Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anyone ever experience emg test?

Bed of chaos

I'm supposed to have an emg test done in couple days. I dont deal with pain very well (especially injections). The comments I've seen online appear very disturbing. Things like "worse than giving birth" "worst pain of my life" and "two hours of excruciating pain/all over body". Actually about 70% of the comments were like this (two different sites). Anyone been down this road? I might cancel.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Sad 2

if you want to be treated for something, I guess they need a diagnosis. Sounds a bit of an ordeal though. What is the condition, and what would be the treatment for it ?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Habitat said:

if you want to be treated for something, I guess they need a diagnosis. Sounds a bit of an ordeal though. What is the condition, and what would be the treatment for it ?

It's for chronic lower back pain, disk protrusions, stenosis (before I meet with neurosurgeon, possible surgery) Test checks the health of the muscles (and nerves). Supposedly two part test. 1) small electric shocks in different places 2) very fine needles inserted into different muscles. I'm still investigating procedure. One woman mentioned the needles were foot and half long and if anyone just uses term 'uncomfortable' they're lying worse than a politician.

Edited by Bed of chaos

I have yet to hear of anyone with chronic lower back pain saying they got "cured". Do you do some kind of physical work or activity that puts a strain on the back  ?

35 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I have yet to hear of anyone with chronic lower back pain saying they got "cured". Do you do some kind of physical work or activity that puts a strain on the back  ?

I previously had hernia operation. Soon after that (along w working/standing 10hrs a day) pain got really bad. In/out of emergency room numerous times. Not just back. Horrible neuropathy in feet (feeling like on fire) along w weird spasms in legs and back. Also mysterious shocks around pelvic area. Neurosurgeon told me to explore pain management for about two years (pt/injections/pills) which I've been doing. Along with seeing pain management clinic. Actually my aunt had surgery for chronic lower back pain and told me it helped significantly. I'm on number of different pain meds and the effing pain rarely goes away! Anyway,  I'm meeting neurosurgeon at end of month so will get more answers soon.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Sad 3

Sounds like you are used to pain !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bed of chaos said:

I'm supposed to have an emg test done in couple days. I dont deal with pain very well (especially injections). The comments I've seen online appear very disturbing. Things like "worse than giving birth" "worst pain of my life" and "two hours of excruciating pain/all over body". Actually about 70% of the comments were like this (two different sites). Anyone been down this road? I might cancel.

I've heard folks say they were unpleasant but I've not heard any drastic stories of pain.  Nerve conduction tests are crucial to pinpoint the cause for chronic pain so if that's the issue you're having, I guess you have to decide which is worse.  Just remember that you have an ABSOLUTE RIGHT to tell them to stop the procedure at any point.

• Like 3

My Son has undergone a couple of them since having a very nasty accident earlier this year. He was trapped in some machinery and severed most of the muscles in his left thigh and damaged his spine.

I sat through the first lot of tests and mostly they were fine. The final test they did was quite uncomfortable for him but the Dr in charge was wonderful and really good at her job. He was prepared and cared for to the highest standards.

I hope your tests go well.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, and then said:

I've heard folks say they were unpleasant but I've not heard any drastic stories of pain.  Nerve conduction tests are crucial to pinpoint the cause for chronic pain so if that's the issue you're having, I guess you have to decide which is worse.  Just remember that you have an ABSOLUTE RIGHT to tell them to stop the procedure at any point.

Well I'm seeing plenty of drastic stories (last 2 hours) but you are right. Its crucial to determine what's going on (pinch nerves, neuropathies). Anyway thanks for feedback. Will revisit tomorrow (it's very late).

• Like 1

Yeah, if you have nerve pain, it can hurt, as it sends slight impulses through the nerves to ID which are affected. My test left me in tears, however it was to the point of specific info the neuro folks had to know to help me and the pain was not worse than the damage was most of the time. Undamaged nerves did not hurt, the damaged ones did in my case. He used a needle I never saw and asked me when it hurt. Heh, mostly I had no idea he was poking me as I was numb due to the damage.

Don't worry about the hysterics about the needles. Afterwards, I could not point to a single puncture and there was no pain after the test as if I had literally been pin cushioned.

Mine took about 30 minutes and was necessary to diagnose and determine exactly what was going on for them.

Do it, for your sake, and do not let those cretins play whatever game they are to fear monger. Nerve pain is terrible so yeah, sometimes so is helping it. If they numb it all for you how will they know? 

You can do it, and afterwards you will know it was only about as bad as your need for it was. The pain backed way off soon as it was over, as well.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Bed of chaos said:

One of my grandmothers had it done and yes, it was painful. She was also sore for a few days following the procedure.

