Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Pathways that extend lifespan by 500%

Still Waters

Scientists at the MDI Biological Laboratory, in collaboration with scientists from the Buck Institute for Research on Aging in Novato, Calif., and Nanjing University in China, have identified synergistic cellular pathways for longevity that amplify lifespan fivefold in C. elegans, a nematode worm used as a model in aging research.

The increase in lifespan would be the equivalent of a human living for 400 or 500 years, according to one of the scientists.

https://phys.org/news/2020-01-biological-scientists-pathways-lifespan.html

• Like 3

Cookie Monster
22 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Scientists at the MDI Biological Laboratory, in collaboration with scientists from the Buck Institute for Research on Aging in Novato, Calif., and Nanjing University in China, have identified synergistic cellular pathways for longevity that amplify lifespan fivefold in C. elegans, a nematode worm used as a model in aging research.

The increase in lifespan would be the equivalent of a human living for 400 or 500 years, according to one of the scientists.

https://phys.org/news/2020-01-biological-scientists-pathways-lifespan.html

There doesnt seem to be any internet articles explaining exactly why they were able to extend worm lifespans so dramatically.

But bearing in mind they have bred worms with mutant IIS and mTOR pathways it would appear to be some worms that dont produce any insulin in response to the food they eat. 500% is impressive, there was a similar experiment with mice which got them living up to 10x longer although most went nearer the x5 mark.

We cannot genetically engineer humans yet to produce no insulin. And its not just a case of removing a persons pancreas because it performs other vital functions besides producing insulin. That means in order to replicate the worm results (if my interpretation of the experiment is correct) we currently only have the zero sugar/carbs option open to us.

If we were eating fatty meat as our main energy supply with some low carb veg for nutrients we might get it down to 10g carbs per meal. Meal replacements might allow us to get it lower but there are concerns about getting all the nutrients we need from them. While 5-2 diets exist it might actually want to consider moving to 2-5 diets. As in totally feasting 2 days per week then completely starving the other. That would give us no sugar/carbs most days but I dont know if it would be practical.

I think we are on the dawn of discovering that the Biblical claims of people living centuries are correct. With the reason being why lifespans decrease as time goes on in the book being caused by the rising of farming and industrial food production. In essence, are sugar/carbs have gone up and up and up.

Finally protein and alcohol produce an insulin response but fat doesnt. So it would be primarily a fat diet for energy, and everything else just for essential nutrients.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

Still Waters
11 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

There doesnt seem to be any internet articles explaining exactly why they were able to extend worm lifespans so dramatically.

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247(19)30858-7

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cookie Monster
13 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Yes, its mTOR (m is for the mammalian version) inhibition if it perfectly translates across to our species.

We can mimic that in our diets although not to the same degree as can be achieved by mutating our genes. Sugar/carb starvation, caffeine, resveratrol, various diabetes drugs, low oxygen, dehydration, etc.

I wonder if its possible to do alternate day eating where we eat carbs one day but starve the next. And on our eating days also make them our dehydration days. Mmm.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

Nnicolette

Im confused... So being diabetic is supposed to make you live longer? Lies.

Cookie Monster
8 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

Im confused... So being diabetic is supposed to make you live longer? Lies.

There are two types of diabetes.

Type 1: A person no longer produces insulin meaning they require injections to regulate their blood sugar levels. This is a dangerous condition without insulin injections where eating something with anything more than a few teaspoons of sugar in it risks death.

Type 2: A person has lost their sensitivity to insulin requiring higher levels of it which are injected to regulate their blood sugar levels. Without it their blood sugar can become dangerously high risking death.

Obviously it is very hard to live life as a diabetic without insulin injections with there being no serious risk to life. 

In the experiments they have broken the link between insulin and the TOR pathways in the worms which sense dietary consumption. Therefore TOR remains inhibited extending their lifespan as the worms cells think they are going through a period of starvation. The worms are not diabetic, or mimicking diabetes.

A way to inhibit mTOR in humans (which is our version of it) would be no sugar/carbs in our diets. That is not stopping our production of insulin or the same as diabetes. Its very low insulin production by our bodies because there is very little glycogen in our bloodstreams. Our insulin production is in balance with our bodies and because it is low our mTOR pathways are inhibited.

In principle the Type 1 diabetic could experience an extended lifespan if they forgo insulin injections and somehow manage not to die from the sugar/carbs consumed in their diets. That diet would be weird, it would be a meal replacement powder with no sugar/carbs in it.  And anybody could do that to get the same extended lifespan, as even a healthy person would be producing no insulin on that type of diet.

The problem with your reasoning is you think Type 1 diabetics dont receive insulin via injection.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

Nnicolette
18 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

There are two types of diabetes.

Type 1: A person no longer produces insulin meaning they require injections to regulate their blood sugar levels. This is a dangerous condition without insulin injections where eating something with anything more than a few teaspoons of sugar in it risks death.

Type 2: A person has lost their sensitivity to insulin requiring higher levels of it which are injected to regulate their blood sugar levels. Without it their blood sugar can become dangerously high risking death.

