, we still live and die like any other organism.

I am not sure that, as of 2019, it has ever been proven that animals dream, and if they do, what those dreams consist  of.

However the y have similar brain patterns during REM sleep so it is possible, and perhaps even likely that they have dreams   

BUT to create a spiritual realm from  a dream one must have sufficient self aware consciousness to understand the dream, and analyse it, and give purpose/meaning to it.

Otherwise it is a purely biological function of living.

I explained that human spirituality arises from our awareness that we live and die, and thus our need to evolve compensatory mechanisms.

Other animals, without such knowledge /awareness, require no spiritual religious constructs to cope with the knowledge they(do not) possess 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 8:24 PM, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Things that exist can be measured.

Only if you know they exist and have the ability to measure them.  You can’t measure anything you don’t know exists, except for dark matter lol.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I am not sure that, as of 2019, it has ever been proven that animals dream, and if they do, what those dreams consist  of.

However the y have similar brain patterns during REM sleep so it is possible, and perhaps even likely that they have dreams   

BUT to create a spiritual realm from  a dream one must have sufficient self aware consciousness to understand the dream, and analyse it, and give purpose/meaning to it.

Otherwise it is a purely biological function of living.

I explained that human spirituality arises from our awareness that we live and die, and thus our need to evolve compensatory mechanisms.

Other animals, without such knowledge /awareness, require no spiritual religious constructs to cope with the knowledge they(do not) possess 

Animals dream and we know this from observation.   When you see a dog kick it’s legs in its sleep, you watch an animal dream.

As to the rest of your post, no complaints.