Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skyscrapers of the future made out of wood?

Still Waters

UNTIL ABOUT YOUR grandparents’ childhood—or maybe your great-grandparents'—the world was made of wood. Everything from weapons and wheels, barrels and houses, tools for cooking and industry, was at least in part derived from materials taken from the bodies of trees. People were born in oak beds and rocked in poplar cradles and killed by walnut-stock rifles and buried in pine coffins.

Now a growing industry wants to bring back the golden age of wood starting with skyscrapers. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/01/skyscrapers-of-the-future-will-be-made-out-of-wood/

• Like 1

No to tall buildings of nothing but wood for me. That is just asking to be the new version of burning man in today's world.

The  big mill and lamination plant I worked in still made very large wooden beams and trusses for multi-story  warehouses and manufacturing facilities.  Mu;ti-story meaning 3-4 not 40-50 or more.

During a fire, steel beams hold until they get soft and fail all at once, large wooden beams burn from the outside pretty slowly and hold their strength longer.  Steel is cheaper, but wooden beams are still in demand.  I think the Danish are working with some ut to 10 stories made out of pre-made sandwich panels 

Not saying I would trust a wooden empire state building either, but steel and concrete didn't keep the two WTC towers from collapsing.  Sadly just about anything we build at great expense and effort, some jerk can come along and destroy somehow.