Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Discussion on PTSD

Jujo-jo

I don't have this, but what do you see as the cause, in your case ? 

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I don't have this, but what do you see as the cause, in your case ? 

The traumatic events that was the cause of my case.

It's not something you can just will away.

It's not something that you can justify as mind over matter.

It's a case of momentary, debilitating effects. 

I generally control this very well, I still work and most weeks with over time included but...

My last event hit me, due to a trigger and it effected me for 2 days, this is out of the ordinary for me. 

• Like 4

OK, I sense that you don't want to elaborate on the "events" . Has counselling helped you ?

6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

OK, I sense that you don't want to elaborate on the "events" . Has counselling helped you ?

I guess it has in the past but I have a new therapist now, she is very young and I honestly think she has been more harmful lately then good. 

I was traumatized for 14 yrs. When I finally was able to distance myself from the situation before having time to heal, I was held captive for 4 mos. beaten, drugged and often times held at knives point, a couple of times restrained at gun point was told repeatedly daily that what was going to happen to my body, my abductor is dead now.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

I would say try another therapist if you are not making any progress, are you well able to afford this treatment ? You would think if you find someone who is making improvement for you, the more the merrier. What about medication, has that helped any ?

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

I would say try another therapist if you are not making any progress, are you well able to afford this treatment ? You would think if you find someone who is making improvement for you, the more the merrier.

Ok well thanks that is good advice.

I am upset with my recent down time, pretty disappointed in myself that I couldn't break its grip quicker and I never want my employees or husband to see this! Unfortunately 2 of my employees saw that I was sick vomiting last week and poor husband has had two strokes and doesn't cook anymore. 

So it's best for me to not get down to begin with but sometimes it's out of my control.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jujo-jo said:

pretty disappointed in myself

I'd keep the self-flagellation down to a restrained level ! We are not automatons, and the exercise of will power has its limits. And as we know, things do go in cycles, whenever I go to a doctor, which isn't that often, and query why some ailment has flared up again, as I can't think of anything that might have triggered it, they don't show much interest in understanding that, only with dealing with the symptoms that present, so in your case, not much use fretting over any relapses. It will likely only make the symptoms worse.

• Like 2

I'd keep the self-flagellation down to a restrained level ! We are not automatons, and the exercise of will power has its limits. And as we know, things do go in cycles, whenever I go to a doctor, which isn't that often, and query why some ailment has flared up again, as I can't think of anything that might have triggered it, they don't show much interest in understanding that, only with dealing with the symptoms that present, so in your case, not much use fretting over any relapses. It will likely only make the symptoms worse.

Agreed, I understand thank you, at the same time talking about it when you can and sharing ideas with others who do experience this, on how to dust yourself off quicker, I would think would also be therapy in itself.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jujo-jo said:

I am a long time victim of PTSD and seeking others to discuss the topic...

I think it could be beneficial to learn from one another on how each of us cope and deal with this disorder. 

I also think it may be a good source of support for one another; if any one should ever feel the need for support.

It's not something I can bring myself to talk about with my closest family or friends.

Triggers and feelings that I have after an episode, (especially if it has happened in front of someone) I am seeking enlightenment on.

I currently use meditation, music, essential oils, aromatherapy and sticker dates plastered on the vehicle windows, fridge and mirrors, to remind me of today and of the year.

I have and occasionally still seek counsel, most likely that will be an on again, off again event for me.

I appreciate you and your courage of any one willing to participate. 

thinking there is something supernatural/ weird & out of this world going on will not help you- because this ridiculous crap is not real (I'm assuming you feel it's possible hence posting in here) ? If I'm wrong then my apologies 

just my opinion;)

peace.

dej...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

because this ridiculous crap

huh ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

thinking there is something supernatural/ weird & out of this world going on will not help you- because this ridiculous crap is not real (I'm assuming you feel it's possible hence posting in here) ? If I'm wrong then my apologies 

just my opinion;)

peace.

dej...

I'm not sure what you are saying.

Other than you've read some of my replies to topics on UFO's, aliens and other supernatural subjects and you feel by me believing in those things, you think it makes my PTSD worse?

