Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crate moves on its own in shop

Eldorado

"This is the spooky moment a shop worker fell into a supermarket shelf after a crate mysteriously moved away from her.

"The owner of Bourtreehill Supermarket, in Irvine, Scotland, claims a ghost pulled the step out from underneath the woman's foot, causing her to fall over."

At the UK Mirror: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shop-owner-catches-ghost-cctv-21249329

At Twitter (right at the beginning):

Some gentleman him, eh?

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

It looks like she moved it with her own foot?

• Like 7

Anyone know if there is a way to see this in slow-motion. 

Papameter     50% Paranormal     50% Klutz or Hoax

Influenced by the fact of a claimed resident ghost Stacy. If this incident stood alone it probably wouldn't have gone any further.

• Thanks 2

She does move it. Clearly shows it.

How the heck can the owner not see that, ITS ON THE VIDEO FFS! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seriously looks like either:

Someone looking for compo so stages  a trip.

The owner and the alleged shopping stages this to get hits,  but have failed big time in the acting and directing department.

• Like 1

She did move it. She totally misjudged the step. She was looking up at the shelves and not at where she was going.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4

I'd be getting rid of both workers,the girl is too clumsy and the guy is a thoughtless ----.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Influenced by the fact of a claimed resident ghost Stacy. If this incident stood alone it probably wouldn't have gone any further.

You seriously can't give that a 50% paranormal reading.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Grab the bottom bar, move it to zero seconds and hold it there. Now jiggle it a tiny bit back and forth without letting go. I won't ruin the surprise for you but the answer is there. There's no point in me saying what's happened as I would be nay said no matter the answer.

Definitely looks like she nudged it with the side or toe of her shoe to cause it to slide away from her.  Self inflicted IMO.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Grab the bottom bar, move it to zero seconds and hold it there. Now jiggle it a tiny bit back and forth without letting go. I won't ruin the surprise for you but the answer is there. There's no point in me saying what's happened as I would be nay said no matter the answer.

Thank you for the advice on the Hankenhunter viewing method. Using that method I do see movement of the crate prior to any physical contact with the foot.

Prior to the Hankenhunter method I had wrote:

The Papameter has now been updated with the new observation:

Papameter   60% Paranormal   40% Klutz or Hoax

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, openozy said:

You seriously can't give that a 50% paranormal reading.

Serious as a heart attack. In fact the meter went up slightly in a more recent post directly above!

• Haha 1

So now ghosts get the blame for being clumsy. Ok.

I'm more interested in the guy that wouldn't help. Maybe he wouldn't help since he hates her because she does crap like this all the time and sucks to work with. Or maybe he's just a dick.

Edited by moonman

• 2 months later...

Watched it a few times it moved before her foot got close watch it frame by frame. She didn’t kick it.

On 1/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, Kenemet said:

I'm thinking that the floor was wet and the owner is trying to avoid a lawsuit by claiming "ghost" and not "oops.  wet floor."

Could be!

I wonder if the shopper would have a leg to stand on (unsure if pun intended or not) for the fact that the crate was there and essentially unattended/not placed somewhere safer.
A plastic milk crate on that kind of floor is naturally very susceptible to lateral movement if force is not carefully placed vertically.

She shouldn’t have tried to step onto it, but it was there. 

And yes the real mystery here is how long it took the worker to react, and why they didn’t offer assistance when the person was still on the floor. What the hell!

I have a few problems with this one. The skid with the pop on it at the end, and the lip under the cooler. There are couple ways to stage it easily. That guys response doesn’t surprise me. To many people these days forget common manners. 

It does look like it moved without her foot touching it, but then it also looks like it moves again as she is falling.  Personal opinion its a staged incident.  

Edited by TashaMarie

On 3/21/2020 at 11:03 AM, Rollo said:

Watched it a few times it moved before her foot got close watch it frame by frame. She didn’t kick it.

No, that is NOT correct.  The frame rate is very slow, and in the very first frame where the step begins to move, her foot is so close that it definitely could have touched it and begun that movement.  And she had clearly already overbalanced by that time.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

She sure did. Not much mystery to this one. Tried to use the upturned plastic crate as a step stool and didn't get directly over it enough before trying to step up, so she got about halfway elevated before pushing the crate away from her. Down she goes. Hard plastic on linoleum or painted concrete floors has zero grip and slides easy. I've done something very close to this at a customers house once while rewiring a ceiling light.

Actually, I just went at it frame by frame, and it was moving before she put her foot on it.  That doesn't rule out string, but if there was no string involved, that's a pretty good poult.

This could have been done by someone behind the cooler moving the crate from underneath, or by a small string tied to it offscreen and pulled. That means she would have faked her fall with theatrics.

Edited by Green Wasp

On 3/28/2020 at 3:15 AM, Tuco's Gas said:

Actually, it wasn't.

Go frame by frame over the first 1 sec.  The crate moves well before her foot.  I can't unsee it but, if you don't, well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

On 3/28/2020 at 1:48 AM, Alchopwn said:

Actually, I just went at it frame by frame, and it was moving before she put her foot on it.  That doesn't rule out string, but if there was no string involved, that's a pretty good poult.

?????

Could you give a time reference?  On the exact same frame that shows the first movement, her foot is so close as to be indistinguishable from touching it.  And I trust you aware of the issues of frame rate versus frame duration, and also the problem of progressive scan?  Do you know what they mean when trying to analyse this type of footage?

Here is the last frame before any crate movement is seen:
Frame1.jpg.b1c828b88044403c7ca6cb60c0a8147c.jpg

and here is the first frame where movement is seen:
Frame2.jpg.8010197ce3ad31f529e0c5f48426b161.jpg

Two things to note - see how much movement of her foot takes place between those two frames?  Her foot was moving fast (note blurring) and could have actually hit and even moved back slightly, before the latter image was scanned or during the scan period for that frame.  That's what I meant about understanding the gap due to slow frame rate, and the exposure duration for the frame.  You CANNOT know for sure what happened between frames, PLUS the frames are scanned over a finite period of time, so what you see at the top of the frame will not have happened at exactly the same time as the bottom.  This means an uneducated guess about it *looking* as if she hadn't kicked it, is misleading and likely to be wrong.

It works both ways - I can't be sure that it wasn't moving slightly before she hit it, BUT NEITHER CAN YOU.  All we can say for certain is that her foot was very close to the crate during the milliseconds when the crate began to move.  And it was WAY too close to dismiss her foot as the cause.

Analysing slow frame rate footage, especially from cheap, low res cameras is VERY difficult and there are numerous traps, one of which you fell into.  Please do some deeper research.

• Thanks 1

The edge of her shoe hit the box. It was a misstep that caused her to fall. Nothing paranormal about this. 

• Like 1