Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery after SUV filmed driving off cliff

Eldorado

"California Highway Patrol (CHP) said the unknown vehicle, which appears to be a green, pre-2016 Lexus RX, was travelling northbound on the SR-1 coastal highway south of Gray Whale Cove when it veered off the west side of the road.

"The video shows the car apparently not slowing down before disappearing off the cliff and out of shot.

"Despite search efforts from the emergency services by air and sea, including several rescue and dive teams, no occupants of the vehicle, nor the vehicle itself, were located."

Full monty with good video at Driving UK: https://www.driving.co.uk/video/mystery-suv-filmed-driving-off-cliff/

CBS report at YouTube:

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"California Highway Patrol (CHP) said the unknown vehicle, which appears to be a green, pre-2016 Lexus RX, was travelling northbound on the SR-1 coastal highway south of Gray Whale Cove when it veered off the west side of the road.

"The video shows the car apparently not slowing down before disappearing off the cliff and out of shot.

"Despite search efforts from the emergency services by air and sea, including several rescue and dive teams, no occupants of the vehicle, nor the vehicle itself, were located."

Full monty at Driving UK: https://www.driving.co.uk/video/mystery-suv-filmed-driving-off-cliff/

CBS video at YouTube:

What do you think is going on here, doctored footage, CGI, or is this a time traveler going back to the future!,:alien: This is very interesting, I hope the rest of the story comes to light.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 4

Do whoever recorded it stop to investigate? There must have been other cars following either that one or the one that recorded it. Those dashcam things always label it with the exact time, don't they. 

• Like 1

Maybe it maintained sufficient buoyancy for a riptide to pull it out to sea.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Maybe it maintained sufficient buoyancy for a riptide to pull it out to sea.

I suppose that could happen, but normally vehicles sink pretty fast. Unless they have been specially designed for fording water usually cones in pretty fast.

Peace

19 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Do whoever recorded it stop to investigate? There must have been other cars following either that one or the one that recorded it. Those dashcam things always label it with the exact time, don't they. 

Yea they did and they stayed there until the police arrived. The police also confiscated the dash cams SD Chip. Then they sent in diver and all other types of search and rescue to date nothing has been found or they are not reporting it. It happened on Dec 20 2019, I did a search today and there is nothing new.

peace

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

The video shows a car going off of the cliff. The video should provide enough information to determine the speed of the vehicle. That would lead to simple physics determining where the car impacted. Not all of the seaside cliffs have water at the base.  Is there an impact site on the cliff? Is there a terrace below? How deep is the water below? Would the windows survive the impact?

If the video at 46 seconds shows the site, then there is likely an impact spot below. There are rocks at the base of the cliff. Even if the car remained intact you'd expect to see impact marks where the vehicle hit.

Curious that it has gone this far with no resolution.

• Like 3

If its not a fake (looked real enough to me) it sank and will be found eventually. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

The video shows a car going off of the cliff. The video should provide enough information to determine the speed of the vehicle. That would lead to simple physics determining where the car impacted. Not all of the seaside cliffs have water at the base.  Is there an impact site on the cliff? Is there a terrace below? How deep is the water below? Would the windows survive the impact?

If the video at 46 seconds shows the site, then there is likely an impact spot below. There are rocks at the base of the cliff. Even if the car remained intact you'd expect to see impact marks where the vehicle hit.

I find this sort of comment really useful as it is what I often think when trying to rule things out. 

If anyone else is also interested this is the Google Maps location of where the video was recorded: 
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5591515,-122.5143242,3a,90y,228.36h,96.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4hGgV2idJkqaG-1mGNnl6Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

And here is a photograph of the same location with how steep a drop is. The people you can see are approximately stood where the car "took off". 
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5595203,-122.5140265,3a,51.9y,270.61h,85.38t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipO8_ZgyZ8ajkNeWimPPwJZswlPUtbTpRWdsdOyL!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipO8_ZgyZ8ajkNeWimPPwJZswlPUtbTpRWdsdOyL%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya118.626915-ro-0-fo100!7i8192!8i4096

Edited by ExoPaul
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Taking a look at the vehicle specs I learned that the car is 16 1/2 feet in length.

From the telephone pole to the jump is roughly 65 feet.

The car traverses that distance in roughly a second.

At 60 miles per hour an object travels 88 feet in 1 second.

