Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

'Ghost' photographed in Scottish castle

47 posts in this topic

Susanc241

Now, I am REALLY waiting to see what sort of comments this gets. Before reading the article and on just seeing the photo I thought of a member of staff dressed as a servant (re-enactment sort of thing). But, apparently not. And if not, intriguing. Don�t know what to think myself.

I can’t see how this is can be brushed off as a straight case of the eyes making a shape that isn’t there (complete mental block on how to spell par???), or matrixing.  I am prepared to be corrected.

Edited by Susanc241
To add last comment

acute

Nice!

Thank you, Mr. Bot. :tu:

Myles

Interesting.   Can't rule out a hoax to build tourism $$.

• Like 3

esoteric_toad
5 minutes ago, Myles said:

Interesting.   Can't rule out a hoax to build tourism $$.

Not even a planned hoax. Looking at their facebook page you can see lots of photos of people in period clothes-HERE

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

SecretSanta
56 minutes ago, esoteric_toad said:

Not even a planned hoax. Looking at their facebook page you can see lots of photos of people in period clothes-HERE

Exactly! I was just looking at their Facebook page and saw that it’s a “living history” museum. As you said, many photos of people in costumes. I even saw a few maids. 

• Like 6

MissJatti

Just a regular handmaiden, You can get clothes like in the picture from ebay and amazon.

• Like 2

moonman

Considering they have people around the house dressed like that, I'm inclined to think it was just staff and the whole "nobody else was in the house" thing is exaggerated. How does some random tourist know who is in the house at any given time and what the exact alarm/security capabilities are? He didn't see the person until after he left, so he wouldn't have been asking about things like that in the first place. Even if he did ask, it would be stupid on the caretaker's part to give out accurate security specifics to anybody who asks.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 6

rapido

Amazing! Thank you very much!

Calibeliever

Given there are humans on the premises all the time dressed in that style of clothing, I think Occam's Razor has to be applied here. Just because he didn't think anyone was in the house doesn't mean there wasn't. In fact, there are lights on in other rooms in the photograph. On a side note, that place looks cool as hell, I'd love to get to visit sometime :)

• Like 6

Seti42

It's Nessie wearing a period costume, obviously. Ghosts aren't real.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Myles
3 hours ago, moonman said:

Considering they have people around the house dressed like that, I'm inclined to think it was just staff and the whole "nobody else was in the house" thing is exaggerated. How does some random tourist know who is in the house at any given time and what the exact alarm/security capabilities are? He didn't see the person until after he left, so he wouldn't have been asking about things like that in the first place. Even if he did ask, it would be stupid on the caretaker's part to give out accurate security specifics to anybody who asks.

I would guess that the employee heard someone outside and went to the window to see.   

• Like 3

papageorge1

Sounds like another impressive story especially with: 
"It was locked and bolted - and the custodian had to switch off the alarm system (motion) when he arrived and unlocked the place," Drew McAdam wrote on Facebook.

My skeptical side knows the possibility of a hoax by one of the participants or even an unknown real person hiding in the castle. I also have come to believe ghosts attached to old castles and ghosts in general are nothing ridiculously rare either by now. 

I have the best tool in the shed right here:

Papameter    

60% Paranormal      40% Trickery

HollyDolly

That's what I thought.It was an employee. Now if the photo was taken at Berry Pomeroy Castle or some other runined place, in an area where the floor was missing or some other od place,etc. i might say it's a ghost. But I just think it's a worker is all.

• Like 2

SecretSanta

There was a magic festival there Jan 2-5. Shows were 3:30, 5:30 and 7:30. There photos that show women in this exact type costume. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

skliss

Live human looking out to see who's been banging on the door.

SecretSanta

Looky  here...

Drew McAdams performing that same weekend at the castle...

mMbuHN4.jpg
The date says Sunday at at 6:09 am which means they were from the day before, the 4th.

Edited by SecretSanta
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

moonman
2 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Looky  here...

Drew McAdams performing that same weekend at the castle...

mMbuHN4.jpg

EXACT match. That right there is all I need to know this whole story is a total load of BS.

People who spin these little tales never expect anyone to do any fact checking.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

moonman

I just realized  - the spoon bending magician is the one who claimed all this in the first place? A guy who's career is BASED in BS? LOL. If he were honest about it he would have mentioned the maids he worked with were dressed EXACTLY LIKE HIS "GHOST". He probably knows her name.

I guess someone out there is dumb enough to fall for it, there's a sucker born every minute. Just a liar spinning more lies is all this is. I can't stand people who pull this crap, it ruins it for the honestly unexplained stories.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SecretSanta
23 minutes ago, moonman said:

I just realized  - the spoon bending magician is the one who claimed all this in the first place? A guy who's career is BASED in BS? LOL. If he were honest about it he would have mentioned the maids he worked with were dressed EXACTLY LIKE HIS "GHOST". He probably knows her name.

I guess someone out there is dumb enough to fall for it, there's a sucker born every minute. Just a liar spinning more lies is all this is. I can't stand people who pull this crap, it ruins it for the honestly unexplained stories.

The Lauriston Castle Facebook page posted the photo and in one of the replies they said that the living history people were not at this event. Hmmmm...

Aaron2016

The staff are dressed similar, but not exactly the same as the figure behind the window.

ghost1.png

SecretSanta
2 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

The staff are dressed similar, but not exactly the same as the figure behind the window.

ghost1.png

We can’t really see all the detail on the window girl but I looks pretty darn close to me. I think I can see white around the neck and the shoulder straps look like they could have lace. The neck line of the apron looks a little wider but that could be because of the fit (looks like the bodice is pooching out a bit) or if she’s busty it would have to fit a little different up top. 

• Like 2

papageorge1
6 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

We can’t really see all the detail on the window girl but I looks pretty darn close to me. I think I can see white around the neck and the shoulder straps look like they could have lace. The neck line of the apron looks a little wider but that could be because of the fit (looks like the bodice is pooching out a bit) or if she’s busty it would have to fit a little different up top. 

Let’s not forget that the re-enactors are intentionally trying to dress like a period maid (or ghost maid). So a strong resemblance is also exactly what the ghost maid theory would expect too. 

So I wouldn’t overrate the importance of the re-enactors although it would simplify finding a hoax subject.

One could even argue that the effort to produce a hoax would have produced something more creative perhaps.

joc
28 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

One could even argue that the effort to produce a hoax would have produced something more creative perhaps.

Huh?

47 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

ghost1and2.jpg.fcf5ae9e3e5fb50aba8d4805cae9233c.jpg

I'd say they are almost identical.