But don't cancel it if will help you in the long run. 

• Like 1

I had an EMG years ago but the scope of it was limited to my hand. It was mostly uncomfortable rather than painful but that's probably due to the nerve damage / numbness I was experiencing. 

5 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Do it, for your sake, and do not let those cretins play whatever game they are to fear monger. Nerve pain is terrible so yeah, sometimes so is helping it. If they numb it all for you how will they know? 

You can do it, and afterwards you will know it was only about as bad as your need for it was. The pain backed way off soon as it was over, as well.

^ That's very good advice. 

Good luck @Bed of chaos

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

She was also sore for a few days following the procedure.

Sore, yes, but for me not the anguish it as for the duration of the test. That stopped promptly once the test was done, so OP, you can do this - be in the pain you are used to when it is aggravated for about 30, so they can ID exactly which nerves are pinched, or damaged or enflamed or dead. It is very needful info for your neurologists. I was sore when it was over, but, then, you know how it is, some of us live sore most of the time lol. It is just a thing for a few folks :/ 

When the lady wants us to go to the Mall I calculate … how much do I want to pay in pain and when … before I answer her and when I say we are done, we are. That is the deal. 

10 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Sore, yes, but for me not the anguish it as for the duration of the test. That stopped promptly once the test was done, so OP, you can do this - be in the pain you are used to when it is aggravated for about 30, so they can ID exactly which nerves are pinched, or damaged or enflamed or dead. It is very needful info for your neurologists. I was sore when it was over, but, then, you know how it is, some of us live sore most of the time lol. It is just a thing for a few folks :/ 

When the lady wants us to go to the Mall I calculate … how much do I want to pay in pain and when … before I answer her and when I say we are done, we are. That is the deal. 

Most people have a propensity to exaggerate pain. That papercut felt like a thousand elephants stomped on my pinkie! kind of thing. Add to that the fact that we all have different pain thresholds. Some can deal with the pain of a thousand elephants, others can't deal with the pain of one. But I agree that any procedure related pain should be weighed against ongoing, potentially delbilitating, pain. And if the first can fix the latter, better to go for the temporary discomfort rather than endure the long-term version of it.

• Like 1

Yeah, and I didn't check out comments before my test so did not know there were people making claims like that either lol. It depends what the damage is really causing, too. Mine threatened to end my career at the cop shop, and I had family depending on my income, so I took the test and did what I could to try to fend off the inevitable. Other people have different situations and reasons for the test. It was not fun, but, I only needed it once thankfully, for them to verify what they needed to and was strong and in good health otherwise.

You made me laugh as when I first heard this I imagined a waiting room of people all trying to one up each other with who was hurting the most, then told myself I was being mean... well, maybe so, but, that's what I thought of :D 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Yeah, and I didn't check out comments before my test so did not know there were people making claims like that either lol. It depends what the damage is really causing, too. Mine threatened to end my career at the cop shop, and I had family depending on my income, so I took the test and did what I could to try to fend off the inevitable. Other people have different situations and reasons for the test. It was not fun, but, I only needed it once thankfully, for them to verify what they needed to and was strong and in good health otherwise.

You made me laugh as when I first heard this I imagined a waiting room of people all trying to one up each other with who was hurting the most, then told myself I was being mean... well, maybe so, but, that's what I thought of :D 

Agreed. I'm assuming it depends on pain threshold along w how much damage is already done to nerves. I tell myself just let it be. Other family members (and users) have it worse than me (health issues). However some of the comments (hammerclaws link above) literally scared the hell out of me. I'll go and deal with situation the best I can.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bed of chaos said:

Agreed. I'm assuming it depends on pain threshold along w how much damage is already done to nerves. I tell myself just let it be. Other family members (and users) have it worse than me (health issues). However some of the comments (hammerclaws link above) literally scared the hell out of me. I'll go and deal with situation the best I can.

Come back after, and tell us how it was. You don't go alone, we will walk with you in spirit :) 

You can do this. Hoo ahh and all that :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update. Unfortunately, I couldnt hack it. Specifically the first part of test. They put the stickers to administer electroshocks on lower right leg (which wasn't too bad-after 2-3 jolts). However when hit continuously, I just couldn't handle it. After fighting with receptionist/hospital/insurance they agreed to schedule MRI instead (very happy). Especially since I was told 2hrs hrs earlier 'this (emg) needs to be done before surgery'. Anyway sorry to waste anyone's time and thanks again for feedback.

Edited by Bed of chaos