Obviously it is very hard to live life as a diabetic without insulin injections with there being no serious risk to life. 

In the experiments they have broken the link between insulin and the TOR pathways in the worms which sense dietary consumption. Therefore TOR remains inhibited extending their lifespan as the worms cells think they are going through a period of starvation. The worms are not diabetic, or mimicking diabetes.

A way to inhibit mTOR in humans (which is our version of it) would be no sugar/carbs in our diets. That is not stopping our production of insulin or the same as diabetes. Its very low insulin production by our bodies because there is very little glycogen in our bloodstreams. Our insulin production is in balance with our bodies and because it is low our mTOR pathways are inhibited.

In principle the Type 1 diabetic could experience an extended lifespan if they forgo insulin injections and somehow manage not to die from the sugar/carbs consumed in their diets. That diet would be weird, it would be a meal replacement powder with no sugar/carbs in it.  And anybody could do that to get the same extended lifespan, as even a healthy person would be producing no insulin on that type of diet.

The problem with your reasoning is you think Type 1 diabetics dont receive insulin via injection.

Ok i was following up to the part where you said i don't think diabetics dont recieve insulin via injection... Of course i am well aware of that.  The article said that lifespans were extended by turning off insulin production, so i equated that with diabetes. Why is everyone on this site so caught up with telling me that i think some nonsense instead of reading what i wrote. Well thanks for the explanation regardless, even if it had to include the ever present narrow viewed projection of what you say i think. 

Also why powder? I don't like sugar or carbs anyways, but why would choking down powder help? I would think you would live longer making it a shake at least if it must be ground. Why forego water?

• Like 1

Cookie Monster
18 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Ok i was following up to the part where you said i don't think diabetics dont recieve insulin via injection... Of course i am well aware of that.  The article said that lifespans were extended by turning off insulin production, so i equated that with diabetes. Why is everyone on this site so caught up with telling me that i think some nonsense instead of reading what i wrote. Well thanks for the explanation regardless, even if it had to include the ever present narrow viewed projection of what you say i think. 

Also why powder? I don't like sugar or carbs anyways, but why would choking down powder help? I would think you would live longer making it a shake at least if it must be ground. Why forego water?

My understanding isn't that insulin was turned off, it was they meddled in the worm genetics do that it didnt activate their TOR pathways responsible for metabolism. In essence, the worm thinks its undergoing starvation at a cellular level despite being on a normal diet.

Meal replacement powders exist which are nutritionally complete but have very low or no sugar/carbs. An example being: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutrition-Replacement-Protein-Strawberry-Servings/dp/B00E105V3Q. There will also be ones where someone can get it below 14g carb of which is 3.3g sugar per serving. PHD is the lowest meal replacement powder I have seen at 0.8g sugar per serving. The ideal would be zero for both carbs and sugar.

With meal replacement powder you dont eat powder, you put it in water or skimmed milk depending on the brand. There are also super fruit anti-oxidant powders and black coffee for anti-oxidants because those arent in meal replacement powders. Obviously that linked meal replacement is for dieting which while being nutritionally complete lacks the kcals someone would need in normal life. Otherwise they would experience dramatic weight loss. So fat would need to be the energy source used with it to avoid any insulin spike.

I did another threat recently about ancient diets saying that the main staple was protein and meat. Thats because farming grains hadn't been invented yet, and fruit and vegetables were only available for a few months each year in the wild. That would have been a very low sugar/carb diet for about 6 out of 12 months every year. 

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

Cookie Monster

Mean replacement powder in water (needs all daily vitamins and minerals and nutrients, and as close to zero sugar and carbs that you can get) 

+ Lots of lard or ghee or clarified butter (fat as the main source of energy)

+ Super fruit anti-oxidant powder and black coffee (the benefits of a plant based diet without the sugar and carbs)

= Living centuries

Edited by RabidMongoose

joc

It doesn't matter what we eat or drink or how we exercise....what kills us long term is Gravity...I don't think there is much of a solution for that.

jbondo

Whatever! We all have to admit, our real interest lies in extending the human lifespan. This is where we hit a wall. There is never going to be a time when the average person is given some sort of gene therapy, or a drug, etc... to make them live for 150 years or more. This would result in gross overpopulation and the elites in control of everything seem to believe (IMO) there are already far too many humans. If something was ever available, we'd never hear about it. Oh, we'll always get these advances of the future articles, but it's like a concept car. Never going to come to market. In fact, if we were ever privy to such a thing existing, utter chaos would ensue.due to the fact that only the super rich could afford it.

Sure, there are other reasons for such worm research, but we all know it's meant to one day extend to us. Then again, I read about the newly discovered super earth. Now, if we were in a position to populate another planet, then I suppose the tech would be available to Joe the plumber. Outside of that, don't hold your breath.

Here's the kicker: If it hasn't already happened, some lab somewhere will figure out how to manipulate DNA in order to have a newborn live for 200 or so years. This is/will be highly guarded and we'll never know about it (as eluded to above). Frankly, it doesn't even sound like science fiction anymore.

• Like 1