Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

'World's largest' flower spotted in Indonesia

Still Waters

Indonesian conservationists say they've spotted the biggest specimen ever of what's already been billed as one of the world's largest flowers.

The giant Rafflesia tuan-mudae—a fleshy red flower with white blister-like spots on its enormous petals—came in at a whopping 111 centimetres (3.6 foot) in diameter.

That's bigger than the previous record of 107 centimetres on a bloom also found in the jungles of West Sumatra several years ago.

"This is the largest Rafflesia tuan-mudae that has ever been documented," said Ade Putra at the Agam Conservation Agency in Sumatra.

The flower's bloom will only last about one week before it will wither and rot, he added.

https://phys.org/news/2020-01-biggest-bloom-world-largest-indonesia.html

• Like 7

Kittens Are Jerks

Imagine getting a bouquet of those! Aside from having to empty out a room to accomoodate it, the stench would be unbearable.

But the bloom is really beautiful in a sci-fi kind of way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Piney
8 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

But the bloom is really beautiful in a sci-fi kind of way.

It looks like it would eat someones face off. :yes:

• Like 6

susieice

Little Shop of Horrors

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Troublehalf
Posted (edited)

Always wondered if Sir Stamford Raffles was proud or insulted to have such a flower named after him. I don't know the history of the flower, just makes me wonder if the 'discoverer' who was able to classify such a thing (rather than the natives who probably had a different name for it) smelled the flower and decided to name it after Sir Raffles, or did it without actually smelling it and thought he was being respectful to the Lieutenant-Governor of the Dutch East Indies (and the title always made me chuckle since the British were trying to kick the Dutch out of the East Indies and technically the island was French due to French annexation of Kingdom of Holland... but that's off-topic).

Edited by Troublehalf
  • Like 1

Nnicolette

Look at the size of that vileplume!

Ozfactor

I bet it stinks. I have 2 stapelia succulents and both have awful smelling flowers that attract flies. 

I have seen a titan arum lily in flower at the Melbourne Botanical Gardens and it smelt so bad , like something had died. The titan arum lily I saw was about 6 or 7 feet tall, floweres for 3 days and then collapses. 

16195553_10212006021404474_3323117898256116540_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nnicolette
12 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

I bet it stinks. I have 2 stapelia succulents and both have awful smelling flowers that attract flies. 

I have seen a titan arum lily in flower at the Melbourne Botanical Gardens and it smelt so bad , like something had died. The titan arum lily I saw was about 6 or 7 feet tall, floweres for 3 days and then collapses. 

16195553_10212006021404474_3323117898256116540_n.jpg

That is awesome i love ypur flower! I was thinking the same, it looks like one i heard of before that mimicks rotting flesh and smells like it too...

• Like 1