Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Paralysis

Fabula Omnium

I've been getting multiple different answers. I just wanted to see if anyone on here has experienced it and if so what transpired. My personal experience was like this.

I was headed to a family reunion in a remote part of the country was a refreshing visit during the summer. Me and my family went to stay with a relative in the hills of the town. Had to say her home was really pretty so quiet it was sort of deafening. Had her own business out of her house had a decent amount acres for land had deer running around. Yet for some reason after getting in her home i felt a bit uncomfortable sort of "sick", i couldn't explain it so i just chalked it up to all the traveling. After sometime trying to hangout eat some chips cook on the bbq, the feeling didn't go away. Our relative we were staying explained her son had died over a year ago. Ever since his death things would move or be pushed off the island in her home. I encouraged my mother at the time maybe we should stay elsewhere but we didn't have any options but she contemplated it. Night fell i went to bed pretty early. As cliche as the films make it i woke up around 2-3 am, moon was full and bright peering through the window. I had no explanation why i was up i glanced around i could feel my skin crawling. I'm a reasonable person, i don't have an pre-diagnosed sleeping issues healthy as a horse. This was when i went to move but i couldn't; i could tell something was in the room seeing something shifting just out of the periphery of my eyes. I tried to speak but couldn't i could feel a "weight" press down, i actually started to cry cause i didn't know what the hell was going on. At some point i fell asleep after waking up and leaving i rushed out. i never ha another experience like this either before or after. I never told my mother of the experience until years later. I also until some social media sharing glancing at what some people post i found out about the term "Sleep paralysis". I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar experience. Thanks. 

Yeah, many of us have had similar experiences. I can more than understand how you felt at the time. 

I personally woke up one day to a black cloud at the end of my bed. I had never been more afraid in my life. I also had my first involuntary out of body experience at the time. Long story. 

I have only had SP a small handful of times. A lot of people only have it once. 

• Thanks 2

I have only ever had one experience of SP to date.  Maybe ten or twelve years ago.  Black mass on the bed next to me and one at the foot of the bed.  Was sleeping alone as husband away on business trip.  Heavy pressure on chest and not able to make a noise as best I could tell.  But - I thrashed my legs for all they were worth in an attempt to free myself and kept trying to scream out.  Eventually, probably after less than half a minute, I did, and suddenly sat up and black masses disappeared.  Bed covers were smooth and unruffled.  Might have thought I was thrashing about but clearly wasn’t.

One thing I should perhaps mention is that I was aware of this phenomenon before it happened to me, and was aware what was happening while it was in progress, but it didn’t make it any the less frightening at the time.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:09 PM, Fabula Omnium said:

I've been getting multiple different answers. I just wanted to see if anyone on here has experienced it and if so what transpired. My personal experience was like this.

I was headed to a family reunion in a remote part of the country was a refreshing visit during the summer. Me and my family went to stay with a relative in the hills of the town. Had to say her home was really pretty so quiet it was sort of deafening. Had her own business out of her house had a decent amount acres for land had deer running around. Yet for some reason after getting in her home i felt a bit uncomfortable sort of "sick", i couldn't explain it so i just chalked it up to all the traveling. After sometime trying to hangout eat some chips cook on the bbq, the feeling didn't go away. Our relative we were staying explained her son had died over a year ago. Ever since his death things would move or be pushed off the island in her home. I encouraged my mother at the time maybe we should stay elsewhere but we didn't have any options but she contemplated it. Night fell i went to bed pretty early. As cliche as the films make it i woke up around 2-3 am, moon was full and bright peering through the window. I had no explanation why i was up i glanced around i could feel my skin crawling. I'm a reasonable person, i don't have an pre-diagnosed sleeping issues healthy as a horse. This was when i went to move but i couldn't; i could tell something was in the room seeing something shifting just out of the periphery of my eyes. I tried to speak but couldn't i could feel a "weight" press down, i actually started to cry cause i didn't know what the hell was going on. At some point i fell asleep after waking up and leaving i rushed out. i never ha another experience like this either before or after. I never told my mother of the experience until years later. I also until some social media sharing glancing at what some people post i found out about the term "Sleep paralysis". I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar experience. Thanks. 

Were you a teenager, maybe 13?  The mother was still hanging on to her son and you picked up her grief and translated it to an experience.  That is my take, but I have never experienced sleep paralysis so I do not know what you really experienced.  I have had a lot of paranormal experiences but nothing like that.  The feelings you describe before you went to sleep are what I am basing my opinion on.  Just opinion, You need to decide what meaning to give the experience as it is yours and no one else can tell you what it means.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:40 AM, Desertrat56 said:

Were you a teenager, maybe 13?  The mother was still hanging on to her son and you picked up her grief and translated it to an experience.  That is my take, but I have never experienced sleep paralysis so I do not know what you really experienced.  I have had a lot of paranormal experiences but nothing like that.  The feelings you describe before you went to sleep are what I am basing my opinion on.  Just opinion, You need to decide what meaning to give the experience as it is yours and no one else can tell you what it means.

