Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Our mysterious moon

UM-Bot

Many amazing facts have come to light in recent years with respect to our mysterious moon. Books have been written which have covered the subject in detail and any researcher who has followed this trail cannot help but be astounded by the information which has surfaced. It appears that the moon itself shouldn't actually be where it is, and all the data regarding the moon's size and its distance from the sun and from the Earth, have confounded scientists and researchers alike.

More: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/column.php?id=333756

Well, 'J.P Robinson', amongst the first couple of claims you make, you say that the Moon is "precisely 400 times smaller than the Sun".

No, it isn't.  The ratio of Sun/Moon size is ~403.

Then you say it is "exactly 400 times closer to the Earth".

No, it isn't.  The ratio of the Sun/Moon distance is ~389.

J.P, your 'exactness' and 'preciseness' is woeful.  This is just bad numerology (is there any good numerology....?)

Please don't make claims that are exaggerated and untrue.  I won't waste my time on further corrections- making two egregious errors like that right at the start, tends to indicate what type of  'article' this is.

UM, can you bounce this sort of stuff off an astronomer before posting?  Where's Waspie?  :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 1:01 AM, ChrLzs said:

I won't waste my time on further corrections- making two egregious errors like that right at the start, tends to indicate what type of  'article' this is.

NASA astronauts have tested the Moon's density on several occasions using seismic equipment and have reported officially that the Moon rings like a bell when struck.

Apparently the rest of the article leads into the Hollow Moon Theory. :rolleyes:

NASA interview

mm: What do you think about hollow Moon theory? Is there any evidence that confirm this?

Renee_Weber: None of our results support that theory.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Old thread, but not to me.

I've seen most of these theories before and it is interesting reading. I don't like to close my mind off in denial, but on the other hand, can't just swallow nonsense either.

Anyway, as i said, it was interesting....all the way up until I saw the name "John Lear", who IMO is a crackpot. I've had run in's with him before. He once thought me a spy. LOL! This is a guy who believes every planet in our solar system is inhabited. It's no wonder that even Bob Lazar stopped talking to him years ago..

I don't think the moon being hollow is all that far fetched. And when I say hollow, I mean possibly cavernous.

The distance of the Earth, and thus the Moon, from the Sun varies considerably, between about 91 and 95 million miles. The Moon also varies in its distance from the Earth. Because of these facts, the apparent size ratio of the Sun and Moon varies quite a bit. At times the Moon doesn't fully cover the Sun, during what would otherwise be a total eclipse. A ring of the Sun's surface is seen all around the Moon.

Judging by the way the Moon moves, its 'moment of inertia', it must be nearly solid, throughout. The way seismic waves travel through the Moon confirms the existence of a small dense core, with most of the rest of the interior of the Moon of  moderate, consistent density. We know of some caves on the Moon, formed by voids in lava flows, but these must be negligible in volume, compared to the bulk of the Moon.  

Edited by bison
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2020 at 3:08 AM, jbondo said:

I don't think the moon being hollow is all that far fetched. And when I say hollow, I mean possibly cavernous.

As bison pointed out, physics says "no".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2020 at 6:01 PM, ChrLzs said:

Then you say it is "exactly 400 times closer to the Earth".

No, it isn't.  The ratio of the Sun/Moon distance is ~389.

Potato,Patata.Lets crucify him, lol.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many times wrote about the moon.
Who knows the past of the moon for that there are no secrets why it is so.

The moon is the Mother of the Earth, respectively, the Earth is her daughter, so I am not surprised that from the link in the first message it says that the lunar rock is 5.3 billion years old and the Earth is only 3.5 billion years old. The moon is hollow because the Lunans live inside it like in an anthill and dug large and long passages there with their super-technological and magical devices . So the moon is not some kind of space object or an alien ship, it is a populated planet, they just live inside and not outside because they lost the surface of the planet.
All knowledge about the Moon is on Earth, only scientists do not see what is under their feet.
The moon will exist until the Order is established on Earth in the heads of people, and then our planet will go into the state of Jupiter.

