Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would Jesus condone corporal punishment?

Sherapy

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

College campus does reflect society at large and some need safe spaces to feel comfortable. I don’t see it as an issue or the end of differ opinions. 

What do you mean by safe? Safe from what? 

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It will on campus if it's the whole campus  A lot of college campuses have become ideological Orwellian totalitarian states where only "right thinking" "right speaking" are tolerated. 

According to a Professor friend  of mine who I have spoken to extensively in this topic, we are a long way from this. Lol

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

What do you mean by safe? Safe from what? 

Safe from being attacked or belittled for being vulnerable or uncomfortable with entertaining or challenging new ideas, mainly  ones own.

5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

According to a Professor friend  of mine who I have spoken to extensively in this topic, we are a long way from this. Lol

That's sort of like Priest denying pedophilia in the clergy is much of a problem.

https://news.yale.edu/2016/03/02/free-speech-threatened-college-campuses-audience-casts-its-vote

10 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

That's fine with me, my point was simple this thread has changed, and if you are ok with that I won't argue with you it's your right. I was just surprised the direct this thread had taken since my last post to it. I meant no offence, to you or anyone else.

peace

Your opinion is welcome here. 

• Like 1

Safe from being attacked or belittled for being vulnerable or uncomfortable with entertaining or challenging new ideas, mainly  ones own.

So, the answer is to suppress other people's free speech and the ability to honestly and openly state an opinion?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

So, the answer is to suppress other people's free speech and the ability to honestly and openly state an opinion?

No, you create a safe place, to make sure all students are made to feel welcome. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

No, you create a safe place. :P

For some, that's the whole campus. Speakers are denied entry, even though invited because their ideology is offensive to a vocal minority.

12 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Exactly how do you create this space without suppressing other people's free speech and the ability to honestly and openly state an opinion?

For some, that's the whole campus. Speakers are denied entry, even though invited because their ideology is offensive to a vocal minority.

I think free speech serves us when it is guided with integrity and comes with personal accountability and responsibility.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

People with commonly agreed upon societal norms tend to organize together. I assume you dont have a problem with a Christian university having standards for the behavior of staff, students and guests, theyve been doing it for generations.  So have secular Universities in a variety of ways. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Thanks 2

I think free speech serves us when it is guided with integrity and comes with personal accountability and responsibility.

Accountable to whom? The Dean or Student Council; Who put them in charge? Is that what college has become, a glorified High School for immature adults?

7 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Exactly how do you create this space without suppressing other people's free speech and the ability to honestly and openly state an opinion?

For ex?

4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

People with commonly agreed upon societal norms tend to organize together. I assume you dont have a problem with a Christian university having standards for the behavior of staff, students and guests, theyve been doing it for generations.  So have secular Universities in a variety of ways. 

You guys certainly have a problem with them. Most of those are private. Publicly funded colleges and universities are not. 

Just now, Sherapy said:

For ex?

How are you going to stop people from hurting feelings, questioning ideas in this "safe place"? 

9 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Accountable to whom? The Dean or Student Council; Who put them in charge? Is that what college has become, a glorified High School for immature adults?

To oneself, that your opinion is mindful and inclusive and sensitive to the group at large. 

For ex: I wouldn’t go into a church with an atheistic agenda. Yet, I could go into a church as an atheist, my boss is staunch republican and while I am a democrat in their home or safe space I am mindful of this.  

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

You guys certainly have a problem with them. Most of those are private. Publicly funded colleges and universities are not. 

While Im not a fan of current mainstream Christianity in general I dont have a problem with Christian universities, in fact they just make sense. So do more conservative ones.   The point I was making is that people have choices. The Conservative crying about the culture at Cal Berkely is no different than a gay person would be for crying about culture at Liberty University.

To oneself, that your opinion is mindful and inclusive and sensitive to the group at large. 

For ex: I wouldn’t go into a church with an atheistic agenda. Yet, I could go into a church as an atheist, my boss is staunch republican and while I am a democrat in their home or space I am mindful of this.  

Obfuscation. It's given that private institutions can set their own rules. How are do we create "Safe spaces"
 on public campuses with a mixed polyglot student body? 

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

How are you going to stop people from hurting feelings, questioning ideas in this "safe place"? 

You would teach diplomacy. Some require a lot of it and some don’t. 

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

While Im not a fan of current mainstream Christianity in general I dont have a problem with Christian universities, in fact they just make sense. So do more conservative ones.   The point I was making is that people have choices. The Conservative crying about the culture at Cal Berkely is no different than a gay person would be for crying about culture at Liberty University.

Liberty is a private school--Cal Berkley is not, so it's not the same thing.

10 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

My son attended a Christian University. He had to deal with the group think. His Philosophy teacher became his safe place, and in doing so changed his whole experience to one of value and growth. 

Basically he found someone to take to that was sensitive to his needs. It took one person. 
 To me, this is what a safe place is representative of.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

You would teach diplomacy. Some require a lot of it and some don’t. 

So, they must be indoctrinated in "proper" campus etiquette and forego traditional American values of freedom of speech and expression. Sounds pretty Orwellian to me. 

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Liberty is a private school--Cal Berkley is not, so it's not the same thing.

If you were talking about censorship of classic conservative political ideas I would agree with you. Ensuring a quality environment for both education and mental health however is not that. 

So, they must be indoctrinated in "proper" campus etiquette and forego traditional American values of freedom of speech and expression. Sounds pretty Orwellian to me. 

The problem is the right has largely forgotten the companion values that go along with them: Respect and responsibility. Until recently those have always been traditional American values as well.

Its not Orwellian its called being a decent human being.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

If you were talking about censorship of classic conservative political ideas I would agree with you. Ensuring a quality environment for both education and mental health however is not that. 

Yes and there's rub. Who gets to define what a "quality environment" is and how much suppression and exclusion is required to achieve it? College should be for education, not a social experiment.