I was young but as mentioned I did feel uneasy prior to her telling us her experiences.  Afterwards it just reaffirmed it. Im pretty reasonable even at that age. It's not say im not empathetic but I just didn't attach to it in the sense you described. The experience itself I never had ever again. 

That sounds like textbook SP.

I've had it myself at various locations, along with the feelings of something in the room, but never had the "pressure on chest" part. I never felt like it was anything but my stressed mind playing tricks. I haven't had one in a long time, I suspect it's because I eat healthier and drink a lot less since those days.

Edited by moonman

1 hour ago, moonman said:

That sounds like textbook SP.

I've had it myself at various locations, along with the feelings of something in the room, but never had the "pressure on chest" part. I never felt like it was anything but my stressed mind playing tricks. I haven't had one in a long time, I suspect it's because I eat healthier and drink a lot less since those days.

I had the pressure aspect. I felt a weight pushing me down. I could barely breathe. I shifted my eyes around to see what was going on. I was at somepoint able to move but I didn't leave the bed I just fell asleep. It wasnt like i expected or wanted anything to happen. She described things going on. Mugs being tossed off the kitchen island, lights going on then off for no reason, cold spots. Now I never experienced anything to that extent. She was under the impression it was her son. After what I experienced I dont I believe theres something there; giving her a false sense of comfort.

When I was around 10 yrs old this happened numerous times. I told parents half awake 'there's something pressing on my chest'. It feels like you're in between two worlds. Very uncomfortable and very strange. It sounds like you were previously stressed out and outside of your comfort zone. Perhaps an isolated incident however I'd seek out medical attention if happens again. Sleep disorders are under reported. Most are hesitant to report strange experiences to doctor. It doesn't mean you're crazy.

Edited by Bed of chaos

I concur with the SP suggestion. Although I have never been unable to move or the chest pressure. I have awoken to feeling like I was on a cheap hotel vibrating bed.

13 hours ago, Karl05301 said:

I concur with the SP suggestion. Although I have never been unable to move or the chest pressure. I have awoken to feeling like I was on a cheap hotel vibrating bed.

That’s actually a really easy path to being able to project. If you are interested in that sort of thing. 

19 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

That’s actually a really easy path to being able to project. If you are interested in that sort of thing. 

I have had a few OBE’s when I Was in my 30’s. And some other types of experiences that are down right mind bending. Where the only way to describe it, is crossing dimensions. The problem with this kind of experience is there’s no way to prove it was real or perceptional. Unless you ad a little remote viewing to prove it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Karl05301 said:

I have had a few OBE’s when I Was in my 30’s. And some other types of experiences that are down right mind bending. Where the only way to describe it, is crossing dimensions. The problem with this kind of experience is there’s no way to prove it was real or perceptional. Unless you ad a little remote viewing to prove it.

I love talking about and considering wether or not projection is a real thing. Or if it’s just happening in ones head. 

Really though, at the end of the day it makes little difference to me. I would have spent just as much time trying to accomplish and master it either way. It’s like living a second magical life. 

26 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I love talking about and considering wether or not projection is a real thing. Or if it’s just happening in ones head. 

Really though, at the end of the day it makes little difference to me. I would have spent just as much time trying to accomplish and master it either way. It’s like living a second magical life. 

I don’t know if you’ve read my other posts/rants about the different things that make me different. But just in case you didn’t. Since I can’t take meds. I had to find some way to get past pain. I tried several avenues. Meditation, pranic healing, visualization bio feedback, and Qi gong. I ended up using part and parcel of all to keep me going. It’s pretty much been an on going thing since my first injury. The martial aspect really helped with focus even more so than the hyper focus Autism gives me. Kind of like a super power now.

I have spent time in Japan, the Philippines, and Thailand studying many forms of discipline to maintain control over impulse through relaxation and focus.

Had a few experiences, one with a full on shadow person encounter. 

Sometimes you can feel pressed down into the bed or like something is jumping up or sitting on the bed, other times if you are on your side it can feel like someone squeezing you really hard.

Simple banishment makes it stop. I used the LBRP.

It's good for other phenomena as well.

Edited by GlitterRose
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have had one experience I was in my late teens at the time.  I do not remembering seeing a black cloud or anything out of the usual, instead I had been sleeping and woke up thinking I had heard my name being called when I went to get up I could not move.  It felt like I was being held down not sure how long it lasted but it was a scary experience.

• 11 months later...

I think this might be fairly common, because it used to happen to me. I'd wake up and something was scaring me. I don't even remember what. So I tried to get up out of the bed, and I couldn't move. I had several of these dreams over the course of maybe a month. I'd remember the dream in the morning. But one time, I had this same dream, but apparently I was not awake when I was trying to get up and couldn't move. It seemed real, but then I actually woke up for real and realized that I was not awake before, but still dreaming. I've also had other dreams that were like dreams inside of dreams. So I'd think I woke up, wasn't really awake and then woke up again, for real. It seems this only happens during unpleasant or really weird dreams. 

Edited by Hyperionxvii