• Haha 3

On 6/24/2020 at 2:17 PM, Coil said:

The moon is the Mother of the Earth, respectively, the Earth is her daughter, so I am not surprised that from the link in the first message it says that the lunar rock is 5.3 billion years old and the Earth is only 3.5 billion years old. The moon is hollow because the Lunans live inside it like in an anthill and dug large and long passages there with their super-technological and magical devices . So the moon is not some kind of space object or an alien ship, it is a populated planet, they just live inside and not outside because they lost the surface of the planet.
All knowledge about the Moon is on Earth, only scientists do not see what is under their feet.
The moon will exist until the Order is established on Earth in the heads of people, and then our planet will go into the state of Jupiter.

OMG you are funny.  Surprised that you didn't tell us that fairies and goblins and Putin were from the Moon.

Are leprechauns from the Moon as well or do they shoot directly out of the Sun?

I'm so sure that scientists can't see what is  under their feet but uneducated loonies can. :whistle:

• Haha 3

On 6/24/2020 at 8:17 PM, Coil said:

Normally I would assume that a post like this was just meant as a joke, but with you I am sadly convinced that you are serious. :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/27/2020 at 11:33 PM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Normally I would assume that a post like this was just meant as a joke, but with you I am sadly convinced that you are serious. :(

Astrology as a science was very accurate among ancient peoples and they clearly indicated:

The Moon  is associated with the mother and with feminine energy in general. The Moon is both our inner child and our inner mother. It is responsive, receptive, and reflective. The Moon is our spontaneous and instinctual reactions.

We can also think of the Moon as that which gives us animation. It rules rhythmic ebb and flow of activity and energy. The Moon is a mediator between the inner world and the outer world.
For some of us, our Moons seem to drive our personalities more than the Sun does. This is particularly true if the Moon is in a water sign (Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces).

https://cafeastrology.com/moon.html

This is a hint that before the state of the Earth (the dense state of matter) we were on the moon in less dense forms and at present the moon affects our ebbs and flows.

Edited by Coil
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Coil said:

Astrology as a science 

Four words in and you have the first mistake....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Four words in and you have the first mistake....

Even if you remove this word, nothing will change. Their calculations were so accurate that they even knew the shape of a disk-shaped galaxy that without exact devices it is impossible to establish. And  who knows why animals on earth are such? And astrology gives knowledge that animal species, birds and man were formed under the influence of the main constellations Aries, Leo, Eagle and Sagittarius. And these animals and the human face are depicted in the image of the sphinx (the keeper of holiness) and the image of cherubs that specify the types of formations of creatures.

Spoiler

409086.jpg

image.jpg

On 6/25/2020 at 3:17 AM, Coil said:

Oh my God, this is the final proof I have been looking far, there is no longer any intelligent life in this post, the empty noggin theory has finally been proven to exist!!!!!! :w00t::o:wacko:

Peace, gotta go!!!!!

• Like 3

Being a gardener it is well known that's seeds germinate better during a full moon,sounds a bit out there and hippy drippy but is a fact.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
On 7/2/2020 at 3:03 AM, openozy said:

Being a gardener it is well known that's seeds germinate better during a full moon,sounds a bit out there and hippy drippy but is a fact.

I have googled for like 30 minutes to find something about the Moon's polarized light and its influence on germinating. All I could find was something from 1926:

https://www.chamorroroots.com/v7/index.php/pubs-projects/49-taotao-tano/history/358-planting-by-the-moon-and-tide

• Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I have googled for like 30 minutes to find something about the Moon's polarized light and its influence on germinating.

Dive tourists go nuts when the subject comes up... 

The Great Barrier Reef's annual coral spawning phenomenon is known as the largest sexual event on the planet. For one night only, when the water temperatures are just right and the full moon is shining, the corals release egg and sperm bundles into the ocean for fertilization.Dec 5, 2019
blog.padi.com › 2019/12/05 › the-g...