Although my guesses are rough it sets bounds on how fast the car is traveling. My guess is maybe 40 to 60 miles per hour. The car will continues its horizontal speed during its entire flight through the air. That's roughly 50 to 90 feet each second of flight. 

Using s = 1/2 at^2  We can solve for t = sqrt(2s/a) which is sqrt(s)/4 

For a 100 foot cliff it takes 2.5 seconds to reach bottom if it is an air drop. An impact on the cliff on the way down increases the time to descend. The car could travel 130 to 220 feet horizontally in that time.

Looking at it this way suggests to me it is possible that the car did not impact the cliff during its descent.

• Like 2

Looking at this view you can wonder if they hit the water or the wave cut terrace. If they hit the terrace you'd think that there would be marks where paint or metal was transferred to the rock.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5591708,-122.5148884,164m/data=!3m1!1e3

Not too hard to see where metal boats hit rocks in the river near me.

Using v=at and a drop of 2.5s seconds you have a vertical speed of 80 feet per second and a horizontal speed of 50 to 90 feet per second. That should leave a mark.

3 hours ago, stereologist said:

Your comments certainly make sense, but nothing and I repeat nothing has been found. This situation is very strange, it totally defies a logical explanation in all respects. So it makes me think this is a hoax of some kind that will unless proven otherwise will become some type of Urban legend. 

Peace

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Your comments certainly make sense, but nothing and I repeat nothing has been found. This situation is very strange, it totally defies a logical explanation in all respects. So it makes me think this is a hoax of some kind that will unless proven otherwise will become some type of Urban legend. 

Peace

Events often leave evidence. I would think that the police have quite a bit of expertise and would notice things such as whether or not the place where the car leaves the parking area shows evidence of something going over it. 

My guess of 100 feet to the water was way off. It was only 40 feet.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/car-plunges-cliff-sea-horrifying-21219493

Tyre tracks were found at the edge of the cliff and car parts were found floating in 40-ft deep water beneath the beauty spot, near Gray Whale Cove in northern California, when the emergency services arrived on December 30.

Cecile Juliette, a spokeswoman for the San Mateo County Fire Department, told the Mercury News: “You have to keep in mind that this happens periodically, so they do find car debris when they go out searching for something like this.

In fact there is an article I found in which a woman survived a 200 drop and was rescued a week later.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Events often leave evidence. I would think that the police have quite a bit of expertise and would notice things such as whether or not the place where the car leaves the parking area shows evidence of something going over it. 

My guess of 100 feet to the water was way off. It was only 40 feet.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/car-plunges-cliff-sea-horrifying-21219493

In fact there is an article I found in which a woman survived a 200 drop and was rescued a week later.

I understand about surviving a drop, but this case is different. First you have to consider the speed st which the vehicular was traveling, and then to  determine the impact force when hitting water. But to put all that aside, I really think this a hoax. Vehicles don't float away, once they impact the water they fill up and sink very quickly. When you consider that divers and all types of rescue support was there very quickly, there's no reason to have not found that vehicle or at least parts of it that would have broken off on impact. 

In my opinion there is sonething else going on, the only thing is what eactly is it, a hoax or a real event. I think it may have been a scene from a movie that is being used to hoax this, but it's just an opinion.

peace

Any car experts here?  I think most collision zones on vehicles are designed for horizontal impact.  Would hitting rock or even water after falling 40 feet seriously compromise the vehicle?  Would it drive the passenger seats up into the roof?  Likely shatter the windows too I reckon.  Hard to survive that.  It might  even be hard to even get a body out of that car except in small bite-sized pieces.

Seems like there would have to be broken pieces below the impact.  The CHP statement was a bit cagey about saying the car parts they found belonged to this car.

• Thanks 1

That the Devil's Slide area, driven that route several times. Along that road, this isn't the first car to drive off the edge.

" As of 2 p.m., crews had discovered tire tracks on the cliff and car parts in the ocean, but they were uncertain whether the parts were connected to the incident."

“You have to keep in mind that this happens periodically, so they do find car debris when they go out searching for something like this,” said Cecile Juliette, public information officer with San Mateo County Fire Department. “Once a car goes over the cliff into the water, they might never find anything even if it did happen.

“We can’t say anything conclusively at this point.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/12/30/officials-investigating-vehicle-that-ran-off-cliff-at-gray-whale-cove/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They're obviously time travelers obviously.

• Haha 1

Has no-one been reported missing?  Seems strange if not.  One person at least, and maybe more.

• Like 3