Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Angry Pope slaps hand of grabby well-wisher

Eldorado

"Pope Francis apologised on Wednesday for having angrily slapped a woman's arm when she had grabbed hold of his hand and yanked him towards her, saying he had lost his patience and set a "bad example".

"His unusual apology came after he used his first homily of the new year to denounce violence against women, which he compared to profaning God.

"Pope Francis, 83, had a sharp encounter with a woman on Tuesday evening during a walkabout in St. Peters Square."

Full report at the UK Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/01/watch-pope-slaps-womans-hand-free-grip/

Edited by Eldorado
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"His unusual apology came after he used his first homily of the new year to denounce violence against women, which he compared to profaning God.

:lol:

Now tell Latin Americans they can use birth control schmuck! :o

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I would have slapped her hand too. Clearly you can see the woman pulling the Pope's wrist very hard. Considering his age and fraggility it must have hurt a lot. No wonder he lost his temper. The woman should have appologized to him not the other way around.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Denounces the use and abuse of women only to turn around and slap a woman, not once, but twice.

It's downright sickening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Denounces the use and abuse of women only to turn around and slap a woman, not once, but twice.

In many domestic violence cases, regardless of the female's acts the male is the one taken away to jail if he retaliates or defends himself. Especially here in CA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Hey, he's the pope...he doesn't need to do anything else to be downright sickening.  When she pulled him in he should have jabbed her with a quick Left...then came back around with a fast right for the KO.

45 minutes ago, joc said:

Hey, he's the pope...he doesn't need to do anything else to be downright sickening.  When she pulled him in he should have jabbed her with a quick Left...then came back around with a fast right for the KO.

The quick lefts and fast rights are best reserved for the pedophiles he chooses to protect.

• Like 3

Legend has it that the women's 12 years of hemorrhaging was cured with that slap.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Davros of Skaro said:

Legend has it that the women's 12 years of hemorrhaging was cured with that slap.

It was in that moment that the pope knocked the devil out of her. 

• Like 1

Pope is normal person, He feels angers as any others does

Mortally human indeed

Edited by Great Old Man
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

What about the abuse of an elderly person?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

plenty of celebrities get fed up with people wanting to touch them.

14 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Watching the clip then the Pope has nothing to apologise for.

He is fully entitled to pull away from her, to slap her hand to get her off, and to be annoyed afterwards. Women are not entitled to behave however they want towards others and people are allowed to use acceptable force to stop them. A slap on the hands is perfectly reasonable in response to being grabbed and pulled.

She should apologise to him.

• Thanks 1

I think they were both in the wrong.

The woman was too forceful in her eagerness to grab his attention. She could see he was walking away before reaching her and in her efforts to bring him back she grabbed his hand, which wasn't a very polite thing to do really. However in return the pope wasn't too happy about being pulled back like that, but I feel he could have handled the incident better than he did. Instead of slapping her hand in annoyance he could have just pulled away from her more gently or even spoken to her for a few seconds. All the woman wanted was some contact with him which obviously meant a lot to her. He was there meeting the crowds anyway, what difference would it have made to have given her some attention also.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

All the woman wanted was some contact with him which obviously meant a lot to her.

Which amounts to idol worship.

49 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

She should press charges. 

Against the one who raised her so badly she's pulling people like they're things.

If we forget it's the Pope and look at the footage again, whose behaviour was unacceptable, his or hers? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, odas said:

What about the abuse of an elderly person?

What about it? In any other context my response to the incident might have been different. No strike that. It would have been the same. Pope Francis has been very vocal about the rights of women (and others) which is why his reaction to this particular woman struck a discordant tone. There were a number of ways he could have extricated himself. If he were to practice what he preached, he would have shown patience, understanding and compassion. He would have forgiven her. He would also have taken a moment to offer a few kind words. 

The woman should not have grabbed him (on this we all agree), but nothing excuses his reaction to her. If you encourage religious fervour, then you need to be prepared for all and any possible outcomes. Pope John Paul faced worse and not once lost his composure. Pope Francis could learn from him.

Edited by Kittens Are Jerks
Grammatical correction.
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

What about it? In any other context my response to the incident might have been different. No strike that. It would have been the same. Pope Francis has been very vocal about the rights of women (and others) which is why his reaction to this particular woman struck a discordant tone. There were a number of ways he could have extricated himself. If he were to practice what he preached, he would have shown patience, understanding and compassion. He would have forgiven her. He would also have taken a moment to offer a few kind words. 

And pull a whole cake with lit candles out of his sleeve, just for her.

29 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The woman should not have grabbed him (on this we all agree), but nothing excuses his reaction to her. If you encourage religious fervour, then you need to be prepared for all and any possible outcomes. Pope John Paul faced worse and not once lost his composure. Pope Francis could learn from him.

His reaction was natural, not at all harsh or an overreaction and he didn't have to apologize, in my opinion. She should apologize for treating an elderly person like an item on a sale. 

John Paul accepted quite tight security after he was shot. Popemobil with bullet-resistant glass and such. Francis is trying to go back among the people, apparently accepting very lax security, which means he is accepting the risk.

Again, imagine he was not the Pope. Would anyone mind he objected to being pulled like that? (Being a Catholic, Popes included, does not mean you're supposed to let random violent people push and pull you around. Catholics must try to avoid inflicting more damage than necessary. So I see no hypocrisy in his reaction.) 

• Like 4

Woman grabs pope by the hand pulls him back he stumbles, she won't let go he slaps her hand, that's it, if you're outraged by this you deal in fake outrage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Every time I see this topic, I see "grubby well-wisher". I obviously need help !

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Catholics must try to avoid inflicting more damage than necessary. So I see no hypocrisy in his reaction.) 

not Catholics....priests!

the Catholic Clergy inflicts more damage than necessary just by existing.  but I digress...I'd have probably said...wtf b****!  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

And pull a whole cake with lit candles out of his sleeve, just for her.

Or maybe a kitten.

His reaction was natural, not at all harsh or an overreaction and he didn't have to apologize, in my opinion. She should apologize for treating an elderly person like an item on a sale. 

I agree that she should apologise. No one has the right to grab another person like that, especially someone elderly. I'm surprised she wasn't dog-piled by security. Pope Francis' reaction may or may not have been harsh under the circumstances, but it was extraordinarily unbecoming and inappropriate. He may have been taken off guard, was most likely in some pain, but still had enough time to make a better choice on how to handle the situation.

John Paul accepted quite tight security after he was shot. Popemobil with bullet-resistant glass and such. Francis is trying to go back among the people, apparently accepting very lax security, which means he is accepting the risk.

And in accepting that risk one would think he would be better prepared for it. It shouldn't surprise him that people have a propensity to get over-emotional in his presence. If his security is going to allow him to fight his own battles, then they should better prepare him for them.

Again, imagine he was not the Pope. Would anyone mind he objected to being pulled like that? (Being a Catholic, Popes included, does not mean you're supposed to let random violent people push and pull you around. Catholics must try to avoid inflicting more damage than necessary. So I see no hypocrisy in his reaction.

But he IS the Pope and having people desperate to touch or speak to you is par for the course. I am not for a moment suggesting that anyone has the right to do any of that (they obviously don't), but hey, he shouldn't be surprised when it happens. As for Catholics avoiding more damage than necessary... from your lips to the Pope's ears. Forget I wrote that last part. I just had the most horrendous visual.

• Like 2