Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
RabidMongoose

Optimum Diet for a Human

28 posts in this topic

Habitat

My feeling about what might be the "best" diet, goes like this.....Trust your palate ! Much of processed food is based on fooling the old palate, with added sugars, spices, and salt. The bulk of the processed food with those things removed, is quite unpalatable, totally bland and tasteless. You would never eat soy or lentils without sauces etc added, they are quite tasteless. Your palate ought to be respected, so start with eating that which is most palatable in its least adulterated state. If you do, you will find an interesting thing, those that fit that criteria, are the most expensive foods ! Grains are pretty much excluded on that basis of palatability in the basic state. I would probably give salt a pass as the least-worst acceptable additive, that does not constitute a palate-fooling additive of the worst kind, the title that likely belongs to sugar. Even tomato sauce is packed with it.

ocpaul20

I am not an expert in any of this, so this is only based on what I have read and picked up from various sources.

I think there are a number of different races of humans and this as far as I know is not recognised by science. I think Asians, Europeans, Africans and probably others, belong to different races. I am using the word races here because I cannot remember enough of my biology to use the correct words like species, genus, etc. Plus other things of course, but Asians are not hairy and have different eyes, Africans have dark skin, Europeans have blond hair and are hairy.

Assuming what I suspect is correct, then we all probably have different original diets, body types, and physiologies which work for us. I dont think one diet will be the answer for all of us because we are all prone to different diseases etc.

Looking at people who live a long time in various places in the world, the diets they have are generally pretty plain and contain no processed foods. Depending on the location, they probably eat fruits and some vegetables and very occasionally some meat or fish. Obviously those who live in places where nothing vegetable grows will have mainly meat as their diet.

Our current modern way is to feed the animals and plants we 'grow' with fertilisers and hormones along with pesticides and antibiotics, which I feel can only decrease our lifespan and make us less healthy.

Some of the books I have read claim that our bodies can make the necessary building blocks it needs for health. If this is so, then there is no need for the diets we are told are good for us.

Habitat
1 hour ago, ocpaul20 said:

I am not an expert in any of this, so this is only based on what I have read and picked up from various sources.

I think there are a number of different races of humans and this as far as I know is not recognised by science. I think Asians, Europeans, Africans and probably others, belong to different races. I am using the word races here because I cannot remember enough of my biology to use the correct words like species, genus, etc. Plus other things of course, but Asians are not hairy and have different eyes, Africans have dark skin, Europeans have blond hair and are hairy.

Assuming what I suspect is correct, then we all probably have different original diets, body types, and physiologies which work for us. I dont think one diet will be the answer for all of us because we are all prone to different diseases etc.

Looking at people who live a long time in various places in the world, the diets they have are generally pretty plain and contain no processed foods. Depending on the location, they probably eat fruits and some vegetables and very occasionally some meat or fish. Obviously those who live in places where nothing vegetable grows will have mainly meat as their diet.

Our current modern way is to feed the animals and plants we 'grow' with fertilisers and hormones along with pesticides and antibiotics, which I feel can only decrease our lifespan and make us less healthy.

Some of the books I have read claim that our bodies can make the necessary building blocks it needs for health. If this is so, then there is no need for the diets we are told are good for us.

I think that if you trust your palate, and eat foods in a less processed or adulterated state, you will be well served. A fellow I know developed kidney failure, is on dialysis, and now has a great appetite for meat and other protein, he formerly did not, seemingly because dialysis leaches protein from the body, and his palate has adjusted accordingly.

• Like 1