Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Over 1,000 cars torched across France

itsnotoutthere

Over 1,000 cars torched across France as New Year's Eve arrests rise

France saw a jump in arrests on New Year's Eve as well as an increase in the number of cars torched by vandals, a ritual among revellers in the country's high-rise suburbs.

The number of vehicles set alight on the night of December 31st climbed from 935 a year ago to 1,031, while arrests rose from 456 to 510, the interior ministry said on Monday.

Violence also marred celebrations in the Paris suburb of Champigny-sur-Marne, where two police officers were attacked by a large group of people at a party.

French President Emmanuel Macron took to Twitter to denounce the "cowardly and criminal lynching of police officers doing their duty" and warned that the culprits would be "found and arrested".

"I regret that incidents like yesterday can happen but overall people were able to enjoy New Year's eve in a peaceful manner," Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said Monday.

Some 140,000 security and emergency forces were deployed across France on New Year's Eve.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180102/increase-in-new-years-eve-car-burnings-across-france

• Confused 4
  • Sad 4

This has to be the strangest expression of idiocy I've ever seen.  Who says, I'm bored...I know, let's burn other people's property!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Destroying a strangers car is is a yearly ritual among the enlightened of France eh? 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Having seen quite a few battered French cars on the road it should probably be considered a people powered road safety campaign. :tu:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

France saw a jump in arrests on New Year's Eve as well as an increase in the number of cars torched by vandals, a ritual among revellers in the country's high-rise suburbs.

The number of vehicles set alight on the night of December 31st climbed from 935 a year ago to 1,031, while arrests rose from 456 to 510, the interior ministry said on Monday.

Violence also marred celebrations in the Paris suburb of Champigny-sur-Marne, where two police officers were attacked by a large group of people at a party.

French President Emmanuel Macron took to Twitter to denounce the "cowardly and criminal lynching of police officers doing their duty" and warned that the culprits would be "found and arrested".

"I regret that incidents like yesterday can happen but overall people were able to enjoy New Year's eve in a peaceful manner," Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said Monday.

Some 140,000 security and emergency forces were deployed across France on New Year's Eve.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180102/increase-in-new-years-eve-car-burnings-across-france

What can you expect, it's France, I mean what else is there to do there, oh I have an idea why not jump off the Eiffel Tower now THAT will make a statement, along with a big stain.B)

peace

Edited by Manwon Lender

I think new years eve in Paris is the last place anyone should be.  My friend's daughter and her college friends went to Paris and had to rescue one of the girls in the group from Nigerians in the crowd who pushed through and grabbed her.  The only thing that save her was that she was holding hands with a friend and that friend grabbed another and they hung on to her as they were dragged through the crowd.  That happened in the 80's so I think cars being torched is just a ramping up from the crazy chaos that has been going on for decades.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Destroying a strangers car is is a yearly ritual among the enlightened of France eh? 

I just watched a French movie with my sister about a homophobic father abusing his gay teenager worse than any American redneck.

It gave me a whole different view of them.

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

I just watched a French movie with my sister about a homophobic father abusing his gay teenager worse than any American redneck.

How old was it?

Just now, OverSword said:

How old was it?

It had to be recent the kid dressed like my grandson.

I don't even remember the name of it. But if you want to see it I'll ask Ru when she gets home. 

1 hour ago, Piney said:

They have a strange way of protesting the froggies. 

The rioting has been going on for months the gilets jaunes have never stopped, they just don't show it in the media well not in the UK anyway, because were told the EU is a wonderful thing.

2 days ago.

6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

What can you expect, it's France, I mean what else is there to do there, oh I have an idea why not jump off the Eiffel Tower now THAT will make a statement, along with a big stain.B)

peace

"peace"?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Piney said:

As a French person, I would never watch such a movie. And I don't know any other French people in my environment who would.

Apparently, you assume that any French adult would enjoy watching such a movie, "since it's French". If so, why such a hasty generalization?

Edited by ant0n

6 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

That's old news (January 2, 2018).

1,457 torched cars last New Year night, according to this source:

https://www.ladepeche.fr/2020/01/08/nuit-du-nouvel-an-1457-voitures-brulees-en-france-triste-nouveau-record,8647821.php

Edited by ant0n
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ant0n said:

That's old news (January 2, 2018).

1,457 torched cars last New Year night, according to this source:

https://www.ladepeche.fr/2020/01/08/nuit-du-nouvel-an-1457-voitures-brulees-en-france-triste-nouveau-record,8647821.php

I cant understand if you are pointing this out with pride or shame for your country. Or more likely French indifference...?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Professor Buzzkill said:

I cant understand if you are pointing this out with pride or shame for your country. Or more likely French indifference...?

I just needed to provide updated data. As simple as that.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ant0n said:

As a French person, I would never watch such a movie. And I don't know any other French people in my environment who would.

Apparently, you assume that any French adult would enjoy watching such a movie, "since it's French". If so, why such a hasty generalization?

Why not? Racism, bias and homophobia exist everywhere. I think that was the movie's point. I was just shocked that it was French. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ant0n said:

"peace"?

Yes after they jump they will fine the Peace they deserve.

Peace

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Yes after they jump they will fine the Peace they deserve.

Peace

May you find Peace soon too.

For real.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Piney said:

Why not? Racism, bias and homophobia exist everywhere. I think that was the movie's point. I was just shocked that it was French. 

You first typed: " It gave me a whole different view of them. " (them = the French).

Now you type you were just shocked that movie was French. I understand you had other expectations.

Edited by ant0n

19 minutes ago, ant0n said:

You first typed: " It gave me a whole different view of them. " (them = the French).

Now you type you were just shocked that movie was French. I understand you had other expectations.

The movie wasn't "anti-gay" it was just a sad movie and yes I don't expect any European to act like a American redneck. 

although the hominids I hung with in Yorkshire came close.:lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ant0n said:

May you find Peace soon too.

For real.

Honestly I am at Peace, I don't have to destroy people property to find satisfaction. If you choose to defend that that's your moral high ground. My comments are not an attack on the French People, only the idiots who have nothing better to do than to act in a Anachronistic fashion to prove whatever point they are trying to make.

Peace

For Real

11 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Honestly I am at Peace, I don't have to destroy people property to find satisfaction. If you choose to defend that that's your moral high ground. My comments are not an attack on the French People, only the idiots who have nothing better to do than to act in a Anachronistic fashion to prove whatever point they are trying to make.

Peace

For Real

"Peace

For Real":

I like it better.

May you spread genuine Peace until your last breath and beyond.