Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

UK Speaker spent £12k on parties for staff

26 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

"Former Commons Speaker John Bercow spent £1,000 on a taxi fare and £12,000 on leaving parties for staff in the run-up to his retirement.

"Mr Bercow, who stood down before the election, also spent £7,000 on a US visit in his final months in the job.

"His expenses were obtained via a Daily Mail Freedom of Information request.

"A Commons spokesman said the 260-mile trip from London to Nottingham, in April, was made by taxi rather than train for security reasons."

Full monty at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51109296

"John Bercow's golden goodbye"

At the UK Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7881225/John-Bercow-expensed-1-000-taxi-Nottingham-final-months-Speaker.html

Edited by Eldorado
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
4 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"Former Commons Speaker John Bercow spent £1,000 on a taxi fare and £12,000 on leaving parties for staff in the run-up to his retirement.

"Mr Bercow, who stood down before the election, also spent £7,000 on a US visit in his final months in the job.

"His expenses were obtained via a Daily Mail Freedom of Information request.

"A Commons spokesman said the 260-mile trip from London to Nottingham, in April, was made by taxi rather than train for security reasons."

Full monty at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51109296

"John Bercow's golden goodbye"

At the UK Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7881225/John-Bercow-expensed-1-000-taxi-Nottingham-final-months-Speaker.html

Well would you look at that. 

When you constantly threaten an MP and try to paint them as a traitor for months, you end up paying more for their security. 

Well who'd have thought? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56

Typical.  We have a similar news story about a politician in the states.  And a local mayor or commissioner who did the same and finally got fired because he charged a family trip to Hawaii on his government budget.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn

some right excuses used, these privileged people of state take full advantage of their position and tax payer. they really do think they are a class above. £7,000 to go to America. claimed for Sky television £118 a month. £13,000 going to Canada, £12,000 Australia. £12,000 on parties. and, AND his salary was greater than that of the Prime Minister. at £150,000 a year. taking the absolute p***. drain the swamp.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome

"ORDERRRRR!!" 

"Two large gin & tonics, John's paying"

 

A little later in the evening ..
"ORDERRRR! Or we will have to call the Riot Police again"

You know what these parties are like with these people.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome

 

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

said the 260-mile trip from London to Nottingham, in April, was made by taxi rather than train for security reasons."

"Security reasons"? He was afraid that if word got around that the traitor who was continually despising the Will of the People by delaying Brexit was on the train, a furious mob of pro-brexioteers would storm First Class and throw him out of a window somewhere near Wellingborough? :mellow:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
19 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

 

"Security reasons"? He was afraid that if word got around that the traitor who was continually despising the Will of the People 

And that kind of thing is why he needed extra security. Same as several other MPs and all paid for by the taxpayer. 

Here's a thought, seeing as how @RabidMongoose @stevewinn @bee etc. are so rabidly against any kind of socialism, maybe only those who made such comments should foot the bill.

The leavers can have a tax hike and the rest of us get a rebate. 

Or has socialism suddenly become more appealing? 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
3 hours ago, stevewinn said:

some right excuses used, these privileged people of state take full advantage of their position and tax payer. they really do think they are a class above. £7,000 to go to America. claimed for Sky television £118 a month. £13,000 going to Canada, £12,000 Australia. £12,000 on parties. and, AND his salary was greater than that of the Prime Minister. at £150,000 a year. taking the absolute p***. drain the swamp.

and that is just a pi$$ in a sea, that is exactly why they go into politics,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Essan

Expenses in all these cases may be justified and acceptable,   But, could they have been less?  Did he ensure best value in every case?  That's the difference between those who are responsible guardians and those who don't give a toss cos it's someone else's money.   The latter generally being people who already have far more money than they need, and far less than they want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome
17 minutes ago, Setton said:

And that kind of thing is why he needed extra security. Same as several other MPs and all paid for by the taxpayer. 

You don't think that may have been slightly sarcastic, the part you quoted I mean?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
15 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

You don't think that may have been slightly sarcastic, the part you quoted I mean?

D'you know, it's almost impossible to tell when people start talking Brexit these days... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
5 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"Former Commons Speaker John Bercow spent £1,000 on a taxi fare and £12,000 on leaving parties for staff in the run-up to his retirement.

"Mr Bercow, who stood down before the election, also spent £7,000 on a US visit in his final months in the job.

"His expenses were obtained via a Daily Mail Freedom of Information request.

"A Commons spokesman said the 260-mile trip from London to Nottingham, in April, was made by taxi rather than train for security reasons."

