Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Physicist pursues dream of time travel

UM-Bot

Unfortunately for our time travel, dreaming physicist all the physical matter of the entire physical Universe exists only in the present moment. There is no physical matter in the past or future, so even if the machine was successful, there would be no Universe to go to.

Even if it were possible to make time spin backwards on Earth, no earthly machine could ever have enough energy to spin the entire physical Universe backwards. If it were possible to spin matter backwards in time, the effect would be very localized, and it would cause havoc on the surrounding space. Very likely, any subatomic particles that could be made to spin backwards in time would end up completely destroyed. It would have an effect similar to antimatter and normal matter colliding.

Edited by David Thomson
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UM-Bot said:

University of Connecticut physics professor Ron Mallett hopes to one day build a working time machine.

:lol:

I hope he doesn't get any government grants. :huh:

• Thanks 1

The article is puffery.  He has no new information, no real plan, and no prototype or new observations that support his claim.

As I've said before, time travel in the literal sense is obviously not possible, simply because if it was - where are all the time travelers from the future?  The only way to explain that rather obvious observation, is that there are infinite mutltiple timelines sprouting at every moment, which would mean you could only affect a new timeiline, which meant you could never get back...  There are so many paradoxes involved... that Ron Mallet needs to get a lot further befiore even claiming there could be a breakthrough, let alone that he's made one...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, David Thomson said:

Unfortunately for our time travel, dreaming physicist all the physical matter of the entire physical Universe exists only in the present moment. There is no physical matter in the past or future, so even if the machine was successful, there would be no Universe to go to.

Even if it were possible to make time spin backwards on Earth, no earthly machine could ever have enough energy to spin the entire physical Universe backwards. If it were possible to spin matter backwards in time, the effect would be very localized, and it would cause havoc on the surrounding space. Very likely, any subatomic particles that could be made to spin backwards in time would end up completely destroyed. It would have an effect similar to antimatter and normal matter colliding.

As far as I know, time travel (to the future) has been proven possible. It's directly linked to gravity. The stronger the gravity pull, the slower time is. Hang around the event horizon of a black hole for about 5 years and life on Earth would be 10 years older.

As much as I & everyone else in the world would like to go back in time it is impossible to undo what has already been done. Its over. Now slowing down time is possible but from their perspective. Astronauts do it but on a grand scale would take alot of energy. 

Edited by AllPossible

Anti-matter and anti-gravity : anything which is able to twist time in the opposite direction of gravity.

• Confused 1

Easy create three mini singularities, and when they spin or move in one orbit the device within the space/time bubble goes foraward, and when reversed the opposite occurs, at least that is what my future self tells me!

^_^