Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK should consider referendum on the Royals

Eldorado

"A Labour government should consider offering a referendum on the future shape of the monarchy, the Labour leadership hopeful Clive Lewis has argued, as he unveiled a radical policy platform based around proportional representation and working with other parties.

"In a speech formally launching his campaign, the Norwich South MP said the crisis over the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s future showed the need for a reconsideration of the monarchy’s role.

"“Why not have a referendum in this country on the future of the royal family? We’re a democracy. I’d rather see us as citizens than as subjects in the 21st century. Let’s talk about what a modern state looks like and what the role of the royal family would be in that,” he said."

Full monty at the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/10/clive-lewis-labour-leadership-must-push-proportional-representation

And Politics Home: https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/108978/clive-lewis-calls-referendum-future-royal-family

• Like 3

I won't lose any sleep if I never hear God Save The Queen again, and I bet Madge feels the same.

• Haha 7

Yes, we haven't had nearly enough blinkin' Votes lately, have we. :no: Why not have one whether we want to accept Donald Trump as leader of the world as well? He's arguably moré important, rightly or wrongly. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, acute said:

I won't lose any sleep if I never hear God Save The Queen again, and I bet Madge feels the same.

You want to try this version. It sounds much better in German, More oompah.

• Haha 3

"A Labour government"  Ha, no need for the royals to worry just yet then. Not a big fan of them but they are a symbol of this country that needs to be preserved, the likes of Harry and Mehgan and other minor royals should be more self sustainable though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Clive (Cromwell) Lewis is a complete S*** Head ,The Royals bring in loads of tourist money , and spend a lot of time doing and aiding Charity work what has he ever done for Britain . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

In a speech formally launching his campaign, the Norwich South MP said thecrisis over the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s future showed the need for a reconsideration of the monarchy’s role

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/10/clive-lewis-labour-leadership-must-push-proportional-representation

What we should be considering is next time a royal wants to marry a foreigner, marry them in their country or get her /his family to pay half.

The cost from the British tax payer was £3m. Now they want to leave.

I have no qualms about them wanting to live where ever they like, but she was quite happy for Britain to pay for everything and now she wants to go. 

We do make money from tourists here because of the royal family, but she is not going to be here.

Now how about Megans family cough up part of the money so the tax payer do not feel as if once again, we have been taken  for a ride! 

Things do move on, no disputing that, I do not think the royals should go, but I do not think the tax payer should pay a penny towards them anymore, especially if the partner is from abroad and does not contribute anything from their side. 

As a tax payer, I want a refund.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Meh.. storm in a teacup. Labour politician with ZERO chance of ever being in a position to influence anything has mouthed off to make what he THINKS is a "populist" statement. 

Personally, I think he has shot himself in the foot. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

What we should be considering is next time a royal wants to marry a foreigner, marry them in their country or get her /his family to pay half.

The cost from the British tax payer was £3m. Now they want to leave.

That's a good point. Doesn't the bride's father usually pay for the wedding?

We should've tied him up at gunpoint to get his bank card PINs, emptied his accounts, then sold his furniture, his house, and his car. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We should ask ourselves what the Royal Family are supposed to represent.  This scene from 'King Ralph' is a good answer:

Q - What is it that a King does all day?

A - Scarcely a minute of your day is unaccounted for.  Nevertheless, what you do is not as important as what you are.

Q - What am I?

A - To be the King of England is a responsibility like no other on Earth. You must become a symbol of all that is best about England.  An embodiment of our history, our culture, our morality, our pride of achievement.  In short, our ideal of civilization.  You must, in the harsh light of public scrutiny, exhibit all of our virtues and none of our shortcomings.

Q - I thought all I was supposed to do was dress up and wave.  I don't even know what our virtues are.

A - You will learn soon enough.  I'm afraid it's a God's burden to bear.  Unfortunately, it must be borne by a man.  It is not enough to be King.  You must look and act like one.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, acute said:

We should've tied him up at gunpoint to get his bank card PINs, emptied his accounts, then sold his furniture, his house, and his car. :yes:

Ooops.. please ignore.. can't confused between Brides father and Grooms father. 

Edited by RoofGardener

4 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

You want to try this version. It sounds much better in German, More oompah.

geez that creepy hearing it in German. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, acute said:

Then drawn and quater him :)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Yes, we haven't had nearly enough blinkin' Votes lately, have we. :no: Why not have one whether we want to accept Donald Trump as leader of the world as well? He's arguably moré important, rightly or wrongly. 

I think we can spare him if you want a foul mouth king, well at least he thinks he's a king.:D

peace

3 hours ago, acute said:

I think him filling for bankruptcy a few years after spending all his lottery win was a clue the father of the bride was not going to contribute towards the cake, let alone the wedding.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I think him filling for bankruptcy a few years after spending all his lottery win was a clue the father of the bride was not going to contribute towards the cake, let alone the wedding.

Oh, I missed the lottery story. How much was it?  Did he squander it all on liquor and broads? (like they do in America)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

Then drawn and quater him :)

We do things the traditional way here in England.

After we've hung, drawn, and quartered him, his head goes on a spike outside Westminster Abbey. :tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, acute said:

Oh, I missed the lottery story. How much was it?  Did he squander it all on liquor and broads? (like they do in America)

Markle won $750,000 in the California State Lottery in 1990, but he ultimately spent all the money

It does not say how he spent all the money on liquor,  broads, cars, 3 x double quarter ponder big mac meals, and take away large deep.pan, stuff crust,  extra ever re thing pizzas.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

It does not say how he spent all the money on liquor,  broads, cars, 3 x double quarter ponder big mac meals, and take away large deep.pan, stuff crust,  extra ever re thing pizzas.

Plus a family pizza and a diet Coke 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, acute said:

It was a Lucky dip :-),The lottery story

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, acute said:

@freetoroam

Sorry, I couldn't understand any of that.

You've gone into Dumbledore mode. :hmm:

;)

What did you not understand about him winning the lottery and spending it all on food, food, more food and food?

Ps: the 7.23 which was supposed to arrive on platform 4, will be arriving on platform 2 instead, but it will not be leaving platform 2 as it has been cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

'UK should consider referendum on the Royals'

Why? so they can ignore that one for three and a half years too?

On second thoughts, it might give that bloody awful  GIna Miller woman something to do.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm for the Royals, they're a 'dead centre' where everyone else is just after a power grab. If the Commons has failed (which it has, they can't do food) then altering the other two tiers isn't going to make a difference. El Presidente? No.

• Like 1