Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cat lovers less likely to go to church, study

Still Waters

Church-goers are less likely to own a cat than atheists - partly because some of the latter see cats as a "god substitute", according to research.

Owning a pet is said to replicate some of the benefits of joining a faith community, and while cats are "pretty low-maintenance, we end up serving them a lot", an American academic has pointed out.

A study of more than 2,000 people in the United States found that those who never set foot in a place of worship own two pets on average, while faithful worshippers have 1.4.

https://news.sky.com/story/cat-lovers-less-likely-to-go-to-church-research-suggests-11902123

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

:rolleyes: Look on the bright side, these researchers could be doing something worthwhile with their time 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

faithful worshippers have 1.4.

What have they done with the other 0.6 of a cat? 

• Haha 5

I don't go to church because I forget my parish has mass  at 5:30Pm on Saturdays, and I sometimes at my second job have to work either 2 to 10 Pm, or don't get out on a Saturday till 5PM, depending on my schedule, same goes for Sundays too.I love cats, but they are hardly 'god 'like to me I love my cat Joe, just one of God's many creatures. I also like birds, dogs,etc.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Wistman said:

My god substitute has sharp claws.  I serve him out of fear.  :passifier:

Damn right!

kGfoq.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

:rolleyes: Look on the bright side, these researchers could be doing something worthwhile with their time 

The study was funded by the pet food industry. As they now know faithful worshippers to have 1.4. cats, supermarkets and pet food stores near to chuches will now offer a new kind of packaging units ("This can with tasty Chihuahua taste cat food will saturate your 1.4 cats for 2 days").

• Haha 1

I have owned cats and I will say this study does not speak for me.