Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Segway: new self-balancing vehicle you sit in

Still Waters

Who needs to stand on a self-balancing personal vehicle when you can sit in one?

That's what Segway-Ninebot must be thinking as they gear up to unveil its S-Pod prototype at the Consumer Electronics Show next week. The days-long technology conference is held annually in Las Vegas. 

Segway's self-balancing vehicle, which according to the company can go as fast as 24.8 miles per hour, weighs 330.7 pounds and can travel 43.5 miles before needing a recharge.

https://interestingengineering.com/segway-unveils-self-balancing-vehicle-you-sit-in

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Looks like a very large baby car seat. 

I think i would rather a mobility scooter than than strange over sized baby carrier.

• Like 1

Yes, basically they've reinvented the Bath Chair. Perhaps one of the silliest and most unsafe ideas I've seen for a while. Does it have seatbelts? What happens if you brake suddenly? 

• Like 2

I remember when the classic segway you stand on was new..
We had a company party and they had hired segways for us and had some competions..
The combination of alcohol, segway, winner instinct and some good old male testosteron was a disaster.
At the end of the evening I think all of us had bruises on our hands.
And I think it will go to history for the worst company party ever because three ambulances were summoned.
One for a coworker who broke his ankle one for a coworker who broke his wrist and one for a coworker who broke 3 ribs..

• Haha 2

I'm still trying to work out how Segways work!  It's something to do with inverted pendulums.

I notice that in the article they haven't included a video of someone using the daft thing. In fact, there isn't even a photo of someone sitting in one.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

I notice that in the article they haven't included a video of someone using the daft thing. In fact, there isn't even a photo of someone sitting in one.

Maybe it's still in the Crap Design stage.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, likwidlite said:

Anyone seen Walli? 

Exactly my thoughts, that looks just like those chairs from Wall-e.

2 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Yes, basically they've reinvented the Bath Chair. Perhaps one of the silliest and most unsafe ideas I've seen for a while. Does it have seatbelts? What happens if you brake suddenly? 

It does not go fast enough for a sudden break and if you are lucky you may just make it to Morrisons and back without a recharge. 

Just do not go round the countryside in it, you may find youself holding up the cows.

Jeremy Clarkson will do the right things with it.

• Haha 1

Just put a little shopping cart type front wheel on the front and back and be done with it, no need for all the balancing software and expensive electronics.

Edited by moonman

Yeah but is the  electric cord 43.5 miles long ;-) 

• Haha 1