Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog and Jamaican statue

UM-Bot

By: Kate21 | Location: Canada

I bought a wooden statue of what appears to be a priest when I was in Jamaica in 2013. A few days after placing this statue on a table my dog Molly developed an almost obsessive interest in this statue sniffing it and looking at it, etc.

More: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/112331/dog-and-jamaican-statue

• Like 1

Interesting story. I wonder if your dog recognises the statue from somewhere, did she have a previous owner before you? If she did perhaps her owner had the same statue, just a thought.

• Like 1

Re your question about if it is spiritual or not, that would be hard to say for anyone at distance, and for me isn't relevant to the issue anyway. If it bothers my dogs and is not something I care about - it goes out. Something is off with it, be it the resins rubbed into it or something at the least and they share my home, too.

I'd toss it out, myself, for that reason, not spiritual.

But, if you are wanting to keep it, and seriously are worried about some presence to it, then get some holy water from a church (not a store bought bottle) and wash it in that. If it still weirds your dog out, trash it. Something about the make of it is off to him and you have eased your mind and can know for sure it is not "spiritual". A lot of wood items made in poorer areas are salvaged and who knows where it has been or what chemicals or the like it was exposed to along the way before it got carved into your statue.

• Like 2

The statue might just smell skunky since it's from Jamaica  (you know, because of the whole weed religion thing they have) - and it's a porous wood religious item.

I AM NOT IMPLYING JAMAICANS SMELL BAD. Think about it. What smells skunky? Apparently that isn't obvious to some.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

I think there is a smell that is triggering the dogs reaction.  Dogs have better ability to smell than to see, and though they react to things they see, it is smell that is more important to them.  I would see if the statue seems hollow, maybe there is something inside it, or if it is wooden the oil used to finish it might have a smell that the dog is bothered by.

• Like 1

Interesting story, dogs are able to sense things that humans cannot or it could be the smell of the material the statue is made from.   If you have any uneasy vibes about the statue you could have it blessed or simply dispose of it.   

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2020 at 12:11 PM, Desertrat56 said:

I think there is a smell that is triggering the dogs reaction.  Dogs have better ability to smell than to see, and though they react to things they see, it is smell that is more important to them.  I would see if the statue seems hollow, maybe there is something inside it, or if it is wooden the oil used to finish it might have a smell that the dog is bothered by.

I think it's something in the wood. :yes:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...