Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has anyone here received a Ghost phone call?

Grim Reaper 6

Over the last few days my wife has been reviving phone calls from a number in Chicago, and we are in Washington State. It has happened around 7 times, and when she answers the phone no one is there. So I tried calling back the number, and received the following message, ( The number you have called is no longer in service ) I did some searches online and have not had any success figuring this out. But I did fine many other who are experiencing this same problem. If anyone knows the answer to this problem please let me know. The phone number that keeps calling is 1-312-951-1276. Now I don't believe in ghosts so there must be an.explaination for this, again any help would be appreaciated.

peace

Hundreds have received calls from that number. If you do a search you will see that it has been reported numerous times as a possible telemarketer/scam caller. It is not unusual when calling such numbers back to get a 'no longer in service' message, nor is it unusual not to hear anything when answering.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

We get similar calls here in England.

A google search on Who called me, pop the number in and you will find it is  (as Kittens are Jerks has mentioned) telemarketing or a scammer.

• Like 4

I have heard some fascinating ghost call stories with the actual dead person talking or leaving messages. In your case I am a long way from thinking paranormal.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Over the last few days my wife has been reviving phone calls from a number in Chicago, and we are in Washington State. It has happened around 7 times, and when she answers the phone no one is there. So I tried calling back the number, and received the following message, ( The number you have called is no longer in service ) I did some searches online and have not had any success figuring this out. But I did fine many other who are experiencing this same problem. If anyone knows the answer to this problem please let me know. The phone number that keeps calling is 1-312-951-1276. Now I don't believe in ghosts so there must be an.explaination for this, again any help would be appreaciated.

peace

Yes, it is a telemarketer, I had to block it.

What happens sometimes is that these calls go out at the same time to a bunch of residential and business numbers, as soon as the first person answers the other lines are dropped.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jujo-jo said:

Yes, it is a telemarketer, I had to block it.

What happens sometimes is that these calls go out at the same time to a bunch of residential and business numbers, as soon as the first person answers the other lines are dropped.

I could understand that but when I called back it said the line was not in service. If it was telemarketer, it would have been busy.

peace

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I have heard some fascinating ghost call stories with the actual dead person talking or leaving messages. In your case I am a long way from thinking paranormal.

Yea know you know I don't Belen enough in ghosts.

3 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Hundreds have received calls from that number. If you do a search you will see that it has been reported numerous times as a possible telemarketer/scam caller. It is not unusual when calling such numbers back to get a 'no longer in service' message, nor is it unusual not to hear anything when answering.

Thanks that solves the problem, I am just going to block it.

peace

• Like 3

Thanks everyone.

peace.

• Like 1

I received a ghost phone call once from a girl I dated until she broke up with me...I'm still waiting for the phone call though...but...I know she called...I just know it...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

lmao

Yep ok this was really freaky! Just now I was thinking to myself get up and go do the damn dishes, ignored my pleas to get up off my a$$ (continuing on reading posts here..) then phone at that same time rang, I said hello at the same time the other voice on the other end said hello, I swear it was my voice! I was shocked and couldnt seem to get any words out just when I'm about ready to the phone just went dead! WT_! (It was from a number I did not recognize!) 

Maybe there is something there Manwon Lender lol

Edited by Jujo-jo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With all the automation, scam/robo calls, and tech errors that happen with the modern telephone system, I will never understand why anyone would jump to "ghosts" as the answer to something like this.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I could understand that but when I called back it said the line was not in service. If it was telemarketer, it would have been busy.

peace

Could be another stunt. Some fraud companies use that pattern, means to (automatically) call a number and hang off after the first ring, then the call receiver calls back the number which is often a chargeable telephone number.

Also telemarketing companies perform the one-ring thing to clean up their databases.

I`ve checked your number and found this: Who called you from 3129511276 ?

Hell, I love my phone-number-blocker App!

• Thanks 1

Probably a pranksta

• 3 months later...

Mum received 16 missed calls from my dead uncles home phone 2 days before the anniversary of his death 1 year ago. Mum rang his widow the next day and she swears it wasn't her. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 3:11 PM, papageorge1 said:

My dad passed 2014 however call his home number, yeah he still has a land line, let it ring and my dad will answer and explain that there are no one there to receive the call at that time,

Very spooky, no possible prosaic explanation

• Thanks 1

Yeah, we receive at least one each day and it start to driving me nuts. I'm working hard on new type of insult for scam phone calls... 

• 2 weeks later...

The reason that calling the number back doe snot work is that the telemarker/scammer is spoofing the caller ID. That means that the information sent with the attempt to connect a phone call is not necessarily the correct number. Spooking allows the scammer or telemarketer to be unreportable should someone decide to alert the FTC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

This is often used to connect to people by using a spoofed phone number that is local to your phone. You are more likely to accept a call form someone in your area than an out of town phone number. Makes blocking calls hard if the spoofing changes with each call.

On 1/6/2020 at 6:05 AM, Manwon Lender said:

peace

There is a scam where a number will call but hang up after one or two rings. This is because they rely on you calling the number back, as they receive a payment from your phone provider each time this happens. You won't usually get anyone at the other end to talk to though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Horta said:

There is a scam where a number will call but hang up after one or two rings. This is because they rely on you calling the number back, as they receive a payment from your phone provider each time this happens. You won't usually get anyone at the other end to talk to though. 

Thanks for the update, at the time this was occurring, we were using Sprint 5G nation wide..

Peace man.

Yes I had a strange phone call in the early morning,, around 02.30.

I had a new handy, and the SIM card was in the new one. 

My old handy was on a little table not far away from my bed. 

So normally, when the Sim card is out, there is not possible to call me.  But, it Rang, it was ringing and ringing, first I thought it was my alarm clock with a different sound.. Then I saw my old handy was lightened up ant it was that handy who Rang. I had no glasses on to see what it was for number who called me. When I finally answered, there were nobody. I tried to find out in the handy who called at least, but nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Pink sand said:

Yes I had a strange phone call in the early morning,, around 02.30.

I had a new handy, and the SIM card was in the new one. 

My old handy was on a little table not far away from my bed. 

So normally, when the Sim card is out, there is not possible to call me.  But, it Rang, it was ringing and ringing, first I thought it was my alarm clock with a different sound.. Then I saw my old handy was lightened up ant it was that handy who Rang. I had no glasses on to see what it was for number who called me. When I finally answered, there were nobody. I tried to find out in the handy who called at least, but nothing. 

Have you tried putting the number in a search engine? I do that a lot with spam callers. Just to find out who's calling.

Search engine? Normally the phone could not work, as I had a new handy which I already inserted the phone card in my new handy. It was my old handy WITHOUT CONNECTION who Rang. Sorry my bad English.. 

It's like using a toy handy without connection, I mean it was a real handy but no connection. I had a new since around 2 weeks when this happened. 

Edited by Pink sand
More info

1 minute ago, Pink sand said:

Search engine? Normally the phone could not work, as I had a new handy which I already inserted the phone card in my new handy. It was my old handy WITHOUT CONNECTION who Rang. Sorry my bad English.. 

No problem. If you put a phone number into a search engine (like google) it will sometimes tell you who called or if they're a spam caller.