Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery pneumonia virus (COVID-2019) in China

Still Waters

S Korea update, if anyone is interested. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This might be a conspiracy or NOT! Check out this YouTube video made in 2010.

View the entire video for this is too coincidental.

This was conspired!

China Catches a Cold

• Haha 1

As of last night Italy has closed of its 14 northern provinces and effectively cut off cities like Modena, Bologna and numerous other. 

Aproximately 1/4 of the country is quarrantined. 

I didnt read all of the posts here,  but is there a specific reason it spread so fast and so effectively in Italy rather than lets say Germany?

• Like 2

"At least 10 people are dead and 23 remain missing after a hotel being used as a coronavirus quarantine facility in the Chinese city of Quanzhou collapsed on Saturday.

"Rescue workers are still searching the rubble of the five-storey Xinjia Hotel in the southern province of Fujian.

"Seventy-one people were in the building when it collapsed and dozens have been rescued, authorities say."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51787936

• Sad 2

I can't figure out why this is causing such panic and over reaction.  The flu goes around the world every year, usually starting in China, affect and kills way more people, yet I don't recall ever hearing of mass quarantines and other drastic measures.  I get the feeling we're not being told everything there is to know about this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

I can't figure out why this is causing such panic and over reaction.  The flu goes around the world every year, usually starting in China, affect and kills way more people, yet I don't recall ever hearing of mass quarantines and other drastic measures.  I get the feeling we're not being told everything there is to know about this.

I can't say I've ever seen a virus chased down like this either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

I can't say I've ever seen a virus chased down like this either. 

It's anomalous in that it doesn't seem as bad for the very young or very old. It seems particularly lethal for breeding age adults. I think the suspicion is that it is a product of bioengineering, a weaponized virus that escaped quarantine. 

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's anomalous in that it doesn't seem as bad for the very young or very old. It seems particularly lethal for breeding age adults. I think the suspicion is that it is a product of bioengineering, a weaponized virus that escaped quarantine. 

I thought that the fatalities were mainly octogenarians and others with preexisting conditions.  It struck me as unusual that the very young were spared.  That's nearly the opposite of most contagious diseases.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, CloudSix said:

As of last night Italy has closed of its 14 northern provinces and effectively cut off cities like Modena, Bologna and numerous other. 

Aproximately 1/4 of the country is quarrantined. 

I didnt read all of the posts here,  but is there a specific reason it spread so fast and so effectively in Italy rather than lets say Germany?

It supposedly spreads by droplets, so the closer you are to people the more likely they will get it.

Perhaps part of the reason it spread fast in some places is because those people stand closer to each other when they talk?

I've also read there is supposed to be a aggressive strain, and s mild strain. And where the aggressive strain landed may be where it currently is the worse.

• Like 3

On 3/6/2020 at 11:33 PM, susieice said:

Saw this on my newsfeed. People are stealing hand sanitizer off of hospital beds. People are stealing the whole dispensers right off the walls. In the comments, people from England and the US were saying people are also stealing toilet paper and boxes of masks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-51771584?at_custom2=facebook_page&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_medium=custom7&at_custom4=5BAE9BD0-5FBB-11EA-8A3B-F87696E8478F&at_campaign=64&at_custom3=BBC+News&fbclid=IwAR0i7SzBpfHfb39n1Rgq234yE10MrmaSfp62u_1bp6bMwYMi9dlIxJnfXwI&fbclid=IwAR0lUYE992P0tQ0sHmAuaRAmTMJwyCCiCtO2kKAOcqmoDh4luR6afyki27A

I heard this from a checker at our local store. Stuff stolen off the shelves. People taking stuff from other peoples carts. Going into the back looking for stuff....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

I thought that the fatalities were mainly octogenarians and others with preexisting conditions.  It struck me as unusual that the very young were spared.  That's nearly the opposite of most contagious diseases.

Yeah, but anyone with underlying health conditions and compromised immune systems are at risk. 

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2020/coronavirus-severe-seniors.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big Jim said:

The flu goes around the world every year, usually starting in China, affect and kills way more people, yet I don't recall ever hearing of mass quarantines and other drastic measures. 

The COVID-19 mortality rate is doing the trick here:

4. How severe is COVID-19 infection?  

Preliminary findings indicate that the mortality rate for COVID-19 is 20-30 per thousand people diagnosed. This is significantly less than the 2003 SARS outbreak. However, it is much higher than the mortality rate for seasonal influenza.

European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control

I get the feeling we're not being told everything there is to know about this.

You will find 1to1 and unfiltered information about COVID-19 on the HP of the Robert Koch Institute/Germany (in English as well)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Big Jim said:

It IS troubling but we'll know soon enough.  Now that it's definitely in the community in at least half the states, there will be no hiding any extraordinary percentage of mortality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, and then said:

It IS troubling but we'll know soon enough.  Now that it's definitely in the community in at least half the states, there will be no hiding any extraordinary percentage of mortality.

Or, after large scale testing... possibly the lack thereof.

• Like 2

I don't go anywhere after 1/28.  from 1/28 I 'm hide in my house all day long. 

