Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sherapy

Would Jesus condone corporal punishment?

643 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hammerclaw
1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

College campus does reflect society at large and some need safe spaces to feel comfortable. I don’t see it as an issue or the end of differ opinions. 

What do you mean by safe? Safe from what? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It will on campus if it's the whole campus  A lot of college campuses have become ideological Orwellian totalitarian states where only "right thinking" "right speaking" are tolerated. 

According to a Professor friend  of mine who I have spoken to extensively in this topic, we are a long way from this. Lol


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

What do you mean by safe? Safe from what? 

Safe from being attacked or belittled for being vulnerable or uncomfortable with entertaining or challenging new ideas, mainly  ones own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

According to a Professor friend  of mine who I have spoken to extensively in this topic, we are a long way from this. Lol


 

 

That's sort of like Priest denying pedophilia in the clergy is much of a problem.

https://news.yale.edu/2016/03/02/free-speech-threatened-college-campuses-audience-casts-its-vote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
10 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

That's fine with me, my point was simple this thread has changed, and if you are ok with that I won't argue with you it's your right. I was just surprised the direct this thread had taken since my last post to it. I meant no offence, to you or anyone else.

peace

Your opinion is welcome here. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Safe from being attacked or belittled for being vulnerable or uncomfortable with entertaining or challenging new ideas, mainly  ones own.

So, the answer is to suppress other people's free speech and the ability to honestly and openly state an opinion?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
6 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

So, the answer is to suppress other people's free speech and the ability to honestly and openly state an opinion?

No, you create a safe place, to make sure all students are made to feel welcome. 

 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

No, you create a safe place. :P

For some, that's the whole campus. Speakers are denied entry, even though invited because their ideology is offensive to a vocal minority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
12 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Safe from being attacked or belittled for being vulnerable or uncomfortable with entertaining or challenging new ideas, mainly  ones own.

Exactly how do you create this space without suppressing other people's free speech and the ability to honestly and openly state an opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

For some, that's the whole campus. Speakers are denied entry, even though invited because their ideology is offensive to a vocal minority.

I think free speech serves us when it is guided with integrity and comes with personal accountability and responsibility.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
7 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

For some, that's the whole campus. Speakers are denied entry, even though invited because their ideology is offensive to a vocal minority.

People with commonly agreed upon societal norms tend to organize together. I assume you dont have a problem with a Christian university having standards for the behavior of staff, students and guests, theyve been doing it for generations.  So have secular Universities in a variety of ways. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

I think free speech serves us when it is guided with integrity and comes with personal accountability and responsibility.

 

 

Accountable to whom? The Dean or Student Council; Who put them in charge? Is that what college has become, a glorified High School for immature adults?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
7 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Exactly how do you create this space without suppressing other people's free speech and the ability to honestly and openly state an opinion?

For ex?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

People with commonly agreed upon societal norms tend to organize together. I assume you dont have a problem with a Christian university having standards for the behavior of staff, students and guests, theyve been doing it for generations.  So have secular Universities in a variety of ways. 

You guys certainly have a problem with them. Most of those are private. Publicly funded colleges and universities are not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
Just now, Sherapy said:

For ex?

How are you going to stop people from hurting feelings, questioning ideas in this "safe place"? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
9 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Accountable to whom? The Dean or Student Council; Who put them in charge? Is that what college has become, a glorified High School for immature adults?

To oneself, that your opinion is mindful and inclusive and sensitive to the group at large. 
 

For ex: I wouldn’t go into a church with an atheistic agenda. Yet, I could go into a church as an atheist, my boss is staunch republican and while I am a democrat in their home or safe space I am mindful of this.  
 

 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
Just now, Hammerclaw said:

You guys certainly have a problem with them. Most of those are private. Publicly funded colleges and universities are not. 

While Im not a fan of current mainstream Christianity in general I dont have a problem with Christian universities, in fact they just make sense. So do more conservative ones.   The point I was making is that people have choices. The Conservative crying about the culture at Cal Berkely is no different than a gay person would be for crying about culture at Liberty University.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

To oneself, that your opinion is mindful and inclusive and sensitive to the group at large. 
 

For ex: I wouldn’t go into a church with an atheistic agenda. Yet, I could go into a church as an atheist, my boss is staunch republican and while I am a democrat in their home or space I am mindful of this.  

Obfuscation. It's given that private institutions can set their own rules. How are do we create "Safe spaces"
 on public campuses with a mixed polyglot student body? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

How are you going to stop people from hurting feelings, questioning ideas in this "safe place"? 

You would teach diplomacy. Some require a lot of it and some don’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

While Im not a fan of current mainstream Christianity in general I dont have a problem with Christian universities, in fact they just make sense. So do more conservative ones.   The point I was making is that people have choices. The Conservative crying about the culture at Cal Berkely is no different than a gay person would be for crying about culture at Liberty University.

Liberty is a private school--Cal Berkley is not, so it's not the same thing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
10 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

While Im not a fan of current mainstream Christianity in general I dont have a problem with Christian universities, in fact they just make sense. So do more conservative ones.   The point I was making is that people have choices. The Conservative crying about the culture at Cal Berkely is no different than a gay person would be for crying about culture at Liberty University.

My son attended a Christian University. He had to deal with the group think. His Philosophy teacher became his safe place, and in doing so changed his whole experience to one of value and growth. 
 

Basically he found someone to take to that was sensitive to his needs. It took one person. 
 To me, this is what a safe place is representative of.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

You would teach diplomacy. Some require a lot of it and some don’t. 

So, they must be indoctrinated in "proper" campus etiquette and forego traditional American values of freedom of speech and expression. Sounds pretty Orwellian to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Liberty is a private school--Cal Berkley is not, so it's not the same thing.

 

If you were talking about censorship of classic conservative political ideas I would agree with you. Ensuring a quality environment for both education and mental health however is not that. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

So, they must be indoctrinated in "proper" campus etiquette and forego traditional American values of freedom of speech and expression. Sounds pretty Orwellian to me. 

The problem is the right has largely forgotten the companion values that go along with them: Respect and responsibility. Until recently those have always been traditional American values as well.

Its not Orwellian its called being a decent human being.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

If you were talking about censorship of classic conservative political ideas I would agree with you. Ensuring a quality environment for both education and mental health however is not that. 

 

Yes and there's rub. Who gets to define what a "quality environment" is and how much suppression and exclusion is required to achieve it? College should be for education, not a social experiment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.