Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Living robots built using frog cells

Eldorado

"A book is made of wood. But it is not a tree. The dead cells have been repurposed to serve another need.

"Now a team of scientists has repurposed living cells -- scraped from frog embryos -- and assembled them into entirely new life-forms.

"These millimeter-wide "xenobots" can move toward a target, perhaps pick up a payload (like a medicine that needs to be carried to a specific place inside a patient) -- and heal themselves after being cut."

Full monty at Science Daily: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/01/200113175653.htm

"A scalable pipeline for designing reconfigurable organisms"

Research article at PNAS: https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/01/07/1910837117

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"xenobots" 

:huh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Wait till they move on to turtles... and flushed a few down the drain 

~

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Wait till they move on to turtles... and flushed a few down the drain 

~

That happened back in the 80's they grew up to be ninjas.

• Haha 5

Now all we need is a rat... 

~

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Now all we need is a rat... 

Check Hong Kong :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Check Hong Kong :o

Checked... Sweet and sour or deep fry crispy with onions and chili? 

~

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Checked... Sweet and sour or deep fry crispy with onions and chili? 

The first thing I learned there *Eat nothing from street vendors*.

Then I saw one boiling down old cardboard boxes from a alley to make crispy somen out of. :blink:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

"A book is made of wood. But it is not a tree. The dead cells have been repurposed to serve another need.

"Now a team of scientists has repurposed living cells -- scraped from frog embryos -- and assembled them into entirely new life-forms.

"These millimeter-wide "xenobots" can move toward a target, perhaps pick up a payload (like a medicine that needs to be carried to a specific place inside a patient) -- and heal themselves after being cut."

Full monty at Science Daily: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/01/200113175653.htm

Research article at PNAS: https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/01/07/1910837117

This is quite worrying. We are talking about creating cyborgs here :( 

• Haha 1

The applications for this is huge. This creation was very very small.

We could put them in the body to remove cancer cells and tumors with percision, to clean water and remove pollutants. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

This is quite worrying. We are talking about creating cyborgs here :( 

Somebody who has a artificial limb or pacemaker is technically a "cyborg" and these things are not A.I.

Organic mechanicals would be a good thing. Less waste of resources and less pollutants. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Then I saw one boiling down old cardboard boxes from a alley to make crispy somen out of. :blink:

I don't believe stories like that, we folks knows our food, I've heard similar horror stories from tourists when what they witnessed was some of the mushrooms or some variant of the tou foo / bean curd skins, some of which I have heard described as cardboard because it was undercooked 

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My first thought after reading the goal of the research is "replicants" like the ones on Star Trek and Stargate.  We do not need that.

• Haha 2

From the sound of it all they do is chop up some cells and re-arrange them, and they clump up. How is that a robot? How do you program it? It's just a disfigured lump of cells. It can't do anything.

Edited by moonman

4 hours ago, Piney said:

In various places in China, street vendors are boiling down raw sewage for the oil to use for cooking. There’s videos, but I would not recommend       :rofl:

3 hours ago, Piney said:

Somebody who has a artificial limb or pacemaker is technically a "cyborg" and these things are not A.I.

Organic mechanicals would be a good thing. Less waste of resources and less pollutants. 

The adeptus mechanicus would like to have a word with you.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

My first thought after reading the goal of the research is "replicants" like the ones on Star Trek and Stargate.  We do not need that.

Resistance is futile. Your biological and technological distinctiveness WILL serve The Borg ! 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Not a fan of bioengineering without strict controls. While we could gain much from this technology we could create the ultimate destruction of the human race. In my opinion this technology can be used for evil as easily as good.

peace

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

The applications for this is huge. This creation was very very small.

We could put them in the body to remove cancer cells and tumors with percision, to clean water and remove pollutants. 

While I don't disagree entirely with your comments. This technology could also lead to viruses that are buy products of cures that could destroy us all if not very very closely controlled. I don't mean to be negative about this, and I do see the Bennfits, but I think we have to closely consider both sides of this technology.

peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

While I don't disagree entirely with your comments. This technology could also lead to viruses that are buy products of cures that could destroy us all if not very very closely controlled. I don't mean to be negative about this, and I do see the Bennfits, but I think we have to closely consider both sides of this technology.

peace

Almost all technology and advances throughout time have a double edge blade and unintended consequences.

It's the nature of things. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Almost all technology and advances throughout time have a double edge blade and unintended consequences.

It's the nature of things. 

I certainly agree that technological advances do have unintended consequences, and it is certainly the nature of things. But with technology like this the unintended consequence could be the end of the human race. All I am saying is great care must be taken when dealing with this type biological technology, and a great deal of testing must be done before licensing it for use.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender

There's nothing here to be worried about. It's a brainless clump of cells. It can do absolutely nothing. There is no way to tell it what to do. Save the worry for when they figure out how to program cells to perform actual tasks, THAT'S the dangerous/actually useful bit.

This isn't even a baby step to the doom and gloom you people are talking about.

Edited by moonman

16 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I certainly agree that technological advances do have unintended consequences, and it is certainly the nature of things. But with technology like this the unintended consequence could be the end of the human race. All I am saying is great care must be taken when dealing with this type biological technology, and a great deal of testing must be done before licensing it for use.

Peace

That was explored in Star Trek as well, the biopack computer components got a virus that affected the ship.  Another time the virus affected the crew.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, moonman said:

There's nothing here to be worried about. It's a brainless clump of cells. It can do absolutely nothing. There is no way to tell it what to do. Save the worry for when they figure out how to program cells to perform actual tasks, THAT'S the dangerous/actually useful bit.

This isn't even a baby step to the doom and gloom you people are talking about.

As you have stated there is no way to tell what it will do. Every step is a step toward furture application, the time to look for both the positive and the negative is now before mistakes or possible out comes occur, not when the process is perfected. This will tell us if it is practice to proceed or to reevaluate our stance and stop. 

Peace

• Like 1