Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What really became of the Knights Templar ?

UM-Bot

They died in the purge, fought for Robert the Bruce and many minor ones were "forgiven" and went on with what was left of their lives. 

• Thanks 1

“I’m too lazy to actually read history, so I’ll spin some conspiridiotcy around to make me look smarter.”

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

“I’m too lazy to actually read history, so I’ll spin some conspiridiotcy around to make me look smarter.”

Isn't that on par with all alternate history crankery? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

—Jaylemurph 

Out of curiosity, what do you think the author of the article is getting wrong or incorrect about with history?

30 minutes ago, rashore said:

Out of curiosity, what do you think the author of the article is getting wrong or incorrect about with history?

That anything meaningful of the Templars survived. 

Or, perhaps more significantly, if anything did survive, it would be worth the effort to notice. That the Angel of History allows for meaningful understanding of the past. 

—Jaylemurph 

16 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

That anything meaningful of the Templars survived. 

Or, perhaps more significantly, if anything did survive, it would be worth the effort to notice. That the Angel of History allows for meaningful understanding of the past. 

—Jaylemurph 

You and I seem to have taken away different interpretations of the article. I thought the author was saying that there wasn't anything meaningful/significant that survived- the order was disbanded. The ones that lived on seem to have just gone into other orders or off to other lives, nothing notable... and it was that lack that allowed lore and legend to build a lot of fodder unchallenged (in the fictional development sense) into the mythos it has today.

I thought the bit about Ramsey using Templars as a marketing ploy to sell Freemasonry in the 18th century an interesting notion. It made more sense than the more usual notion of an actual secret passed down through hundreds of years Templar convent or bloodline or whatever in Freemasonry.

• Like 2

I´ve written about this before too many times, the Templars exist to this day om Portugal, they just "changed" name, the President of the Republic is the Headmaster.