Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Ghost' photographed in Scottish castle

UM-Bot

2 minutes ago, joc said:

Huh?

ghost1and2.jpg.fcf5ae9e3e5fb50aba8d4805cae9233c.jpg

I'd say they are almost identical.  

Similar but different was my point. I’m not sure what your point is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Similar but different was my point. I’m not sure what your point is.

My point is...it's not a ghost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, joc said:

My point is...it's not a ghost.

Because the outfits are similar but different? Not getting your point there.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

The Lauriston Castle Facebook page posted the photo and in one of the replies they said that the living history people were not at this event. Hmmmm...

Well then they are liars because the photo shows one standing next to the guy that made the claim. 

Edited by moonman
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

The staff are dressed similar, but not exactly the same as the figure behind the window.

ghost1.png

Yes, that is exactly the same. Pull the apron forward a little on the "ghost" and it's an exact match to the woman standing next to the guy that made the claim in the first place. Aside from the glasses it could be the same woman.

It doesn't get more obvious.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bah! She isn't even slightly transparent, unlike the ghost fib.

Edited by Alchopwn

All the skeptical explanations require at least someone involved in the case to be an out-and-out liar.

It just seems to me that hard-core skeptic's general estimation of human morality takes a sad nosedive as soon as a paranormally suggestive cases occur. 

43 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

All the skeptical explanations require at least someone involved in the case to be an out-and-out liar.

It just seems to me that hard-core skeptic's general estimation of human morality takes a sad nosedive as soon as a paranormally suggestive cases occur. 

It sure looks like Lauriston Castle is telling a fib... 

Z9QBl8j.jpg

This is from their Facebook post about the photo. We all know from the photos that there were definitely people in costumes there.

Edited by SecretSanta
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

It sure looks like Lauriston Castle is telling a fib... 

Z9QBl8j.jpg

This is from their Facebook post about the photo. We all know from the photos that there were definitely people in costumes there.

I don't see the fib? I assume they are talking about some pre-arranged private event for McAdam. We were told:

"It was locked and bolted - and the custodian had to switch off the alarm system (motion) when he arrived and unlocked the place," Drew McAdam wrote on Facebook.

"There was NOBODY in the house when I got there. (Several people had rung the bell and knocked the door, wondering if they might see inside.) I took a quick series of photos."

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I don't see the fib? I assume they are talking about some pre-arranged private event for McAdam. We were told:

"It was locked and bolted - and the custodian had to switch off the alarm system (motion) when he arrived and unlocked the place," Drew McAdam wrote on Facebook.

"There was NOBODY in the house when I got there. (Several people had rung the bell and knocked the door, wondering if they might see inside.) I took a quick series of photos."

It was a big 3 day event with shows throughout the afternoon and evening. 

You don’t see a fib? They (staff at the castle that hosted this event) said when asked about the living history volunteers “No, they were not at this event”. So if they can lie (which they are because photos posted from the event show numerous costumed people including maids) then I’m sure others can too. Also in other photos that the guy took shows lights on in the building, if it were locked up tight and no one was inside why were there lights on? 

Maybe the doors were locked because the workers were getting ready and not about to open the doors to people they didn’t know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

It was a big 3 day event with shows throughout the afternoon and evening. 

?? When the person said 'No they were not at this event' how do you know which event they are referring to?

You don’t see a fib? 

Not seeing it.

They (staff at the castle that hosted this event) said when asked about the living history volunteers “No, they were not at this event”. So if they can lie (which they are because photos posted from the event show numerous costumed people including maids) then I’m sure others can too. 

Again, I'm not getting how we know what event that quote was referring to. 

Also in other photos that the guy took shows lights on in the building, if it were locked up tight and no one was inside why were there lights on? 

The photos could have been taken by him after the place was opened up to him (McAdam). Or even a security light for all that matters.

Maybe the doors were locked because the workers were getting ready and not about to open the doors to people they didn’t know. 

But: "It was locked and bolted - and the custodian had to switch off the alarm system (motion) when he arrived and unlocked the place," Drew McAdam wrote on Facebook.

7 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

?? When the person said 'No they were not at this event' how do you know which event they are referring to?

Not seeing it.

Again, I'm not getting how we know what event that quote was referring to. 

The photos could have been taken by him after the place was opened up to him (McAdam). Or even a security light for all that matters.

But: "It was locked and bolted - and the custodian had to switch off the alarm system (motion) when he arrived and unlocked the place," Drew McAdam wrote on Facebook.

I’m sorry if you can’t understand, I’ll try one more time.

Lauriston castle has a Facebook page. Ok, they post stuff to that Facebook page. Still with me? They posted the “ghost photo” on their page, some one asked if it was a worker in costume, this is where we get to the lie, “No, they weren’t at this event.”. 

Castle hosts a weekend magic event. People are in period dress. Lies about it on Facebook. Trying to make people think the photo is actually a ghost.

Anyhow, I’m done. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

I’m sorry if you can’t understand, I’ll try one more time.

Lauriston castle has a Facebook page. Ok, they post stuff to that Facebook page. Still with me? They posted the “ghost photo” on their page, some one asked if it was a worker in costume, this is where we get to the lie, “No, they weren’t at this event.”. 

Castle hosts a weekend magic event. People are in period dress. Lies about it on Facebook. Trying to make people think the photo is actually a ghost.

Anyhow, I’m done. 

