Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Mystery pneumonia virus (COVID-2019) in China

513 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

spartan max2

Well ****.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado

"A British tourist is feared to to be the first western victim of the pneumonia-like coronavirus, sweeping China.

"Ash Shorley, 32, is fighting for his life after being rushed to hospital in Phuket after the mystery bug infected both his lungs while he was on Koh Phi Phi island in Thailand."

At Yahoo News: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/british-tourist-struck-down-by-mystery-bug-feared-to-be-coronavirus-184935696.html?

And at the UK Metro: https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/20/british-patient-fighting-life-may-contracted-mystery-chinese-virus-12088493/

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raptor Witness

Bacterial Pneumonia Caused Most Deaths in 1918 Influenza Pandemic -  Implications for Future Pandemic Planning - NIH August 19, 2008

The majority of deaths during the influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 were not caused by the influenza virus acting alone, report researchers from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health. Instead, most victims succumbed to bacterial pneumonia following influenza virus infection.

_______________
This is the most interesting, because previous studies that I had read suggested that cytokine reactions or “storms” were the cause of most of the deaths, or an overreaction by the body to the virus, leading to the lungs filling up with fluid.

Which then begs the question, should we all receive bacterial pneumonia shots now, regardless of our age, or might that increase the likelihood of a cytokine reaction?

Edited by Raptor Witness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
5 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Bacterial Pneumonia Caused Most Deaths in 1918 Influenza Pandemic -  Implications for Future Pandemic Planning - NIH August 19, 2008

The majority of deaths during the influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 were not caused by the influenza virus acting alone, report researchers from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health. Instead, most victims succumbed to bacterial pneumonia following influenza virus infection.

_______________
This is the most interesting, because previous studies that I had read suggested that cytokine reactions were the cause of most of the deaths, or an overreaction by the body to the virus, leading to the lungs filling up with fluid.

Which then begs the question, should we all receive bacterial pneumonia shots now, regardless of our age, or might that increase the likelihood of a cytokine reaction?

Getting pneumonia shots may not be the Answer. If this is genetically altered Virus the shots most likely will not work. But as far as the shots go, I would still consider getting it if you haven't already. I just got my first shot in the series, around a week ago not because of this out break, but I got it because my doctor recommended it. 

Paece

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raptor Witness
3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Getting pneumonia shots may not be the Answer. If this is genetically altered Virus the shots most likely will not work. But as far as the shots go, I would still consider getting it if you haven't already. I just got my first shot in the series, around a week ago not because of this out break, but I got it because my doctor recommended it. 

Paece

I don’t think you understand the hypothesis. It’s not a virus that you’re being vaccinated against in these pneumonia shots, and it’s the subsequent bacterial infection, after you get the virus, that you would be vaccinated against.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

I don’t think you understand the hypothesis. It’s not a virus that you’re being vaccinated against in these pneumonia shots, and it’s the subsequent bacterial infection, after you get the virus, that you would be vaccinated against.

The flu shot immunizes against the most common strain.

The virus from China is a different strain. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raptor Witness
1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

The flu shot immunizes against the most common strain.

The virus from China is a different strain. 

This isn't a flu virus. It's completely different ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
21 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

This isn't a flu virus. It's completely different ...

Same principles apply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raptor Witness
57 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Same principles apply.

And exactly what principles are those?

A “genetically altered flu virus” has nothing to do with a subsequent bacterial infection of the lungs, due to a principal viral infection of the lungs.

What basically happens is, the lungs are attacked by a virus, and the lungs start shedding material, which cannot be adequately removed by the cilia, and then the bacteria move in and kill the patient.

After having given it some additional thought, my belief is the chances of a cytokine storm are likely reduced by vaccination against the pneumococcal bacteria.

There wont likely be a vaccine against this new virus, before it has already spread across the globe, but if you haven’t had your pneumonia shot, you might benefit from it, even if you are under age 65, and before a run on the vaccine occurs, due to a possible pandemic.
 

