Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prince Harry and Meghan Stepping Down

susieice

I see the Queen has issued a message supportive of her grandson and his wife. Perhaps the old united front tactic. I was watching some news program, where the journo expressed dismay at Harry doing the hard-sell on a Disney exec, more or less demanding he sign Meghan up to a lucrative deal. I have long been relatively neutral about the Republic debate in Australia, but I am salivating at the prospect of giving the royals the boot when the next referendum comes around, which I think is inevitable post the exit of the Queen. The form just isn't reading well for these people, I think away from the Queen, people have thin regard for them. And justifiably so. When they stop "playing the game" themselves, it is time for the hoi-polloi to quit the charade.

• Like 1

When you figure that over 85% of the world's population doesn't know any British Monarch other than Queen Elizabeth II, it will be a hard adjustment when Charles steps up. You have to be 70 or older to remember when her father was King.

13 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

IMO Harry’s doing what The Spare has always done - test the waters to see if the plebs accept something and distract from the real things happening in the Old Firm.

I’d merrily wager that within the year Charlie-Boy does the same thing so when Big Bet departs the stage the cardboard cutout of a bank manager can become King. Betty also needed the pressure taken off Andrew so threw the sixth in line to the wolves. Maybe Harry wanted out, seems that way. But he’s only out now because of the need to distract the peasants, and what a good job it’s done. I mean, no one has even thought about Andrew in days.

And if the tabloid rags here in Oz are anything to go by, the reason Harry’s In full “distract DISTRACT!” mode is that the Bank Manager can’t keep his little William in his trousers. 

9 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Kinda related:

Duchess of Sussex's father set to testify in court against her

UK Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2020/01/14/duchess-sussexs-father-set-testify-court-against-text-messages/

The link tells me I have to subscribe but I got enough to catch the jest of the article. Meghan sure has some issues coming up :no:

7 minutes ago, susieice said:

The link tells me I have to subscribe but I got enough to catch the jest of the article. Meghan sure has some issues coming up :no:

It's all over the Daily Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7887613/Markle-vs-Markle-Meghans-father-set-star-witness-against-High-Court-showdown.html

Edited by Eldorado
  • Thanks 2

Looks like they're not as welcome in Canada as they thought.

Canadian national newspaper tells Harry and Meghan to stay away

One of Canada’s biggest newspapers has slammed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s decision to leave the palace, saying the country “cannot become (their) home”.

According to an editorial in The Globe and Mail, Harry and Meghan’s decision to step back from royal duties and move to Canada would impinge upon the “Canadian monarchy”.

“Our royals don’t live here. They reign from a distance,” the editorial says.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/harry-meghan-bid-live-canada-064526760.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

Of course they're not. They'll be taking thousands of ceremonial ribbon-cutting jobs from hard-working Canadians!

The editorial will most likely resonate with many Canadians, but many also understand and sympathise with their situation in the UK. Both (especially Meghan) have been crucified and the level of racism leveled against her has been staggering. They will be welcome as long as they cast aside their 'royal airs' and as long as our government doesn't fund their security. The latter appears to be the real sticking point with most Canadians, so Harry and Meghan would be well advised to find funding elsewhere or pay for it themselves.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

That's what I'm hearing too. A poll says 73% of Canadians do not want to pay the bill for their upkeep.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7895325/Nearly-three-quarters-Canadians-dont-want-pay-Harry-Meghan-living-country.html

I found this from CTV.

• Like 2

Prince Harry and Meghan's UK home being closed down

Frogmore Cottage, the home of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, is in the process of being shuttered, according to reports, fuelling speculation the couple do not intend to spend any meaningful time in the UK in the near future.

Key live-in staff – a house manager and a cleaner – are being moved to other duties within the Queen’s household. Other staff members, used on an ad hoc basis and including chefs, maids and footmen, have been told their services are no longer required at the couple’s Windsor residence, the Daily Mail reported.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/17/prince-harry-and-meghans-uk-home-shut-up-and-staff-moved-elsewhere

• Like 3

Why is it being shuttered if Harry and Meghan intend to keep it as their official residence when they are in the UK? That sounds a little more permanent. It doesn't sound like they intend to be there very much at all. It's a shame. It was just renovated at a high cost to make it their home. They didn't want to stay at Kensington. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 11:57 AM, susieice said:

That's what I'm hearing too. A poll says 73% of Canadians do not want to pay the bill for their upkeep.

Ultimately it will depend on what Harry and Meghan decide to do whilst living here. Meghan's already visited a woman's shelter in Vancouver, and if she and Harry take up such causes and/or use their position to help Canadians, then I don't see why paying for things like their security should be a big deal.

• Like 1

Wonder if the couple will sell their child to the Royal family.  Let Harry and Meghan disappear into the crowd and grant the royal family access, protection and custody of the child.  Safer to have the Queen's great grandson brought up in a royal household, rather than have him end up on the National Enquirer as another Hollywood problem child with divorced parents.  Wonder if the child will be welcomed back into royal protection once he comes of age.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:19 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

IMO Harry’s doing what The Spare has always done - test the waters to see if the plebs accept something and distract from the real things happening in the Old Firm.

I’d merrily wager that within the year Charlie-Boy does the same thing so when Big Bet departs the stage the cardboard cutout of a bank manager can become King. Betty also needed the pressure taken off Andrew so threw the sixth in line to the wolves. Maybe Harry wanted out, seems that way. But he’s only out now because of the need to distract the peasants, and what a good job it’s done. I mean, no one has even thought about Andrew in days.

It does seem rather a pity people don't get worked up into the same amount of fury and outrage about people who do, regrettably, matter, such as politicians.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

Wonder if the couple will sell their child to the Royal family.  Let Harry and Meghan disappear into the crowd and grant the royal family access, protection and custody of the child.  Safer to have the Queen's great grandson brought up in a royal household, rather than have him end up on the National Enquirer as another Hollywood problem child with divorced parents.  Wonder if the child will be welcomed back into royal protection once he comes of age.

It all went pear-shaped, very quickly. That woman appears to me to be quite the go-getter.

12 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

Why? It was good enough for his father ;)

33 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Why? It was good enough for his father ;)

Imagine if Charles and Diana had quit the royal family and got divorced in Hollywood style with a bitter custody battle for little William and Harry spread across the US media and the Queen offering Diana a cash settlement for custody of the children.  I think Royal protection would be a safer choice.

Latest....

"Prince Harry and Meghan will no longer use their HRH titles and will not receive public funds for royal duties, Buckingham Palace has announced.

"The couple will also no longer formally represent The Queen."

At the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51163865

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Latest....

"Prince Harry and Meghan will no longer use their HRH titles and will not receive public funds for royal duties, Buckingham Palace has announced.

I just saw this too and was ready to post it. They will also repay the 2.4 million pounds of taxpayer money that was used to refurbish Frogmore Cottage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Latest....

Sounds like a typical family feud.

• Like 1