I'll let you be done but it seems to me that you are talking about a different event than the McAdam visit. Not buying the author would blatantly and intentionally lie without seeing some more clear evidence of what was said and meant. There is more burden of evidence in my mind for someone calling out a liar. My best suspicion is that the 'author' is a normal person that could readily explain what was said and clarify your misunderstanding. It gets back to my original point about people being so quick to lower people's integrity in a way they wouldn't be so quick to do on a normal issue. 

Maybe I can get on Facebook and actually talk to this author.

Edit: It looks like I could ask the person directly on Facebook but that would expose my real name to all on this forum. Not worth it to me. I don't know how I would think the author would think they could get away with saying there were no reenactors at the events you have shown photos from. But anyway.

Edited by papageorge1

49 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I'll let you be done but it seems to me that you are talking about a different event than the McAdam visit. Not buying the author would blatantly and intentionally lie without seeing some more clear evidence of what was said and meant. There is more burden of evidence in my mind for someone calling out a liar. My best suspicion is that the 'author' is a normal person that could readily explain what was said and clarify your misunderstanding. It gets back to my original point about people being so quick to lower people's integrity in a way they wouldn't be so quick to do on a normal issue. 

Maybe I can get on Facebook and actually talk to this author.

Edit: It looks like I could ask the person directly on Facebook but that would expose my real name to all on this forum. Not worth it to me. I don't know how I would think the author would think they could get away with saying there were no reenactors at the events you have shown photos from. But anyway.

Absolutely not a different event. The date in the article posted here on UM said the photo was taken on January 4th. He was performing at an event called MagicFest. It was There are many people in costumes, documented with photos. However, the staff at the castle in charge of Facebook posts lied and said there were no people in costumes there. So there is some deception going on.

https://www.magicfest.co.uk/whats-on/#toggle-id-4

I am not misunderstanding anything, you are unwilling to accept the fact that there is something other than a ghost going on. .  

• Like 5

It's funny (but not unexpected) that the resident "always a ghost" yes-man still argues that this is a ghost, considering that the photographic evidence and circumstances for it being an actor is better than any ghost photo ever taken. The original photo is posted by the guy who worked the event, a picture is later taken of him at said event with an actor present, then the place tries to say there were no actors there in a sad and obvious attempt to mystify the whole rancid thing.

Really shows the "believer" thought processes involved - none. They will believe anything they are told as long as the explanation is "ghost". Documented facts are completely ignored while they sit and decry skeptics.

It would be funny if it weren't so maddeningly pathetic.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 3

So forgive me if this was already asked... but have any of our facebookin' members (I'm not one of 'those'..) actually posted to the page in question, or invited the claimant (or interested readers) to be brave and come over here to UM to discuss his position?

It seems to me a good thing if we can do our bit to stop the proliferation of fake mysteries, so as to focus on the real ones, ie those not based on lies, or making a buck...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a wildly nice place to visit. Here is a site on it with a massive listing of events there https://www.eventyas.com/GB/Edinburgh/269712989681/Lauriston-Castle

Some systems in these massive places have motion sensors on the ground floor, so staff and anyone staying there can move around upstairs but would no way come downstairs and set the alarms off to open the doors early, even if the person pounding on the door was scheduled to perform there later. I noticed many of the other shades were down except for the one the maid is at, perhaps opening it for the day?

Maybe it was a ghost, but I think in this case it is more likely to have been staff setting up for the day. JMO, though, and you know what they say about those LOL.

Pretty sure I've seen many of "ghost" photos and vids from this location. They tend to pop up on popular countdown channels as "definitive proof". Always the same backstory..."no one was around at this time", "room was locked", "we assure you the area was clear", "we were the only ones there" are just a few of the phrases i've heard. Sadly, It's easy for people to say whatever they want. While technology has made it easier to research the topic at hand...it also makes it easier for people to fake, also, sadly, many gullible folks are willing to take it at face value. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skeptical Moose said:

Pretty sure I've seen many of "ghost" photos and vids from this location. They tend to pop up on popular countdown channels as "definitive proof". Always the same backstory..."no one was around at this time", "room was locked", "we assure you the area was clear", "we were the only ones there" are just a few of the phrases i've heard. Sadly, It's easy for people to say whatever they want. While technology has made it easier to research the topic at hand...it also makes it easier for people to fake, also, sadly, many gullible folks are willing to take it at face value.

Should 'fake' and dishonesty be our first thought? I think most people have self-respect and are honorable actually.

Way too many serious ghost stories/pictures/videos for me to believe they are all faked or just mistaken. Actually the most important question is: 'Are some real?'. I'm saying probably the majority.

Edited by papageorge1

I've seen ghosts in my life. I believe they are real.

Other people have never seen ghosts, and believe they are not real.

Let's leave it at that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Funny how some people are so gullible they cannot accept that this is one of the funniest efforts ever to pretend that there was a ghost there.

For the sake of the historical site I do hope this advertising stunt drew in customers

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

1118012704_Capture-Ghost.JPG.2844d499bf3d0325c351c1e82b475821.JPG98292519_Capture-Staff.JPG.a4ee2d1839a2efcb8c6c4be7717d913d.JPG

The "Ghost" was also in another shot facing forward this time.  I personally think the likeness in this shot is very like the lady from the show.  Also if you notice that the photo of the building shows that some of the blinds are closed and some have been opened.  I would imagine he got a photo of the lady as she was going about opening the blinds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

I would imagine he got a photo of the lady as she was going about opening the blinds.

Or posing for a publicity "ghost" photo to promote the event. 

2 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Or posing for a publicity "ghost" photo to promote the event. 

Or that could be the case however she is certainly not a ghost.

• Like 1