Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Hallucinations

Sullen Girl

Ever since I was in my early 20’s, I have dealt with “visions” during sleep that lead me to awaken very afraid and screaming. I usually see these visions as a dark mass along the walls or “shapes” floating along the ceiling. These experiences have been very sporadic but extremely frightening when they do happen. Last night I woke up with a vision of what I could only describe as a large lobster claw up in the ceiling and clawing closer and closer to my face. I don’t know if I’m awake when these things happen or asleep?  Objects in my room also tend to change shapes like the ceiling fan will take the shape of a black cat with a long tail. All this sounds so crazy when I actually try to explain it.  Has anyone had an experience like this and can provide some insight as to what is happening?

• Like 1

Hypnagogic hallucinations is searchable; see what you think.

It's not that unusual. I don't know where you live, but in many places when it bothers you like that, it's a recognized sleep disorder, and you can get some help with it, maybe covered by your health insurance or similar arrangement.

Welcome aboard.

• Like 3

Are these like dreams? Or are they like you woke up and are unable to move while seeing these things? 

Thank you for your replies. I’m not sure if they are dreams but I know my eyes are open because my husband has said I am staring at the ceiling and it takes a beat for him to get me to snap out of it. I will most definitely search those terms within the forum. 

• Like 1