~

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I have googled for like 30 minutes to find something about the Moon's polarized light and its influence on germinating. All I could find was something from 1926:

https://www.chamorroroots.com/v7/index.php/pubs-projects/49-taotao-tano/history/358-planting-by-the-moon-and-tide

Good find, this is a prime example of how science ignores or puts aside anything that can't be explained. Anything  paranormal has no chance of being accepted at this stage, they really need to get their heads out of the sand to stop slowing our growth as a species.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, openozy said:

Good find, this is a prime example of how science ignores or puts aside anything that can't be explained. Anything  paranormal has no chance of being accepted at this stage, they really need to get their heads out of the sand to stop slowing our growth as a species.

It doesn't appear to me as something paranormal, and that is why I searched for a link between polarized moonlight and plant growth. And the reason I searched for it online for half an hour is because I'm quite sure I've read it somewhere.

Btw., I am a gardener too. For some 6 years now.

In another life I was a chemical analyst.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

It doesn't appear to me as something paranormal, and that is why I searched for a link between polarized moonlight and plant growth. And the reason I searched for it online for half an hour is because I'm quite sure I've read it somewhere.

Btw., I am a gardener too. For some 6 years now.

In another life I was a chemical analyst.

I don't think this is what would be classed as paranormal either but it shows the disregard for anything that can't be explained scientifically atm. That's the point I was trying to make.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1

So, you can't spot the rather obvious difference between something that has in-your-face obvious effects like a coral reef spawning that is heavily documented and witnessed, versus unevidenced stories alleging a germination effect? The two are NOT the same in any meaningful sense. And science (quite sensibly) generally does NOT look into stuff that is not well evidenced.  Increased/better germination of terrestrial plants linked to moon phase is something that simply is NOT well-evidenced.

If it was a significant effect, don't you think that ALL farmers would use this?

From a respected journal...

"BELIEFS that phases of the moon have a differential effect on the rate of development of plants are both ancient and world-wide. Proof by rational experiment seems to have been sought more hundred and fifty years ago by La Quin-tins the horticulturist, and some years later by Dunamel du Monceau1, the forester. Neither obtained any positive evidence of lunar influence. Since then, scientific interest in the subject has been revived intermittently, either by the ‘rediscovery’ of lunar rites in the agriculture of civilized countries, or by the impact on Europeans of the impressive faith of primitive peoples, particularly in the tropics and sub-tropics..."

BTW, a minor point, but one which suggests the 'research' needs a lot of work.. Direct moonlight from a full moon is not, repeat NOT polarised.  From lesser phases it is very slightly polarised but the effect is vanishingly tiny and of course the amount of light is lessened..  Plus afaik there is no proposed chemical / physical explanation of the mechanism - why is that tiny bit of polarising significant, when the simple amount of light is obviously much more significant.

Some people just like to bash science (while tapping away on their computer....).

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1

Stop Press - here you go, from MDPI:

Abstract: This paper reviews the beliefs which drive some agricultural sectors to consider the lunar
influence as either a stress or a beneficial factor when it comes to organizing their tasks
. To address
the link between lunar phases and agriculture from a scientific perspective, we conducted a review
of textbooks and monographs used to teach agronomy, botany, horticulture and plant physiology;
we also consider the physics that address the effects of the Moon on our planet. Finally, we review the
scientific literature on plant development, specifically searching for any direct or indirect reference
to the influence of the Moon on plant physiology.

We found that there is no reliable, science-based evidence for any relationship between lunar phases
and plant physiology in any plant–science related textbooks or peer-reviewed journal articles
justifying
agricultural practices conditioned by the Moon.  Nor does evidence from the field of physics support
causal relationship between lunar forces and plant responses.
Therefore, popular agricultural
practices that are tied to lunar phases have no scientific backing. We strongly encourage teachers
involved in plant sciences education to objectively address pseudo-scientific ideas and promote
critical thinking.

• Like 2