Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

Our mysterious moon

UM-Bot

Many amazing facts have come to light in recent years with respect to our mysterious moon. Books have been written which have covered the subject in detail and any researcher who has followed this trail cannot help but be astounded by the information which has surfaced. It appears that the moon itself shouldn't actually be where it is, and all the data regarding the moon's size and its distance from the sun and from the Earth, have confounded scientists and researchers alike.

More: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/column.php?id=333756

ChrLzs

Well, 'J.P Robinson', amongst the first couple of claims you make, you say that the Moon is "precisely 400 times smaller than the Sun".

No, it isn't.  The ratio of Sun/Moon size is ~403.

Then you say it is "exactly 400 times closer to the Earth".

No, it isn't.  The ratio of the Sun/Moon distance is ~389.

J.P, your 'exactness' and 'preciseness' is woeful.  This is just bad numerology (is there any good numerology....?)

Please don't make claims that are exaggerated and untrue.  I won't waste my time on further corrections- making two egregious errors like that right at the start, tends to indicate what type of  'article' this is.

UM, can you bounce this sort of stuff off an astronomer before posting?  Where's Waspie?  :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

joc
On 1/16/2020 at 1:01 AM, ChrLzs said:

I won't waste my time on further corrections- making two egregious errors like that right at the start, tends to indicate what type of  'article' this is.

NASA astronauts have tested the Moon's density on several occasions using seismic equipment and have reported officially that the Moon rings like a bell when struck.

Apparently the rest of the article leads into the Hollow Moon Theory. :rolleyes:

NASA interview

mm: What do you think about hollow Moon theory? Is there any evidence that confirm this?

Renee_Weber: None of our results support that theory.

• Like 2

Robotic Jew

I wish moon tourism were a thing. I'd love to go up there and spend a "day" or so. 

• Like 3

jbondo

Old thread, but not to me.

I've seen most of these theories before and it is interesting reading. I don't like to close my mind off in denial, but on the other hand, can't just swallow nonsense either.

Anyway, as i said, it was interesting....all the way up until I saw the name "John Lear", who IMO is a crackpot. I've had run in's with him before. He once thought me a spy. LOL! This is a guy who believes every planet in our solar system is inhabited. It's no wonder that even Bob Lazar stopped talking to him years ago..

I don't think the moon being hollow is all that far fetched. And when I say hollow, I mean possibly cavernous.

bison
Posted (edited)

The distance of the Earth, and thus the Moon, from the Sun varies considerably, between about 91 and 95 million miles. The Moon also varies in its distance from the Earth. Because of these facts, the apparent size ratio of the Sun and Moon varies quite a bit. At times the Moon doesn't fully cover the Sun, during what would otherwise be a total eclipse. A ring of the Sun's surface is seen all around the Moon.

Judging by the way the Moon moves, its 'moment of inertia', it must be nearly solid, throughout. The way seismic waves travel through the Moon confirms the existence of a small dense core, with most of the rest of the interior of the Moon of  moderate, consistent density. We know of some caves on the Moon, formed by voids in lava flows, but these must be negligible in volume, compared to the bulk of the Moon.  

Edited by bison
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ChrLzs
On 5/6/2020 at 3:08 AM, jbondo said:

I don't think the moon being hollow is all that far fetched. And when I say hollow, I mean possibly cavernous.

As bison pointed out, physics says "no".

• Like 1