 

Edited by Raptor Witness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

Just saw also, the first US case was found in a man from Washington State. Currently, three US airports regularly check passengers flying in from China, especially the Wuhan region. Two more will be added this week. The US may require anyone wishing to come into the US will have to enter via these five airports.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/first-coronavirus-case-confirmed-in-united-states-1.4777218?fbclid=IwAR3wWHZ376y1fwoV7g1iwT-ollYI9c2k4mgfNPWiQvCRLbcB_uTzvHI_jDY

Late last week, U.S. health officials began screening passengers from Wuhan in central China, where the outbreak began, at three U.S. airports -- New York City's Kennedy airport and the Los Angeles and San Francisco airports. On Tuesday, the CDC announced it will add Chicago's O'Hare airport and Atlanta's airport to the mix later this week.

What's more, officials will begin forcing all passengers that originate in Wuhan to go to one of those five airports if they wish to enter the U.S.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acidhead

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe

How many people traveled before they figured this virus was even out there?  Yesterday I helped someone who came from China the day before,  I could have been exposed to it without the customer even knowing if they were a carrier.  It is a scary thought, especially since I have an autoimmune disease. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Great Old Man

 

Situation became much worse, City of Wuhan became Racoon City. 

I heard that, hospital could not take enough care because too many people are infected.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
On 1/19/2020 at 11:23 AM, spartan max2 said:

On the bright side we have the CDC, WHO and each nation has their own versions of the CDC, which wasn't true in 1917, so the science communities response to the outbreak would be quicker.

That is certainly true, the responce will be quicker.  But the fact that we are dealing with a virus, only makes treatment that much more difficult. There is one thing that really isn't obvious, while most developed countries do have organizations like the CDC, they are not nearly as good as the CDC. I was living in South Korea when they got hit by MERS for more than a month after the initial out break they were still having cross contamination at the Largest Hospitals in the country.

The Virus was being spread by health care workers who apparently were not well trained in procedures needed to handle the infection. Finally the WHO and the CDC sent in personnel to teach them the proper procedures in dealing with these type of infections. Thankfully SARS was not an airborne virus, if it had been no telling what would have happened.

With that said, this new virus Is Airborne, which makes it that much harder to control. Especially in a place like China, where people live in tightly packed areas. Health care in countries like this can be good or bad it all depends upon the doctor you choose for treatment, just like Korea. They also don't exercise the same kind of quarantine procedures that are used in the USA. That's why people that are currently entering the US from infected areas are being screened at immigration and segregated if they have any flue like symptoms. 

But at this point I think, it's to little to late since the virus is Airborne because if one person on a incoming flight is found to be infected the whole plane will be put in quarantined and this will be difficult and expensive. As of today the entire city of Wuhan with 11 million residents has been quarantined by the Chinese Givernment. Because of this the WHO has held off calling this a World Wide Epidemic, hopefully it remains this way and the Virus will be contained, but after it took so long to get things started I don't think this fix is going to stop the spread. 

To date the virus has spread to 8 different countries including the USA.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

How many people traveled before they figured this virus was even out there?  Yesterday I helped someone who came from China the day before,  I could have been exposed to it without the customer even knowing if they were a carrier.  It is a scary thought, especially since I have an autoimmune disease. 

Well let's hope your fine, but if you are worried you can go to your healthcare provider and be screened, in fact with your condition that may be a good idea. But I do beleive they are screening people when they enter Customs.

peace

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender

It appears this Virus know as the Coronavirus is directly related to SARS and MERS. Coronaviruses are found in Bat Colonies in different Asian countries, and while most Coronaviruses can't be spread from animals to humans this Virus known as 2019 - nCoN along with SARS and MERS have been spread to humans apparently by Bats. Currently the CDC states that the Health Risk to people living in the USA is low risk. But Novel ( New ) Viruses like this are very dangerous and the current situation is currently still evolving, 

The US started screenings at customs for people coming from China or other countries Where this Virus has spread on 17 Jan 2019. While this is a very good procedure someone infected could slip through the crack, if they are infected but not showing signs of the infection. Last this epidemic is no where near it's end, the entire situation is very fluid hopefully containment is helping to stop the spread. My biggest concern is how long was the Virus active in China before it was reported to the WHO and the CDC,

In many cases these Viruses are not reported until they can't be contained, and again hopefully that wasn't the case here.

