Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prince Harry and Meghan Stepping Down

susieice

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have announced they will be stepping down from royal duties as senior members of the royal family. They are working on becoming financially independent. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/prince-harry-meghan-markle-step-back-senior-members-royal-family-n1112511

https://abc7chicago.com/society/prince-harry-meghan-markle-stepping-back-from-royal-family/5826647/

The decision may have a little something to do with Prince Charles.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2020/01/08/prince-harry-meghan-step-back-senior-members-royal-family-couple/

The surprise development comes on the heels of mounting speculation about the couple's future, with reports claiming they had met the Prince of Wales and the Queen to discuss their role. 

Harry and Meghan were said to have felt uncertain about their own position in the slimmed down monarchy envisaged by Charles when he ascends to the throne. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Yep, this was coming. I imagine Andrew and his clan will also be shoved out, and really, it needs to be. The days when they supported themselves from vast estates seems to be over. Taxes only go so far.

Now, if we can just do this with our own politicians and get them off the dole for working less than a full career in the Senate or House, put them on our own insurance plans (or lack of),  that would be a good plan, too.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It seems Prince Charles has envisioned this transition when he becomes King for a long time. It was noticed during the Christmas season that pictures , even at the Queen's speech, only contained the Queen and her heirs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2019/11/27/british-monarchy-in-transition--is-it-time-for-king-charles/#276053a77946

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

OMG what a tragedy.   lol,  what will they do??    she was an actress once she can do it again, maybe, harry is a captain, who has combat experience, he may continue the carrier. 

Edited by aztek

Harry can get a job at Waitrose and Megan can do adverts. We have diverse adverts all the time, I am sure she can find a part.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They will still be part of the family firm, their statement said - "we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution."

"We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen and Commonwealth."

I suspect Harry would love to move further away from his official royal position but its like the Mafia, once in you are in for life. ;) 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America,

6 months in the UK and 6 months in America,  means they will not have to pay tax on any earnings. Thats an old trick. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

6 months in the UK and 6 months in America,  means they will not have to pay tax on any earnings. Thats an old trick. 

Possibly, not sure how it works as Megan was born in US and might pay some tax their? Harry is paid by Charles from his income from Duchy of Cornwall which pays income tax on the Duchy's profit. Charles paid £4.9 million to Harry, William and their partners from the Duchy in 2018. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, aztek said:

OMG what a tragedy.   lol,  what will they do??    she was an actress once she can do it again, maybe, harry is a captain, who has combat experience, he may continue the carrier. 

She is an oddball snowflake and has made Harry the most unpopular Royal in the UK.

He needs to put his foot down instead of letting her make all the decisions about their future.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

She is an oddball snowflake and has made Harry the most unpopular Royal in the UK.

He needs to put his foot down instead of letting her make all the decisions about their future.

yea i agree but it wont happen

• Like 1

Will be cringeworthy to see them appear on the Ellen show and late night talk shows as token special guests.  They will likely publish a book and make millions, or receive a tidy sum from the Royal family with an agreement signed which forbids them from publishing the family secrets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Possibly, not sure how it works as Megan was born in US and might pay some tax their? Harry is paid by Charles from his income from Duchy of Cornwall which pays income tax on the Duchy's profit. Charles paid £4.9 million to Harry, William and their partners from the Duchy in 2018. 

Megan has had to file US taxes every year. Even when she was living in England. She is still a US citizen. Archie also has US citizenship.

Harry always struck me as being someone unhappy with his place in the world, and if being with Megan has helped him find some inner peace and the confidence to tell the Old Firm to Jack it, good on him.... but I’m also cynical and always ask myself “what are they distracting us from” whenever a member of the Old Firm gets caught playing up/making wild statements. Harry is the perennial “distraction”, remember all those parties where he got rotten drunk and dressed as a Nazi we’re also attended by William, but not a peep about his antics have ever really come to light. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Harry always struck me as being someone unhappy with his place in the world, and if being with Megan has helped him find some inner peace and the confidence to tell the Old Firm to Jack it, good on him.... but I’m also cynical and always ask myself “what are they distracting us from” whenever a member of the Old Firm gets caught playing up/making wild statements. Harry is the perennial “distraction”, remember all those parties where he got rotten drunk and dressed as a Nazi we’re also attended by William, but not a peep about his antics have ever really come to light. 

William is the heir. Harry isn't. It seems like that's the way the family will be handled from now on. It will only be the Monarch and their direct heirs.

• Like 5

I don't think the British public are going to be too happy with this news. One senses that Meghan wears the pants, and wants to distance herself from the royal charade. But unless they cut themselves from public monies immediately, it just looks like wanting the best of both worlds.

• Like 4

Meghan has already had one divorce, it looks like she wants another one, from the "firm", but wants alimony ! It wouldn't surprise if Harry eventually gets the shove, I don't think she looks like a "sticker".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

*cough*Andrew*cough*

Get a sense of perspective. And for gods sake actually talk to people who are different to you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I don't think the British public are going to be too happy with this news. One senses that Meghan wears the pants, and wants to distance herself from the royal charade. But unless they cut themselves from public monies immediately, it just looks like wanting the best of both worlds.

I doubt this was wholly, or even largely, her decision. Harry lost his mother as a child because of the way the press harassed her. Now he's had to see the same happening to his wife. Can't blame either of them telling them to shove it. 

• Like 4

Just now, Setton said:

I doubt this was wholly, or even largely, her decision. Harry lost his mother as a child because of the way the press harassed her. Now he's had to see the same happening to his wife. Can't blame either of them telling them to shove it. 

Absolutely should be free to walk, but walk with still a massive call on public money, I think would be wrong.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Meghan has already had one divorce, it looks like she wants another one, from the "firm", but wants alimony ! It wouldn't surprise if Harry eventually gets the shove, I don't think she looks like a "sticker".

I cannot guess why her first marriage didnt work lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I cannot guess why her first marriage didnt work lol

Why don't you bring us into the loop on that one.

• Like 1

There are sites publishing the rumor that a divorce is imminent. Forbes says it means the split between William and Kate and Harry and Meghan from the Royal Foundation they ran together. Sounds like the break may have been coming for a while.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2019/06/24/meghan-markle-and-prince-harry-now-going-their-own-way/#18a812676e86

• Like 1

Well this is devastating news for the Royal family's image especially after decades of hard work by Prince Andrew :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Absolutely should be free to walk, but walk with still a massive call on public money, I think would be wrong.

He's still a member of the royal family. He's still a Prince. Are there family generated incomes he is entitled to?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, susieice said:

He's still a member of the royal family. He's still a Prince. Are there family generated incomes he is entitled to?

I recall Harry has a net worth of something like $40 million and received about $10 million in his late mother's inheritance when he came of age.  The reports say that Harry and Meghan will continue with their Royal duties, but in a smaller fashion, which I guess is a legal perk which grants them tax payer travel expenses and living costs, body guards etc.  Will be interesting to discover where their child Archie will be educated and if he will grow up to have an American/Canadian accent.  Reminds me of the film 'King Ralph'.

Hello Archie

Image result for king ralph"

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 3