I lost job 2019 December, so I don't have to go outside. 

But It feels bad when I stay all day long in house to avoid Wuhan corona.

I want to go eat outside, and I want to see movie in theater, but I can't.

most of churches and temples have been stopped.

lots of people are infected, and south-west region of around Daegue is really apocalyptic.

Now, we Korean are hard to find mask because running out of mask.

and some people were even dead, without funeral.

It makes me so sad when I heard the news that one man lost  his family because of Wuhan Corona.

Edited by Great Old Man
  • Sad 5

I just read a news article on Covid-19 and it also mentioned SARS and MERS.  The one common denominator was that they were all suspected of beginning in bats that then passed the virus to another animal and from there it infected humans.  This seems to completely ignore the fact that whole bats are eaten in China, so no intermediary animal is necessary.  After first learning of the connection between bats and humans it was negligent of the Chinese not to ban bats from the food supply.  That would have been a much easier prevention method than quarantining whole cities and sequestering entire cruise ships.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Big Jim said:

I would say everything we are being told is the reason for the quarantines, the drastic measures and concerns.

The global mortality rate for covid-19 last I saw was 3.4. That is much higher than the 1918 Spanish flu which had a mortality rate of 2.5 and that virus was 200 times more deadly than the common strains of flu which have a mortality rate of 0.1.

And it may only be very deadly to the elderly and Immunocompromised, but there a lot of elderly people in the US and with all the medications for various autoimmune diseases, which suppress the immune system there may be many younger people in the US that are also at high risk for complications. In any given family there are probably at least couple of elderly and possibly a couple of immuno-compromised people. If only those people died, it would still leave wounds across most families in the US and the world.

I would also say if the virus wouldn't have been delayed at all in china and spread quickly to all the nations, it could very will have been a much grimmer outlook right now.

• Like 2

I'll live my life and take my chances. The world is full of tiny things that will kill you. Ten thousand have already died of the flu, here in the States alone. Life has always been like this--now we have mass communication to depress us about it, 24/7.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

I just read a news article on Covid-19 and it also mentioned SARS and MERS.  The one common denominator was that they were all suspected of beginning in bats that then passed the virus to another animal and from there it infected humans.  This seems to completely ignore the fact that whole bats are eaten in China, so no intermediary animal is necessary.  After first learning of the connection between bats and humans it was negligent of the Chinese not to ban bats from the food supply.  That would have been a much easier prevention method than quarantining whole cities and sequestering entire cruise ships.

It seems like there would be very little meat on a bat.   Just don't eat them.   They have spread disease in the past.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Spanish Flu Pandemic of the early 1900s infected half a billion with worldwide casualties estimated anywhere from 17 to 100 million. It isn't the virus that's the main killer in pandemics, either, it's secondary ailments and infections from lack of treatment and poor hygiene. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

It seems like there would be very little meat on a bat.   Just don't eat them.   They have spread disease in the past.   

Exactly.  I wouldn't care if they were on sale and came with free beer, there's no way I could eat one.  Even in a Chinese market there's got to be better choices.  Try the cat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I'll live my life and take my chances. The world is full of tiny things that will kill you. Ten thousand have already died of the flu, here in the States alone. Life has always been like this--now we have mass communication to depress us about it, 24/7.

I'm with you.  I take a bigger chance getting in the shower every morning.  Or driving to the store.  It's all relative, while viral infections are up, Indian attacks are at an all time low.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

I'm with you.  I take a bigger chance getting in the shower every morning.  Or driving to the store.  It's all relative, while viral infections are up, Indian attacks are at an all time low.

You ain't been to Jersey. At the worst case scenario, if the entire population of the States was infected, the death toll would be around ten million. This number would we be significantly reduced by modern medical treatment, because it isn't the virus, alone, that does the killing. It's secondary infections and disease that inflates the number of casualties.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You ain't been to Jersey. At the worst case scenario, if the entire population of the States was infected, the death toll would be around ten million. This number would we be significantly reduced by modern medical treatment, because it isn't the virus, alone, that does the killing. It's secondary infections and disease that inflates the number of casualties.

I learn something new every day.  Of all the examples I could have chosen I thought this one was safe.

You're right about the secondary infections.  The hygiene and procedures at the hospital can make matters worse.  Many people go in for one thing and come out with something else, or don't come out at all.

• Like 1

"Six inmates have died in an Italian jail after riots broke out over visitation bans introduced amid the coronavirus lockdown, according to local reports."

"Protests broke out in more than two dozen prisons on Sunday, which continued well into Monday, in Naples Poggioreale in the south, Frosinone in central Italy and at Alexandria in the northwest, while some inmates escaped from a prison in Foggia.

"Human rights advocates have been warning that increasing tensions over fears of coronavirus were hitting inmates particularly hard, especially after the restrictions were imposed on family visits to prevent transmissions. Italy is facing the worst outbreak of the virus outside China with 7,375 confirmed cases and 366 deaths."

Full story: https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/09/six-inmates-dead-coronavirus-riots-italian-prisons-12371589/?

• Sad 2