Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia's hypersonic weapon is now operational

UM-Bot

38 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Only way to make nuclear weapons irrelevant is mutual assured destruction, well done Russia!

MAD has been the reality for my whole life.  I'm 59.  What, exactly, do you think has changed with this new advancement?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Ummmmmmm... no. 

I think they are bluffing. 

Me too. They might actually have a hypersonic missile and it’s range is probably small so no biggie.

22 minutes ago, and then said:

MAD has been the reality for my whole life.  I'm 59.  What, exactly, do you think has changed with this new advancement?

Nothing. 

• Like 1

If its loaned/sold to Iran all will kick-off , are the Russians mad enough to do that .

• Like 1

So the country that can't even keep their one and only aircraft carrier operational now boast of a technological breakthrough. :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

So the country that can't even keep their one and only aircraft carrier operational...

Oh, is that what you've been told? :D hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

47 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

So the country that can't even keep their one and only aircraft carrier operational now boast of a technological breakthrough. :huh:

It's a question of where they choose to put their talents and investment.  China and the US feel that is in huge CBG's but Russia prefers stealth subs and hypersonic missiles.  On paper its hard to argue with that.  Even US military experts are now beginning to see their CBG's as huge floating targets.  

Another are where Russia is excelling at the moment is in EW technology.  I think they have the USM very concerned at the moment but by all means DYOR.

It's high time for hypersonic missiles.

• Thanks 1

Avangard is a great name though. Very Tolkien.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

According to reports, Russia's ambitious new Avangard hypersonic weapon system is now up and running.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/333430/russias-hypersonic-weapon-is-now-operational

It certainly adds a new risk to other military powers. But over all it won't stop a Nuclear War, or even slow it down. 

Peace

2 hours ago, and then said:

Nothing much it still doesn't stop Nuclear proliferation. 

Peace

Hypersonic missiles are great; but it doesn't revolutionise anything really. Now, if missile defence systems were 98% effective at the moment and this hypersonic missile nullified this... it would be a problem. But as it is, missile defence systems have a scarily low success rate in doing their job. That's in use for nuclear warheads. In terms of sinking aircraft carriers? Very useful. I'm not sure of a full carrier fleets missile defence net success rate, but I suspect it isn't good enough to stop hypersonics missiles. However, Russia makes lots of claims to put the wind up the West and a lot of sabre rattling by a paper tiger. Buuuuut one has to assume they're on the level. End of the day, not much has changed regarding nuclear warfare. If they have enough of them, have enough delivery systems (land based launchers, ship launchers, aircraft launchers or whatever they're planning to do with it eventually) then any aircraft carrier in the Baltic or Black Sea is at a lot of risk. Most likely in any NATO confrontation with Russia would be UK aircraft carriers due to American steam CATOBAR's being unsuitable for cold weather (though electromagnetic CATOBAR's are in development which will fix that, expensive tho) and the UK military has already pointed out that they can't do anything regarding the missiles. So, boom, their ships will go unless USA, France and Italy have their aircraft carriers in the area with full fleet support to overlap defence... which I suspect still won't deal with it. Ah well. Cest la vie. Perhaps laser defence weapons will be ready and effective soon. Likely result if they are legit is that every NATO force will remain out of its range and Russia will use it as a quasi area of denial weapon. Bit like the IJN Yamato in WW2. The rest of the Russian military isn't in a good position, but they'd walk through Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia. Poland will resist but fall. Depends if Belarus decides to join Russia or not.

Anyway went off topic, sorry.

3 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Ummmmmmm... no. 

I think they are as well. 

2 hours ago, Rolci said:

Oh, is that what you've been told? :D hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_carriers_of_Russia_and_the_Soviet_Union

Kuznetsov had a fire that basically gutted it.  Over a billion in repairs needed.  If you know of any currently operating Russian carriers, feel free to post a link.

3 hours ago, and then said:

With the missile defense system... more and more it was not the case anymore. That weapon bypass it and they are back to square one.

There IS no defense if we were to have a nuclear holocaust. The speed of delivery is irrelevant. We reached saturation 35 years ago. That means that we would kill most of the people on the entire planet if we were to detonate our missiles IN THEIR silos. The defense for many many years has been the mutually assured destruction that eliminated the possibility of any winner. To launch, whether sub or super sonically is suicide for the entire world.

On 1/1/2020 at 5:02 PM, UM-Bot said:

According to reports, Russia's ambitious new Avangard hypersonic weapon system is now up and running.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/333430/russias-hypersonic-weapon-is-now-operational

This missile is an upgraded Sarmat ICBM.

It can travel at Mach 20-27 (which is very impressive), and is highly manoeuvrable. The downside is it carries a single warhead ranging from 800 kilotons up to 2 megatons in yield.

That means it isn't strictly speaking a city killer, its for devastating military installations and bases instead.  This is only for knocking out an enemies ability to wage war, and retaliate with nuclear weapons. Traditional ICBMs with their MIRVs and decoys are for mass nuclear genocide instead.

The USA is working on its own hypersonic re-entry vehicles but it seems the Russians are ahead.

On 1/1/2020 at 5:30 PM, RoofGardener said:

Ummmmmmm... no. 

I dont because Russia doesnt have the money to compete for full spectrum dominance.

Therefore, it places more importance on keeping its MAD abilities up to date.

5 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I dont because Russia doesnt have the money to compete for full spectrum dominance.

Therefore, it places more importance on keeping its MAD abilities up to date.

Do you think (I'm really asking your opinion here, honestly) there is any correlation between Russia announcing their Hypersonic deployments the day after Christmas and the attack on the US Emabassy by the Iranians?  

If Russia really has this capability...are they attempting to start WWIII and wipe out all the players instantly?  

On 1/1/2020 at 9:19 PM, and then said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_carriers_of_Russia_and_the_Soviet_Union

Kuznetsov had a fire that basically gutted it.  Over a billion in repairs needed.  If you know of any currently operating Russian carriers, feel free to post a link.

Yes, by all means, you will be the first to know!

On 1/3/2020 at 3:39 PM, joc said:

Do you think (I'm really asking your opinion here, honestly) there is any correlation between Russia announcing their Hypersonic deployments the day after Christmas and the attack on the US Emabassy by the Iranians?  

If Russia really has this capability...are they attempting to start WWIII and wipe out all the players instantly?  

If someone wants to "wipe out all the players instantsly", do you honestly believe that they are going to make announcements first?

Edited by Rolci