Full monty at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51109296

"John Bercow's golden goodbye"

At the UK Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7881225/John-Bercow-expensed-1-000-taxi-Nottingham-final-months-Speaker.html

I liked how several times he looked like he was on the verge of crying on election night in the Sky News studio.

We want him to be safe, no really we do. Otherwise he doesnt turn up at destinations to look like he is about to cry for us lmao.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
2 hours ago, Setton said:

And that kind of thing is why he needed extra security. Same as several other MPs and all paid for by the taxpayer. 

Here's a thought, seeing as how @RabidMongoose @stevewinn @bee etc. are so rabidly against any kind of socialism, maybe only those who made such comments should foot the bill.

The leavers can have a tax hike and the rest of us get a rebate. 

Or has socialism suddenly become more appealing? 

All sides get threats and always have done none more than Farage, JRM and his Family have constantly been threatened they just don't deal in 'fake outrage' if anyone is entitled to a rebate it's Brexiteers, Remoaners have cost the country billions sabotaging Brexit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
7 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

All sides get threats and always have done none more than Farage, JRM and his Family have constantly been threatened 

Yet they are still able to wander freely around Whitehall without security. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bee

 

10 hours ago, Setton said:

And that kind of thing is why he needed extra security. Same as several other MPs and all paid for by the taxpayer. 

Here's a thought, seeing as how @RabidMongoose @stevewinn @bee etc. are so rabidly against any kind of socialism, maybe only those who made such comments should foot the bill.

The leavers can have a tax hike and the rest of us get a rebate. 

Or has socialism suddenly become more appealing? 

 

god you never stop with your trolling remarks do you... :rolleyes:

for the record I am into a healthy mix of 'capitalism' and 'socialism' where the economically poor end of society
is taken care of in various ways and the entrepreneurs are encouraged to create wealth and jobs....

if people were allowed to get on with what they were good at and valued for that... whether it be business, the
arts and entertainment, health, teaching, doing basic jobs that underpin society like cleaning, cooking, working in 
factories and shops..... if we all worked together and valued each others contribution then this world would be a much
better place.... personal freedoms and responsibility and good education is better to have IMO.... rather than
being told what to do and how to think every minute of the day... like you might get with extremes... political
and religious extremes....

All skills and occupations go to make up the whole.... what good is a managing director if the premises are filthy
and the toilets don't work and sewage system breaks down..... but the organizational skills of a manager are
needed as well...  

 

Edited by bee
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
4 hours ago, Setton said:

Yet they are still able to wander freely around Whitehall without security. 

They've had the same threats and Farage as actually been attacked a few times, so what is the difference? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
15 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

"Security reasons"? He was afraid that if word got around that the traitor who was continually despising the Will of the People by delaying Brexit was on the train, a furious mob of pro-brexioteers would storm First Class and throw him out of a window somewhere near Wellingborough? :mellow:

I think he had to go by Taxi because Wellingborough Council objected to the above scenario ? 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

They've had the same threats and Farage as actually been attacked a few times, so what is the difference? 

They obviously haven't had the same threats, or they'd have the same security. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
10 minutes ago, Setton said:

They obviously haven't had the same threats, or they'd have the same security. 

More likely the snowflakes have requested it, all part of the 'fake outrage' brigade.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
14 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

More likely the snowflakes have requested it, all part of the 'fake outrage' brigade.

Not how security for public officials works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
39 minutes ago, Setton said:

Not how security for public officials works. 

Yes it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
3 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

Yes it is.

Ah, the erudite and evidenced argument we've come to know and love... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
47 minutes ago, Setton said:

Ah, the erudite and evidenced argument we've come to know and love... 

Like your reply of 'it's not how it works' a stunning amount of information there, i'm not going to do you're boring back and forth insults, if you can't put up an argument about the subject don't bother, you do it on nearly every post and it's childish, sorry mate but you need to grow up, i'll not be replying to this so don't you bother.

I often get posts removed when i'm replying to 'Setton' could the monitor please tell my why in future, when they are, thank you.

Edited by hetrodoxly
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast

hxNXkja.png?1

Edited by toast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere
On 1/14/2020 at 4:44 PM, Setton said:

Well would you look at that. 

When you constantly threaten an MP and try to paint them as a traitor for months, you end up paying more for their security. 

Well who'd have thought? 

Err.... Who 'constantly threatened him'? 

Examples please. 

Or are you just highlighting the fact that he made himself unpopular with the majority of the population because he did everything in his power to defy them. Which he undeniably did. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.