Peace

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
On 1/21/2020 at 9:44 AM, Raptor Witness said:

And exactly what principles are those?

A “genetically altered flu virus” has nothing to do with a subsequent bacterial infection of the lungs, due to a principal viral infection of the lungs.

What basically happens is, the lungs are attacked by a virus, and the lungs start shedding material, which cannot be adequately removed by the cilia, and then the bacteria move in and kill the patient.

After having given it some additional thought, my belief is the chances of a cytokine storm are likely reduced by vaccination against the pneumococcal bacteria.

There wont likely be a vaccine against this new virus, before it has already spread across the globe, but if you haven’t had your

On 1/21/2020 at 9:44 AM, Raptor Witness said:

And exactly what principles are those?

A “genetically altered flu virus” has nothing to do with a subsequent bacterial infection of the lungs, due to a principal viral infection of the lungs.

What basically happens is, the lungs are attacked by a virus, and the lungs start shedding material, which cannot be adequately removed by the cilia, and then the bacteria move in and kill the patient.

After having given it some additional thought, my belief is the chances of a cytokine storm are likely reduced by vaccination against the pneumococcal bacteria.

There wont likely be a vaccine against this new virus, before it has already spread across the globe, but if you haven’t had your pneumonia shot, you might benefit from it, even if you are under age 65, and before a run on the vaccine occurs, due to a possible pandemic.
 

 

u might benefit from it, even if you are under age 65, and before a run on the vaccine occurs, due to a possible pandemic.
 

 

Since the 2019-nCoN is a Virus, the pneumonia vaccine will not be effective. That vaccine is designed for Bacterial infections of pneumonia only not Viral. In almost all cases there are no vaccines or antibiotics that will cure Viral infections, they just have to run their course. 

Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe
1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well let's hope your fine, but if you are worried you can go to your healthcare provider and be screened, in fact with your condition that may be a good idea. But I do beleive they are screening people when they enter Customs.

peace

I sure hope they are.  In the old days they would quarantine at the first hint of disease-better safe than sorry.  There aren't preventative measures until the sickness has already spread.  NOW they have stopped outbound flights and trains.:huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raptor Witness
7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Since the 2019-nCoN is a Virus, the pneumonia vaccine will not be effective. That vaccine is designed for Bacterial infections of pneumonia only not Viral. In almost all cases there are no vaccines or antibiotics that will cure Viral infections, they just have to run their course. 

Peace

You’re not reading the NIH study I posted above, about the cause of most of the deaths in the 1918 pandemic. It said that it wasn’t the pandemic virus that killed most of the patients, but the resulting bacterial infections, which were likely predominately pneumococcal.

What’s the point of confusing people here about the reported predominant cause of the deaths?  If you don’t understand what you’re reading, or you don’t understand the explanation, just say so.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still Waters
Quote

Coronavirus: panic and anger in Wuhan as China orders city into lockdown

A sense of panic has spread in Wuhan as the Chinese city of 11 million people was put on lockdown in an attempt to quarantine a deadly virus believed to have originated there.

On Thursday, authorities banned all transport links from the city, suspending buses, the subway system, ferries and shutting the airport and train stations to outgoing passengers.

Nearby Huanggang and Ezhou suspended buses, subways and ferries and shut the airport and train stations to outgoing passengers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/23/coronavirus-panic-and-anger-in-wuhan-as-china-orders-city-into-lockdown

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener

My advise ? 

runforhills2.gif

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.