Or you dont think PTSD is a real condition? 

I posted in here under experiences... I am experiencing difficulties lately with my PTSD, where else should I have posted it?

So you dont feel it's possible? Aren't you posting on here?

You've confused me, I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from so that I'm not misunderstanding you.

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

just my opinion;)

peace.

dej...

Do you have PTSD?

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Jujo-jo said:

Other than you've read some of my replies to topics on UFO's, aliens and other supernatural subjects and you feel by me believing in those things, you think it makes my PTSD worse?

I posted in here under experiences... I am experiencing difficulties lately with my PTSD, where else should I have posted it?

You've confused me, I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from so that I'm not misunderstanding you.

in that case you're confusing me.... You do know what this place talks about? The name of this place is a bit of a give away

Do you have PTSD?

no, but my wife suffered severely with it 20 years ago= history now, thanks to clever, dedicated doctors, etc 

first you need to be honest= with me/ with everyone else & of course- yourself... Otherwise you'll get nowhere.

So I'll ask again:

why are you asking in this place?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

no, but my wife suffered severely with it 20 years ago= history now, thanks to clever, dedicated doctors, etc 

first you need to be honest= with me/ with everyone else & of course- yourself... Otherwise you'll get nowhere.

So I'll ask again:

why are you asking in this place?

It is a mystery to me of why I can't overcome it completely for one.

I want to understand triggers because even though i seek therapy I am not finding out these answers to my questions. Only someone who experiences it can understand it better than anyone with a degree who has not.

Also I know what methods I take to deal and cope with this but if there is something better out there or more that I could be doing than those things are also a mystery to me.

PTSD alone is mysterious and can be a creepy, lurking debilitating condition.

I dont think it's out of line to start a topic on the subject, on a site called unexplained mysteries amongst my site members, who may be also looking to exchange ideas and thoughts on the subject who may also just be looking for a friend to discuss such a topics with.

• Like 2

She's looking to hear how others cope, jarmy !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

It is a mystery to me of why I can't overcome it completely for one.

I want to understand triggers because even though i seek therapy I am not finding out these answers to my questions. Only someone who experiences it can understand it better than anyone with a degree who has not.

Also I know what methods I take to deal and cope with this but if there is something better out there or more that I could be doing than those things are also a mystery to me.

PTSD alone is mysterious and can be a creepy, lurking debilitating condition.

I dont think it's out of line to start a topic on the subject, on a site called unexplained mysteries amongst my site members, who may be also looking to exchange ideas and thoughts on the subject who may also just be looking for a friend to discuss such a topics with.

you still haven't really answered the question, but no worries.. i'll leave it

peace.

dej...

24 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

in that case you're confusing me.... You do know what this place talks about? The name of this place is a bit of a give away

I have watched and been reading posts on this site for the last 4 months before I deciding to join recently, I have seen all kinds of topics that haven't been related to the name. 

So what is the problem?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She's looking to hear how others cope, jarmy !

deeer i get that - but why in here? it's a simple question or am i stupid do you think?

a pointless analogy if I may:

you have a car problem you're sure is mechanical== then why would you ask in a car electrics forum?;)

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

You missed a few of my questions?

3 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

deeer i get that - but why in here? it's a simple question or am i stupid do you think?

a pointless analogy if I may:

you have a car problem you're sure is mechanical== then why would you ask in a car electrics forum?;)

That may be the thing jarmy, she doesn't know why she is "relapsing", and would like to hear from others with similar experience, which seems fair enough to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Jujo-jo said:

So what is the problem?

do you feel it's possible your condition (because it's a mystery to you) may have some kinda supernatural/ strange/ unknown influence? Yes or no? It's a simple question.......

41 minutes ago, Jujo-jo said:

I think @Dejarma is asking why this was posted on the particular part of the forum. This is usually where people talk about ghosts, hauntings, weird experiences, etc.. Perhaps a mod can move this to a more suitable place on the forums. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@SectretSanta yeah thanks.. maybe i'm not that stupid after all.. it's either that or you're stupid as well;)

Edited by Dejarma
  • Haha 2