Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
spartan max2

Corrections trainees fired over Nazi salute

161 posts in this topic

spartan max2

I agree with this. Obviously I do not believe they are Nazi's. The context is clear that they were making a joke about their training instructor being hard of them.

But it's also obviously unprofessional.

West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice on Monday approved the termination of dozens of Corrections Academy trainees seen in a photograph appearing to give a Nazi salute.

The photograph, released publicly earlier this month by the West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety, showed more than 30 trainees from Basic Training Class 18 with their arms raised in a salute. The caption “Hail Byrd!” – a reference to the trainees’ instructor – is visible above the group.

Multiple people have been either fired or suspended in connection with a photo that appeared to show corrections trainees giving a Nazi salute.  

https://www.foxnews.com/us/west-virginia-governor-approves-firing-employees-nazi-salute

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Desertrat56

I remember in Spanish class the teacher showing us how the Spanish army marched and when they were told to halt, they raised their right hand that way.  But that was before WW2, I guess.  He was explaining why the stop signs have the word 'Alto' on them, which also means halt because of the soldiers raising their hand when told to stop ("Alto!").

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

South Alabam

Giving a Nazi Salute in honor of Robert Byrd, a West Virginia Senator and one time exalted Ku Klux Klan member is troubling. Byrd apologized a thousand times and changed his ways, encouraging people to never join the Ku Klux Klan and even earned praise from civil rights advocates for his efforts in civil rights.

If you were a prisoner under the control of one of these people and saw that picture, what would roll through your mind?   Good riddance.

• Like 5

Manwon Lender
20 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I agree with this. Obviously I do not believe they are Nazi's. The context is clear that they were making a joke about their training instructor being hard of them.

But it's also obviously unprofessional.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/west-virginia-governor-approves-firing-employees-nazi-salute

If that photo in the tweet is the trainees giving their Salute, they have a lot to learn about being White Supremacist. On a serious note I kinda agree with you it was most likely a joke. But it was also in very poor taste, in our world today with all the anti-Semitic bevaior in our country along with physical attacks on Jewish people. It was the wrong time to make such jokes.

• Like 2

spartan max2
7 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Giving a Nazi Salute in honor of Robert Byrd, a West Virginia Senator and one time exalted Ku Klux Klan member is troubling. Byrd apologized a thousand times and changed his ways, encouraging people to never join the Ku Klux Klan and even earned praise from civil rights advocates for his efforts in civil rights.

If you were a prisoner under the control of one of these people and saw that picture, what would roll through your mind?   Good riddance.

That's interesting.

I was unaware of who Robert Byrd was and his history.

• Like 1

Buzz_Light_Year

Look at all those racist Nazi's. :P

image-asset.jpeg

Once upon a time in our great country the Bellamy Salute was used while saying the pledge of allegiance. I guess it fell out of use after the Nazi's came to power in Germany. This image displays the upturned palm salute, however palm down was also used.

Yeah the academy salute was probably just a joke as there is a African-American doing the salute also.

• Like 2

Desertrat56
12 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Yeah, but they are young and might think Byrd was being too harsh when he was only trying to prepare them for the reality of their job, so the salute is an indication that they are too immature to have the job, not an indication of their politics.  I think Byrd should be monitored though to be sure he isn't deserving of that salute.  Something like that goes both ways.

• Like 3

and then
21 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

image-asset.jpeg

Once upon a time in our great country the Bellamy Salute was used while saying the pledge of allegiance. I guess it fell out of use after the Nazi's came to power in Germany. This image displays the upturned palm salute, however palm down was also used.

Yeah the academy salute was probably just a joke as there is a African-American doing the salute also.

I agree that most, if not all involved probably didn't really understand the revulsion that symbol still brings but in some positions of authority, you have to be held to a higher standard.  Any kind of law enforcement is one of those, IMO.  The worst part is that the reason for the revulsion probably isn't something they were taught in school.  

• Like 5

Manwon Lender
24 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

image-asset.jpeg

Partner you reference to African Americans is interesting. Did you know that there was an African American who was a member of the KKK? Do web search it a funny story but it true.

Manwon Lender
28 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

That's interesting.

I was unaware of who Robert Byrd was and his history.

I think you should check it out, it just shows how screwed up American politics has always been.

• Like 1

spartan max2
2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Partner you reference to African Americans is interesting. Did you know that there was an African American who was a member of the KKK? Do web search it a funny story but it true.

There's a Spike Lee movie based on it lol 

• Haha 2

South Alabam

I understand their instructors name was "Byrd" also, but seeing "Hail Bryd" on that IMO, would reference Senator Byrd. Who seeing that photo would know any different?

RoofGardener

Ummm.. what on EARTH is a "corrections acadamy trainee" ? 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Haha 1

Desertrat56
4 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Ummm.. what on EARTH is a "corrections acadamy trainee" ? 

Prison guard traning.  Some states require more training than others.

• Like 1

RoofGardener
4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Prison guard traning.  Some states require more training than others.

So a bunch of trainee prison guards make a nazi salute as a joke, and the world falls down ? 

Jee wizz. And we wonder why America is failing ? 

• Like 1

Buzz_Light_Year
1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

gayKKK.jpg

• Haha 2

Manwon Lender
24 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

gayKKK.jpg

That's funny, I was laughing so hard Soda, Came out of my nose.:nw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OverSword

already posted 

Edited by OverSword

Manwon Lender
1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

So a bunch of trainee prison guards make a nazi salute as a joke, and the world falls down ? 

Nah, we all know the real reason America is having problems, but I don't want to contaminate this thread.:yes:

Tatetopa
1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Sorry, how do those two go together?

• Like 1

The Wistman

I'd just like to note that besides the 6 million Jews abused and murdered by the Nazis, there were five million others, from several groups including gays, Romani, political prisoners, Czecks, Hungarians, etc., that met the same fate.  Don't want them to be utterly forgotten.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Desertrat56
8 minutes ago, The Wistman said:

I'd just like to note that besides the 6 million Jews abused and murdered by the Nazis, there were five million others, from several groups including gays, Romani, political prisoners, Czecks, Hungarians, etc., that met the same fate.  Don't want them to be utterly forgotten.

They are not forgotten, why do think this is even a story?

Hammerclaw

Never realized, back in grammar school, when they called roll and I raised my hand, it was a NAZI salute.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Confused 1

Aaron2016

It's just a Roman salute.

Hail Caesar we salute you.

roman.png

Same in America.  Saluting the American flag and pledging their allegiance.

salute1.png

salute2.png

Even the British Royal family tried to get into the spirit of things.

salute3.png

It was also tradition to give the salute outside Notre Dame in Paris before the war as they salute the statue of Joan of Arc.

notre1.png

Yet everyone thinks of the Nazis for some reason?  Raising your arm in salute was a sign of respect.  Some leaders in the past were fascist which has unfortunately made many people misinterpret the salute as simply a fascist salute which has to be condemned without pausing for thought, and which is now apparently a sackable offence.  They clearly need educating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Wistman
2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

They are not forgotten, why do think this is even a story?

Because nearly all current statements (that I read anyway) which refer to the victims of the Nazi holocaust do not include them.  Just to the six million who died in concentration camps, instead of eleven million.  Honestly I mean no disrespect to anybody, nor to make a story where there is none, but if the eleven million are not referred to, then gradually everybody will only remember the six million.  That would be an injustice, in my view.

• Like 3